PDA

View Full Version : What kind of clips are recommended for har accessories?

Talise
04-21-2013, 08:02 AM
I've been debating on which kind of clips to get for the hair accessories I'd like to make, and figured I'd ask what everyone else prefers to use and recommends using.

I thought that barrettes would be the best choice, just because they have a flat enough surface to allow for shells and starfish to be glued to them,

But I was wondering if snap clips worked to?

Winged Mermaid
04-21-2013, 08:43 AM
I've seen both used. I personally like the first one for a few reasons. One is that it has way more surface to work off of, and if it doesn't have enough room for your tastes you can make a base to glue to it to glue other stuff to. That way you have more working room. Plus it's way more likely to stay in your hair. Especially with this awesome trick Raven posted. My hair is super fine but with this those clips stay put!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOruTJHibo

Talise
04-21-2013, 11:04 AM
I saw this! My hair is very fine, too; I am well versed in the art of extensions... haha

I think I've seen this video before, but thanks for posting it again :D

Thalassa
04-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Also remember that the second set of clips need to flex to open and close. This may cause some problems with shells and things staying on if they're just glued.

Both versions have no trouble in my hair. As a matter of fact, they might just stay TOO well! ;-)

Talise
04-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Also remember that the second set of clips need to flex to open and close. This may cause some problems with shells and things staying on if they're just glued.

Both versions have no trouble in my hair. As a matter of fact, they might just stay TOO well! ;-)

I was worried about that... I was thinking of only putting a small shell on the rounded end and leaving the rest bare so that it's able to flex easily, but the first one seemed easier and made more sense.

All you mers with your thick hair D: lucky ducks

Mermaid Tula
04-21-2013, 01:06 PM
I use both of those in my clips. I prefer the barrettes though. I've also seen some cute hair accessories attached with bobby pins.

@Talise. I get you with the thin hair issue! I love my hair clips, but I normally have to ponytail my hair before I can wear them or they just try to slide out

Talise
04-21-2013, 03:22 PM
I use both of those in my clips. I prefer the barrettes though. I've also seen some cute hair accessories attached with bobby pins.

@Talise. I get you with the thin hair issue! I love my hair clips, but I normally have to ponytail my hair before I can wear them or they just try to slide out

Bobbypins would definitely be for dry events, methinks :P haha they'd probably fall right out in the water if I swam with them.

I'll probably end up ponytailing my hair. If I don't wear hair clips a lot while mermaiding, I'll just end up Daenerys Targaryen-ing my hair into some cool braidy hairstyle.

Like this!

Ciesl2ja
06-25-2013, 08:08 PM
So what kind of base do you use on your clips? I have heard of foam or felt but I am not really sure which route to go.

Mermaid Tula
06-25-2013, 08:27 PM
I personally don't use a base. I normally just hot glue the shell directly onto the clip.