PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Tail Workshop & Swimming Meet-up - Orlando & Rainbow Springs, FL - June 15-16

Moonflower
04-15-2013, 06:37 PM
****EDIT!!!! AGAIN!!!!****
PLEASE NOTE: The date of the swimming meet-up has been changed BACK to the 16th of June, due to the professional filming crew changing their schedule! However, as this piece may air on TV at some point, they are offering any mermaid/merman extras monetary incentive to be on camera!! Please PM me if you are interested in attending so I can fill you in on more details!!

Hello everyone! So, this past weekend I was approached by several acquaintances who all wanted to know several things: How I made my tail, what material I used, how did I learn the things I do, etc...

So, I decided to hold a workshop of sorts at my place, here in Orlando. I can accommodate up to 6 mers for the workshop, but you will be required to bring your own materials! This will be a CLOTH tail workshop, for both spandex and neoprene tails.
The day after, we'll have a meet-up at Rainbow Springs so everyone can play in their new tails! Everyone is welcome to join us!

For the workshop (June 15th in Orlando, FL 10:00am - 8:00pm):
What you will need to bring:

1 - Your own monofin. It does NOT matter what kind. However, if you wish to extend your fin like I have in my tutorial video, I would prefer to use either the Finis Rapid or the Finis Wave to do this.

2 - Your own material. You can choose whatever you like in spandex or neoprene. Please note that your spandex needs to be all-stretch (meaning, it will stretch no matter what direction you pull it in). You will need a minimum of 3 yards of material for your tail, possibly a bit more if you are making an extended fluke or want extra for a top or fins, etc... Also, if you are buying spandex, make sure it's relatively thick material. The more "heavy duty" it is, the less see-thru it may become in the water. If you're in the Orlando area, check out the Sewing Studio (sewing.net), as they have an AMAZING selection of spandex.
Neoprene can usually be purchased online at several different websites, in many different colors. Neoprene can be painted and will last much longer than a spandex tail.
Please also bring 2" wide elastic for the waist of your tail. You only need enough to fit snugly around your waist. This helps prevent the material from falling down when you swim, and stops water from entering as well.

3 - Your own embellishments - Paint, rhinestones, netting, shells, etc... Whatever you want to add to your tail to make it "you". Please note, that if you want to "scale" a tail, you should start with neoprene, but I don't believe we will have time to scale an entire tail in one day... You can always make your tail at the workshop and scale it later ^_^

This will be a FREE workshop, but please bring money for food. We will be making a trip to Home Depot and to JoAnn's for additional items we may need, and you will need to cover your own items there.

Hopefully, we'll be filming various parts of our workshop so those who can't attend can have some questions answered and see what the overall process is like! Please PM me if you'd like to be added to the list, and I will provide you with my address once we get closer to the 15th!

For the meet-up (Sunday, June 16th, 10:00am - 5:00pm):
We will be meeting at Rainbow Springs at 10:00am. It is $2.00 per person to get in, there are facilities there to change in, and it is recommended that you bring a picnic lunch and plenty of fluids. The water here is GORGEOUS, and perfect for taking pictures and videos! There's also a dock we can get changed on before we dive in. EVERYONE is welcome here, the more the mer-rier, just remember to be respectful of the others who may be visiting as well. They are typically open until 6 or so.

Also, REMEMBER THE SUNSCREEN! A burned mer is an unhappy mer.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here! ^_^

Attendees:
1. Mermaid Gosalyn

MerEmma
04-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Ooh, this sounds fantastic. I don't think I could get my mom to take me and if I did, I'd either end up having a swim meet or a theatre performance...it sounds AMAZING though! SO wish I could come and if I end up not-busy, I might consider it. Uggh, wish I could come!

AniaR
04-15-2013, 07:36 PM
oooh this is so cool! <3 I hope you have a great time.

Taniira
04-15-2013, 08:16 PM
OMG I really want to do this. I have to see if I can since it's the weekend before Scapey gets here from Scotland. I'm going to talk to my Divemaster/close friend and see if she wants to come down too so I can split a hotel -- I doubt she'd want to do the workshop but I think she'd jump at a chance to go to Rainbow Springs, and IIRC, she has an underwater DSLR setup.

I'll get back to you! I have to make sure she's not out on a boat!

Carolina Mermaid
04-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Dang it! I won't be vacationing in Florida until the 20th.

Blondie
04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
This looks like fun! I'm considering going to the meetup! I've always wanted to go to Rainbow River!

ubergirlie
04-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Oooh. What an awesome idea and what a generous offer to host this! I would definitely be interested taking part in the workshop and the meetup. I just have to see if I'm going to be in NYC that weekend or not.

Mermaid Saphira
04-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Oh, I wish i could attend! This sounds like such a great time :3 Perhaps I could ask >.>

Moonflower
04-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Just so everyone knows, I have nearly 20 years of sewing experience, 15 years cosplaying, and 10 owning my own costuming business. <3

Mermaid Dottie
04-16-2013, 03:52 PM
you are my new hero. <3

Mermaid Gosalyn
04-19-2013, 02:12 AM
Ooh, ooh, add me, add me! XD

Mermaid Nerinae
04-19-2013, 05:27 AM
D: But I don't live in FL afaslfdkjgh. The springs there sound like such a wonderful place to swim. ;;
I'm jelly(fish) of you all. /o/

Kanti
04-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Cool!
I wonder if I'll be able to go o_O

Patches
04-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Cool!
I wonder if I'll be able to go o_O

If you go, I'll go with you. We can make the trip up there together so neither of us has to go alone.

Kanti
04-19-2013, 04:30 PM
Thatd be badass :'D
I have no idea if I'll have the time or money to at the moment so when it gets closer I'll make a more educated decision xD

Blondie
04-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Ditto on that xD I think I'll have the money. I just need to make sure I'm not working that day or I have an event to film. I need to get my mermaid mojo going again.

Moonflower
04-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Just to clarify, you'll need to bring your own materials, not give the money to me for them. I don't want anyone to show up without stuff to work with! <3

Patches
04-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Thatd be badass :'D
I have no idea if I'll have the time or money to at the moment so when it gets closer I'll make a more educated decision xD

I'll go half with you on gas and stuff. :3 I've been wanting to go there foreverrrr.

NerineArcticMermaid
04-24-2013, 12:41 AM
wish I coul go to the spring swim butam planning a swim in Alabama. foraround mid may.

Patches
04-24-2013, 11:56 PM
I have a question. What about sleeping arrangements? I don't know if I'll have the money for a hotel. :3 I can get up there via bus or probably train and get back home but it still costs about 130 bucks >_> And I gotta buy food for myself for those two days. And I'll probably buy fabric and stuff for a tail when I get there. Carrying my tail and anything else up there is already annoying as it is so I'd rather buy the stuff to make a tail when I get there.

Moonflower
04-25-2013, 01:43 AM
I have a question. What about sleeping arrangements? I don't know if I'll have the money for a hotel. :3 I can get up there via bus or probably train and get back home but it still costs about 130 bucks >_> And I gotta buy food for myself for those two days. And I'll probably buy fabric and stuff for a tail when I get there. Carrying my tail and anything else up there is already annoying as it is so I'd rather buy the stuff to make a tail when I get there.

That would have to be up to you. I will say, you'll be hard-pressed to find a place that sells neoprene around here (I know, I've looked), and JoAnn's only has a limited selection... We *could* go to the Sewing Studio, which has the BEST SELECTION EVER of spandex, but it's a bit out of the way... You will also need to get your monofin before arriving here...

As for sleeping, people are welcome to stay here, but I have limited floor space, and you may end up sleeping ON the floor as opposed to a couch or my futon... I also have a pair of cats (just in case anyone is allergic) who LOVE people.

Honestly, though, I would be much happier if people were able to shuttle themselves around while in town, and didn't rely on me... I would feel really bad if I couldn't accommodate everyone for everything... Case in point, I will be able to take 3 others with me in my car to Rainbow Springs from here, but I have a feeling we'll be carpooling there with more than just me as a driver...

Taniira
04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Ok, I'm definitely interested but it depends completely on my friend who works as a researcher on fishing boats and so is often gone for weeks at a time, who would share gas/hotel cost with me, though I'll check with one of my other friend's, too. I probably wouldn't know until mid-May at the earliest if I could come. When I find out and if there's still space I'll sign up.

WavyMermaidy
04-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Have been not checking MN as often as I should, but I came upon this thread thankfully...I am not sure of my work schedule in summer (right now I work on Sundays and it may be hard to switch) but I would love to be able to come to the meet-up. Still haven't been to Rainbow Springs yet!

XMermaidMarinaX
04-28-2013, 11:01 AM
I think I'll be able to go. So I am definitely going to try and make it for the meet-up.

Moonflower
04-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Yay! It looks like we may have a huge pod of mers coming! I'm so excited!! I hope everyone can make it! There's nothing like being with friends when you're in your tail ^_^

Moonflower
04-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Hmmm... I really hope the weather is nice that weekend... I just realized I'll be in Coral Gables the Sunday following (our rain date) for a book signing with Neil Gaiman...

Patches
04-30-2013, 12:01 PM
That would have to be up to you. I will say, you'll be hard-pressed to find a place that sells neoprene around here (I know, I've looked), and JoAnn's only has a limited selection... We *could* go to the Sewing Studio, which has the BEST SELECTION EVER of spandex, but it's a bit out of the way... You will also need to get your monofin before arriving here...

As for sleeping, people are welcome to stay here, but I have limited floor space, and you may end up sleeping ON the floor as opposed to a couch or my futon... I also have a pair of cats (just in case anyone is allergic) who LOVE people.

Honestly, though, I would be much happier if people were able to shuttle themselves around while in town, and didn't rely on me... I would feel really bad if I couldn't accommodate everyone for everything... Case in point, I will be able to take 3 others with me in my car to Rainbow Springs from here, but I have a feeling we'll be carpooling there with more than just me as a driver...

If I could stay at your house then I can give some money for gas for driving up to Rainbow River. I looked it up on Google and it seems far from Orlando.
I have children's monofins. If I do not end up buying one extra for myself, I'll just make two simple children's tails with whatever they've got at Joanns.
If a couple people wanted to go to the Sewing Studio then I'd throw down for gas on that, too.

Moonflower
05-01-2013, 12:28 AM
If I could stay at your house then I can give some money for gas for driving up to Rainbow River. I looked it up on Google and it seems far from Orlando.
I have children's monofins. If I do not end up buying one extra for myself, I'll just make two simple children's tails with whatever they've got at Joanns.
If a couple people wanted to go to the Sewing Studio then I'd throw down for gas on that, too.

It is, it's about a 2 hour drive to Rainbow.

You are welcome to stay at my place ^_^

Blondie
05-01-2013, 01:44 AM
I'm really excited for this! I won't know till closer to the end of May if I can go or not though :\ that's when my schedule comes out. I'm PRETTY sure I can go since it's a Sunday and normally events at work don't land on Sundays. I don't think I'm going to go to the workshop. But I'm like 90% sure I'll go to the actual swim :3 Although Moon, xD your cats make my day on facebook. I just want to pet them hahaha!

Moonflower
05-01-2013, 05:00 AM
I'm really excited for this! I won't know till closer to the end of May if I can go or not though :\ that's when my schedule comes out. I'm PRETTY sure I can go since it's a Sunday and normally events at work don't land on Sundays. I don't think I'm going to go to the workshop. But I'm like 90% sure I'll go to the actual swim :3 Although Moon, xD your cats make my day on facebook. I just want to pet them hahaha!

YAY!! I really hope you can make it! Wait until you see Rainbow Springs, it's so lovely!! And there's tons of space to swim, too!

And, LOL My cats are nuts... Their favorite things to do right now are to lay on my laptop when I'm trying to write LOL

Patches
05-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Yay! I am so down for this. As soon as I get some money I'll see if I can find good rates on the train or bus to Orlando.

XMermaidMarinaX
05-15-2013, 03:04 PM
I hope I can attend, this sounds wonderful :) I also hope I can have my new tail ready by then.. I know it takes a while to make, so maybe if I order the materials and such.. I can at least start attatching scales to the neoprene.. I wonder how long this will take.. Oh well, it's worth it~
If my new tails not complete by then I'll bring my magictail..

Sea Pearl
05-15-2013, 11:27 PM
This sounds exciting! Shame I don't live there. Hope everyone who goes has a fantastic time.

Taniira
05-22-2013, 02:59 PM
I officially have to say I can't go. They're cutting my hours at work so I'm going to be on an I'll-be-lucky-to-eat budget for a while since both vacations I have planned are in summer so I won't be able to pick up a second job or find a new job until September. If a miracle happens and they bring my hours back up I'm hoping to be there!

NerineArcticMermaid
05-27-2013, 09:59 PM
I may be popping by for the swim... Depends on fundage. Its really close to Merpalooza so.. we shall see. Would love to get another swim vid at a spring. :D

Blondie
05-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Ughhh I don't know!!! I'm off that weekend :yay:
But... My sister is graduating and my family is coming in for a party possibly that weekend :\ Still tentative. ugh ugh

Moonflower
05-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Please note that the day of the meet-up for swimming has changed!! This is at the request of the film crew that is interested in filming us not being able to make it to the event on the 16th. I'm still not 100% sure they will be coming, but they for sure cannot make it on the 16th.

MerEmma
05-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Omg, the meet-up swim is on the 30th! That's a totally possible day for me to go but I doubt I'll be able to get my mom to take me. Still, I might try when it gets to be a better time! <3

Blondie
05-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Must check schedule at work tomorrow. Thursdays are good days for me normally ^^

Moonflower
05-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Must check schedule at work tomorrow. Thursdays are good days for me normally ^^

It's still on a Sunday... ??

Blondie
05-29-2013, 10:10 PM
It's still on a Sunday... ??
Whoops! Looked at the wrong month on accident! Sorry! Sunday still looks good so far xD

NerineArcticMermaid
05-29-2013, 10:50 PM
so what day is it now ? you should change the thread title.

Moonflower
06-01-2013, 02:50 AM
Guys, my apologies, the production crew wants to move the date back to the 16th, as they are interested in filming the workshop now as well. However, they are offering monetary incentive to any mermaid/merman who may appear on camera!! Please PM me if you're interested in attending so I can fill you in on more details that aren't allowed to be made public as of yet!!

Moonflower
06-14-2013, 05:26 PM
If anyone is coming to the workshop tomorrow and needs to get fabric for their tail, PLEASE let me know. I'm trying to figure out if we need to make the trip to The Sewing Studio or not...

Blondie
06-16-2013, 12:49 AM
Have fun everyone!!! I couldn't go because it's father's day and my family was going to go to Ichnetuckee. But the other day I fell down the stairs at work and injured my foot :\ I can't even swim normally because every time it bends it pulls on the cut and bruise. Blaaah so no springs at all for me. So lame. Please please please take lots of pictures

MerEmma
06-16-2013, 01:04 AM
Yes, yes! have fun! It's tomorrow? Have fun!

Blondie
06-17-2013, 02:00 AM
Piiiiiictures. I demand them xD

Sirenade
06-17-2013, 10:17 PM
How did it go?

WavyMermaidy
06-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Here are a few photos my mom got from the meetup...didn't get any underwater shots b/c I was in the last batch of mers trailered down to the water and 15 mins later we were asked to get back out. Then I left after filming. Apparently the other girls stayed and swam and had a good time, which I'm sorry I had to miss out on.

As for how it went otherwise, well, I should probably let Moonflower describe it if she would like since she organized it. There was a little drama (well, a lot actually), but not with any of us. I'll just say that in the photos of the 3 mers in the trailer that are below, if you are trying to figure out which of the 3 of us does not belong, it's the one on the right in the rainbow tail...she was using the tail for the day b/c she was interviewing us. Sorry to be a tease, but I just feel it's not necessarily my place to speak up for the whole event since I didn't organize it and I only came one of the two days.

We got interviewed at this picnic table, so we were just waiting for others to put on their tails

A bunch of bored mermaids waiting for filming to start...but don't we look purty!?!?

There's part of the film crew

We had to be trailered by the park rangers down to the water...we were the last batch to go. Our interviewer is on the right...

Just another shot of the trailer with the surrounding people...it was like the world's tiniest parade

Moonflower
06-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Dude, I'm so glad someone got pictures of her! I had a great time, despite the drama, because the group of mers that was there was just awesome! Seriously, thank you all for coming, and I hope you all had just as much fun as I did ^_^

The drama... okay... well... I'll just let this explain things because I don't feel like typing it all out (and I recorded this just minutes after getting home from the meet. My hair is still wet, as you can see):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mW8ikur0So
All I ask is that you don't share the video, as it is listed as private, and just for people I choose to show it to. Thank you <3

Also, side note, she put the tail on backwards. I don't know how you manage to get into a Finis Rapid upside down, but she did, and from those pictures, it appears they never fixed it (though I offered to help her do so several times before they carted her to the dock).

AniaR
06-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Moonflower you are hilarious. I love your video. I obviously wasnt there, but man haha it seems like it was fun and INTERESTING. haha.

Seriously around the 6 minute mark I started laughing so hard I cried.

I think you need to run a weekly vlog on happenings in the mer-community because this was EXTREMELY entertaining.

Blondie
06-18-2013, 06:52 PM
I think my reactions go like this...

Yay the meet up is today! I hope everyone has fun!
http://media.tumblr.com/691e21f0ea8bfdaef1dc02aba8d0aced/tumblr_inline_mnzpfb5oVY1qz4rgp.gif

This chick... Okay. Strange from description but okay...
http://media.tumblr.com/eaa63ed0bcff65753cc6eaf94b9f0f1d/tumblr_inline_mnxavaBZ6C1qz4rgp.gif

Talent starts rubbing her face and having a pre-melt down when asking questions.
http://media.tumblr.com/bf5b4cd2616e159268fe57d25eb585bd/tumblr_inline_mnxls4ie231qz4rgp.gif

Shit hits the fan.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/82ac50aa213ee66d3ad028576dee4227/tumblr_mnuk2bCPBs1s99dcoo1_r1_500.gif

All the other Mers and crew.
http://media.tumblr.com/5058d8f53a69ce3fdac8cd5fff889d54/tumblr_inline_mnijepqfAf1qz4rgp.gif

When she falls on her face.
http://media.tumblr.com/b4dd6c79aec8982c0c2dc2ba411cf758/tumblr_inline_mnzphkowBo1qz4rgp.gif

When she wouldn't take off the tail
http://media.tumblr.com/89f180f6687655b9c6240d44519d6c4a/tumblr_inline_mnerphMCxA1qz4rgp.gif

When the crew says it wasn't staged
http://24.media.tumblr.com/512ec9c93765544acca428c10c8845e6/tumblr_mnet8sVYNK1rsqjujo2_250.gif

Her tantrum
http://25.media.tumblr.com/530c2477d86ff7980bd82a8e6e4bc228/tumblr_mnet8sVYNK1rsqjujo5_250.gif

Her make up artist
http://media.tumblr.com/41b34a74f90884907864f2acc507a10c/tumblr_inline_mj8o3wuytP1qz4rgp.gif

Moon's reaction
http://25.media.tumblr.com/f4f4e6b69afd2690950190114b4b3c50/tumblr_mk2hzynkSz1r9kfc5o1_500.gif

WavyMermaidy
06-18-2013, 06:57 PM
OMG, that's so funny Blondie!!!!!!

Thought I should add too that my family, who was up near the sidewalk where she was being rolled around, also heard her say "I've been to the Golden Globes!!!" and "I'm MELTING!!!" She also almost skidded herself right out of her top on the sidewalk.

AniaR
06-18-2013, 06:59 PM
omfg. LOL now THIS is REAL drama... lol

Moonflower
06-19-2013, 09:05 AM
OMG, that's so funny Blondie!!!!!!

Thought I should add too that my family, who was up near the sidewalk where she was being rolled around, also heard her say "I've been to the Golden Globes!!!" and "I'm MELTING!!!" She also almost skidded herself right out of her top on the sidewalk.

LOL Yes, she did!! I totally forgot!! OMG please PLEASE tell me they got video of it!!!

I also want to add that her makeup person had to hold an umbrella over her while they drove IN THE SHADE and WALK NEXT TO HER as she was DRIVEN AROUND! LOL!!!

WavyMermaidy
06-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Oh I would've have shared THAT DAY if they'd have gotten video, lol...my mom had her phone but was so stunned watching it all she didn't think to get video. :D

Mermaid Gosalyn
06-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Blondie, that kinda sums it up perfectly, lol.

Moonflower
06-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Yes, Blondie, I love you for those! LOL!! Especially since you made me The Doctor ^_^

Blondie
06-21-2013, 02:02 AM
It was just too perfect xD I wish I could of come, but then I'm kinda glad I didn't. I don't like watching people lose their fucking minds O_o it scares me. But it was a wonderfully entertaining story to hear about.

NerineArcticMermaid
06-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Hey Wavy... send me those images withme please.. its ok they dont show my face...
nerinethemermaid@yahoo.com

NerineArcticMermaid
07-02-2013, 09:28 PM
So did anyone get and video of me from this event? even a clip would be grand.. Would love to see how well my new top flowed...

Mermaid Gosalyn
07-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I'd love to see any video as well! :)