PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Tail: To Make or Not To Make?

Mermaid420
04-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Hello Mer- Friends!
Ever since I was little, I was fascinated by mermaids, especially those with blue tails( Aquamarine/ Hannah Fraser/ Etc) Even though I was made fun of for my small obsessions by peers, I still continued my love for mermaids... In secret. (A little who I am! Sorry no more random stuff!)
I have always known of Hannah Fraser, and absolutely adore her tails!! I would love to make one of her tails( not a replica, just a tail in the blue color she uses since it is my favorite color, and maybe make it realistic) however, I am decided if it is worth it or not. I mean, there is no public pool currently, and if I made a tail and took it to the pool, I am afraid I would get made fun of, yelled at, etc. Nor do I have a pool myself. Therefore, I am caught between making a tail or not making a tail. Please help!

By the way, should I make a tail, I would like it to look somewhat like this:

Aziara
04-22-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm in exactly the same situation. I don't have a pool, and I can't even find a nearby public pool. My husband thinks I'm nuts for wanting to make a tail. Sometimes I think I am too...

AniaR
04-22-2013, 09:14 PM
you guys should both look at the tail making reference because it has all the comprehensive information that's available online, already put together in a neat post: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2633-%E2%98%86%E2%9A%A0TAILMAKING-REFERENCE-INDEX%E2%9A%A0%E2%98%86-Look-here-BEFORE-you-post-any-questions! Go there first, then post any questions that aren't answered :)

Mermaid Elena
05-02-2013, 02:48 PM
A while ago, I was in the same position. I wanted a tail so badly but all of my friends thought it was weird and my mom thought it was some weird sexual thing. I made one anyways on my own, in secret. Nobody knew about it until I went on a family vacation and just whipped it out and started swimming in it. My mom didn't like it but I didn't care. My little cousins loved it and it was so much fun. I would never go to a public pool in my tail just because it would be too weird. I'm lucky to be near quite a few beaches that I can go to and swim. At least at a beach, it's just a bunch of random people that you will probably never see again. If you're not close to a beach, I would try to plan a trip where you will be and can get some good use out of your tail. Even if you can use it for two days out of the year it's so much more worth it than never knowing what it is like to be a mermaid.

Mermaid Octavia
05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Where do you guys live, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Oregon, which isn't exactly known for its warmth (and I spent 18 years in Arizona!) but we have lots of public pools. The ocean is freezing though!

Mermaid Elena
05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm from Illinois but I live in Wisconsin now. The weather here isn't great either so I pretty much have to wait until summer to swim in my mermaid tail at all. I swim in Lake Michigan usually and it's pretty cold too.

Aziara
05-02-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm in Louisiana. It is hot a lot, but any natural waterways are so muddy you can't see your hand in front of your face.

Also, alligators.

Mermaid Octavia
05-03-2013, 12:25 AM
Are there any schools nearby that have pools? There's a high school down the street from us that allows people to use the pool during the times the swim team doesn't need it. There's also Parks & Recreation parts of the city government that might have pool listings? And YMCAs?

Mermaid Varshana
05-03-2013, 11:25 AM
my mom thought it was some weird sexual thing.

Wait....what? See, I think THAT'S weird.

Taylor is a Mermaid
05-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Unless you live way out in the country, there's got to be a public pool near you. They're everywhere! And most people will surprise you with how positive their reactions are. People aren't as judgmental as we think they are. I have only ever had positive reactions when swimming in my tail in public.
I didn't know how to sew at all until I made my first tail. It's nice to have and so fun to swim in, but equally as valuable to me is what I learned about sewing and painting from it and the pride I get whenever I look at the tail and think, "hey, I made that." So even if I don't get to use it as often as I want, just looking at it makes me happy and gives me a sense of accomplishment. Make that tail!

Mermaid Elena
05-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Wait....what? See, I think THAT'S weird.

Yes, my mom is super conservative and weird. She thinks it's wrong that I like horror movies.

Aziara
05-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Well, I've found a gym nearby with a pool, and also a member-only pool. Both membership fees are well outside my current budget :'(

Mermaid Elena
05-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Some people go to hotels and ask to swim in their pool. I still say make the tail! You never know when you will run into an opportunity where you could use it.

MerMarla
05-12-2013, 02:05 AM
Hi Mermaid420! You would learn so much if you make your tail, and have lots of pride in the accomplishment! I live in Massachusetts and our waters are cold here, too, be it lake, pond, river or ocean! Either I wait for warmer weather (and most of the water here really doesn't warm up) or use an pool. I'm lucky in there are 2 YMCA's within 1/2 hour from me, I just need to get a membership at one of them or go back to a club I joined (membership expired) close to my old house. I asked at both Y's, first if I could use fins, they said sure. Then I asked if I could us a monofin, and they didn't know what it was, so I described it, they said sure, I could use it. I didn't ask yet about the tail, first things first! Get them used to seeing the monofin, then ask about the tail. Somehow I don't think it would be a problem. I really believe you should go for it. Make your tail! There are lots of Mers here to help you! You're here, so come on in, enjoy the water!
Mermaid Marla