PDA

View Full Version : Question for my fellow Atlantic-Canadian/Maritime Mers! (About Lion Paw shells)

Talise
04-20-2013, 11:04 PM
How much do the large lion paw shells go for apiece at Michaels? Their web search is terrible, and I'm one of the anal people who will budget their money before they go to shop anywhere... otherwise I end up spending too much. ESPECIALLY in a place like Michaels. (walked in for supplies to make a cosplay bracelet and hair tie; left with over $80 in stuff)

I keep seeing everyone's lovely bras and accessories and I've been inspired to make my own.

NerineArcticMermaid
04-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Hobbylobby online sells them for 2.99 each. You can also get them at naplesseashells.com

AniaR
04-20-2013, 11:28 PM
they aren't cheap. And they aren't usually in stock as individual. (In Halifax). We've bought the big 35$ bag of shells and we were lucky enough that 1 had 2 Lion paw shells in it, then we bought the cheaper next sized bag and it had 1. From those two we were able to make a top. But yeah, wait for the coupon to come out and take it in for 40% off. That's how I buy all my stuff there. Halifax doesn't have a great selection.

Talise
04-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Oooh, thank you Nerine! :D

And Raina, I know what you mean D: I'm usually shopping around the Dartmouth Crossing/Bayers Lake areas, and I've never been able to find large shells. Thanks, tho! I'll save up my coupons.

SeaGlass Siren
04-21-2013, 07:25 AM
I don't think the one in my area has any :( :Vaughan location: although I found some lions paw shells at the dollarstore for 2 bucks a shell

AnnaAbyss
04-21-2013, 07:52 AM
I'm lucky enough to have abalone around where I live, and I'm thinking about making a shell top out of them. Just not too sure how I would go about that. Have you looked on Ebay for some lion paw shells?

Talise
04-21-2013, 08:11 AM
I don't think the one in my area has any :( :Vaughan location: although I found some lions paw shells at the dollarstore for 2 bucks a shell

I found a small basket with lots of baby lion paws and a small variety of other shells as well as a star fish; it was meant for like... bathroom display or something :P but I was going to incorporate them into hair pieces or other accessories like necklaces and belt. Unfortunately, none of them are even close to being large enough to cover my chest :( How big were the ones you found? Did you find them in Dollarama? I should go check it out... but like Raina said, Halifax Nova Scotia doesn't have a great selection... :(

I'm lucky enough to have abalone around where I live, and I'm thinking about making a shell top out of them. Just not too sure how I would go about that. Have you looked on Ebay for some lion paw shells?

Asdfghjkl I would love to have abalone... I love them, they look so elegant. I'm not even sure if we have any in Nova Scotia...

I have, but the shipping expenses are astronomical for just a couple of shells... more than I was willing to pay :P haha

Aziara
04-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Check etsy.com perhaps? I looked and they had a decent selection. Sometimes they're even sold in matching pairs.

AniaR
04-21-2013, 08:59 PM
keep in mind anything coming from outside of Canada may end up with a customs fee on top

Talise
04-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Check etsy.com perhaps? I looked and they had a decent selection. Sometimes they're even sold in matching pairs.

I have, but I'm not so sold on shipping prices I've seen on etsy, either :/ It irks me to have to pay shipping fees that are worth more than the item. I'll keep an eye out on there, too, though. Thank you!

keep in mind anything coming from outside of Canada may end up with a customs fee on top

Yes :( -sigh- those pesky shipping fees...

AptaMer
04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Hmm. Well, I know you're supposed to be a commercial fisherperson and get a license, and only fish for scallops during the official season in July and August, and all that jazz.

Can I make a confessions, though? While diving offshore from St. Andrew's, NB and Blue Rocks, NS, we found lots of Lion's Paw scallops, and, umm, scooped up a few and cooked 'em up for dinner (hope no fisheries officers are reading this ;) )

The biggest one I found was about 15 cm wide. If I knew then what I know now, I deffo would have kept the shells after the feast!

Anyhow. Those little guys are out there in the water, often in water that's not too deep, if you get the urge to go out in your wetsuit with a mask & snorkel and scout around . . .

Just saying.

SeaGlass Siren
04-22-2013, 02:41 PM
I found a small basket with lots of baby lion paws and a small variety of other shells as well as a star fish; it was meant for like... bathroom display or something :P but I was going to incorporate them into hair pieces or other accessories like necklaces and belt. Unfortunately, none of them are even close to being large enough to cover my chest :( How big were the ones you found? Did you find them in Dollarama? I should go check it out... but like Raina said, Halifax Nova Scotia doesn't have a great selection... :(

Not exactly dollarama. Just a regular no name dollar store inside Vaughan mills mall. But they were big enough to cover c cup

NerineArcticMermaid
04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Check the sites I listed. Naples sea shells has abalone of vwrious size including boobie size

Aziara
04-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Did you mean http://naplesseashellcompany.com/ ? Naplesseashells.com is a dead link....

MerMarla
04-28-2013, 05:12 PM
I just tried the link... worked fine for me! Wow they have lots to choose from, good place to know about!

Moonflower
05-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Michaels stocks them for 1.99-2.99 each. They can be CAF (Cheap as F***) or stupidly expensive. Also, try Etsy. They have TONS of great crafting supplies there, and I have seen lion's paw shells for GOOD prices (not great) every now and then.

AniaR
05-04-2013, 07:34 PM
yeah, they don't carry them individually at our michaels where she and I are located ;)