PDA

View Full Version : my performing basics

Odette
08-22-2011, 02:44 AM
i hope i can remember all of them. its fresh in my mind so ill tell you tonights perfomance:
another event at Valley of the moon. i get there put on my tail fast,sit in the water and now to the point:

i forgot my headpiece.as raina said, have back-up costume pieces
kids were trying to get into my waters and they cant.then some eager kids put their feet into the water before i can stop them;enforce your rules
this also causes food to get in my water pond.
when crowded by children,stay in the shallows
no one wants a drowned mer or hang on a wall
questions will be asked from everyone: know your story and add some fun lines too like nautical jokes and stuff.
set the scene: when i added jewels to the pond, the kids like looking for them but also want to touch and take them like crazy,but they loved it.
there was alot of pushing and shoving tonight.always have a mertender.i didnt have one tonight and it was such a mistake.i couldnt take a break or get water without more people coming and this was for 3 hours.glad i ate before =)
cellphone was going off.make the ringtone aquatic or silence.it was a great sound effect
my stuff was hidden under a cloth in a corner.some tots almost destroyed the fabric.keep personal items away from the crowds or have mertender hold them.
kids love mermaids and i made so many kids happy just talking to them and smiling.touching my tail. one girl wants to be a mermaid and i gave her a jewel and she LIT UP! so cute. have a sign to show how to contact you and adults will swarm for bookings.
touching or handling children is forbidden unless they are drowning. ppl are sue happy and any liability can ruin you.i got a child out of the water today cuz he could get hurt and his parents left him to wander. bad parenting!:no-no:
add more tips in the comments and look at raina's post in 'professional mermaiding'

BlueMermaid
12-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Great tips! think you covered it all very well!

Mermaid Saphira
12-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanx for the info :)

AniaR
12-07-2011, 09:19 PM
similar thread for those interested :D http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?422-Things-I-have-learned-being-a-professional-mermaid

Odette
12-16-2011, 08:51 PM
merci, everyone. and thanks for adding the link raina =)

Mermaid Shelly
12-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Wow, reading both of these threads was really educational for me. I've never done a kids party or anything like that and can appreciate the logistics that you guys go through to prepare and deliver a great experience for everyone. Thank you ladies!