PDA

View Full Version : Scared to get my fins wet

Ilyena
04-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Hi,

I'm a new mer and I'm scared about wearing a tail to the pool for the first time, as I get looks now just wearing the monofin.

Did anyone go through the same thing? and how do you get passed it?

Ilyena

(sorry if this is the wrong section)

Elle
04-19-2013, 01:31 AM
I don't have a tail as yet, but I've worn my fin out a few times.
you just ignore the looks. They're just jealous.

the first time I wore mine was in a sea lake (sea water getting pumped into a man made lake, very VERY salty) and I had 2 little girls come and have a look at the fin and touch it. They were a bit confused as to why I had a fin but no tail (I have an Oceanika) I just told them I was a mermaid in training :)

Ilyena
04-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Hehe, I'd like to think/do that but I'd just probably go hide behind a rock >_<, silly me being shy.

Aww that's cute, once training is finished you get the tail :D.

Elle
04-19-2013, 01:48 AM
Aww that's cute, once training is finished you get the tail :D.

That was the idea :)

Mizuko
04-19-2013, 01:56 AM
Where abouts are you in Adelaide, Ilyena? :) If you're ever nervous, its always easier to swim with other mermaids! :D Theres another mermaid meet-and-greet on May the 11th at North Adelaide Aquatic centre, otherwise you can always get in contact with me, Mermaid Miel or Mermaid Araylia as we are always swimming :)

As for swiming by yourself, sometimes all you gota do is just GO for it! haha! I started mermaiding alone, before I even knew there were other mermaids in Adelaide. It was a little nerve-wracking, but because I was so determind to do it I didnt mind the stares. Now the lifeguards at the pool know me as 'the mermaid girl' :P You just gota find the courage and go for it! Because you will love every second you're in the water, and the stares wont even matter. :)

Ilyena
04-19-2013, 02:04 AM
Up north, Munno Para way. Saturdays are busy for me but I'll try >_<. It would be nice to swim with others to take the nerves away.

I'm sure after the first time it will be fine but initially....yea. Though im a bit weary about people's perspective about a 'typical' mer as my tail is black and red...far from the colourful creatures most think of.

Dive in head first, literally XD. Thank you though ^_^

Mizuko
04-19-2013, 02:08 AM
haha, I know that feeling! Saturdays are usually my less-free day, but I always make room for the mermaid meets! Normally I swim on Sunday mornings at the Aquatic centre if ever you want to join me :) Often I'm just in my monofin, though, as I do freediving training most of the time. haha!

You'll be fine, I know that when you finally do it you'll feel so wonderful and wonder why you were ever worried! :D <3

Ilyena
04-19-2013, 02:17 AM
I'll see how it goes and if I end up moving or not :).

I hope to reach that feeling one day soon ^_^ <3

Mermaid Octavia
04-19-2013, 08:26 AM
I know the feeling about not being a "typical" mer! My tail is black and purple and is shark-themed. So you're definitely not alone there!

Ilyena
04-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Yay. Sounds gorgeous ^_^