PDA

View Full Version : Tail Care at Ren Faire?

Thalassa
04-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Summer is an exciting time! This will be my first Ren Faire as a mermaid, my first faire camping, and my first time in my Merbellas tail. Now, I've read over the Tail Care and Maintenance thread lots, but I was wondering how to best adjust this for camping at Faire? I have relatively limited space (although still decent) in my pavilion, it tends to get very dusty there and I have limited access to fresh water for rinsing out my tail after gigs.

I don't want to lay my tail down somewhere and have it get dirty...should I build a drying rack to keep it on?

I'm also a bit worried about the fact that I'll be in the pool for 10ish hours (there are short breaks in there) and whether the silicone will be okay in the water for that amount of time.

Any other tips you have would be useful...I don't want faire to end up badly for my new tail.

Mermaid Isabela
04-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Will it be a chlorine pool, a salt water pool, or just normal water pool? Either way, maybe you can take one of those 5-20 gallon jugs with fresh water? And maybe rinse it out a few times whenever you get the chance...In between performances and stuff. You could also take a few towels and an old blanket to lay it down in your tent when not in use, and cover it with a couple of towels so stuff doesn't get on it. I know Raina said in one of her videos that she lays a towel inside of her tail to take in the moisture, and that she uses an antibacterial spray made specifically for silicone that you could look into getting as well. :) On the other hand you could always ask Raven too! I think she camps at the Faire's so I'm sure she should have some helpful tips! So excited for you girl!! Everything's gonna turn out great!

Thalassa
04-20-2013, 03:41 PM
It's a regular water pool, but I know when I've left silicone in water before it gets gummy, so I'm a little worried about it. I'll see about asking Raven, though. Thanks!

Mermaid Lorelei
04-20-2013, 04:06 PM
What kind of silicone have you had past experience with Thalassa? Dragonskin silicone is meant to take a serious beating. Getting it dirty, dusty, or being in chlorine shouldn't do much of anything to it. As long as you rinse it decently when you're done, it should be just fine.

Mermaid Azira
04-20-2013, 06:59 PM
What faire are you going to? When will you be there? I will try to come, although probably not as a mermaid.

Thalassa
04-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Azira: The Utah Renaissance Festival and Fantasy Faire.

Lorelei: I have experience with surgical-grade silicone, but not terribly much...that's why I was asking. ;-) It's really good to know that it can take a beating and still be okay.

Mermaid Azira
04-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks! Will you be there everyday?

Thalassa
04-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Just PMed you my schedule. ;-)

Mermaid Kalliope
05-30-2013, 07:46 AM
I was wondering that, too. I don't know if the dirt will stick to the silicone. I do want to take my tail to fair for a day next year. I'd love to perform there. But it *IS* the original Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Irwindale, CA and is probably really difficult to get anything. Boo

Mermaid Isabela
05-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Dirt doesn't stick to silicone! :) <3 I was tossed all over the beach, and when I came home I tossed my tail in the grass and dirt, hosed it down with fresh water, and it was good as new! Let me know if you get into the Pleasure Faire though!!! I'd love to go see you! ( I heard they were kinda harsh with *period accuracy* so GOOD LUCK! <3 <3 <3 )

Mermaid Kalliope
05-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Well, that's good to know! Irwindale faire is SO dusty... haha. I want to figure out a method to go round faire in my tail... haha oh, did you friend me on Facebook, Isabela?

Mermaid Isabela
05-30-2013, 08:26 PM
I don't think I did...? o.O

Mermaid Kalliope
05-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Haha okay because I got a request from an "Isabel" and have no idea who it is. XP (I'm Tressielynn)