PDA

View Full Version : I decided a thing!

Theta
04-21-2013, 08:24 AM
So I've decided a thing. You know how the tops of your feet can be bruised by your monofin? That is now called fin foot. As in, "Damn, I was in the water a lot this weekend, and I've got a bad case of fin foot."

Ow!

I feel like tails are point shoes or figure skates. You get a general thing and then have to mold it to your body yourself, change the straps, file down areas that rub if you can, etc. And when the tail comes off, people look at your feet and go "ouch!" Anyone else have these sorts of issues?

Tasha Mermaid
04-21-2013, 08:32 AM
YES!!! i had to make a whole new strap for the merfin because the rubber was all ouch, but my hydra is perfect :D......LOVING the "fin foot" idea, soooo stealing that ;)

MerEmma
04-21-2013, 08:36 AM
My Oceanika was doing it a lot to the sides of my feet at first, but I got some spandex socks so it's a lot better now. :b My Churchill fins, oh gosh, the were so tight and itchy! They gave me "fin foot" constantly. >_< I like the name though!

Winged Mermaid
04-21-2013, 08:50 AM
This is great XD

Arella
04-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Try dive socks :)

AniaR
04-21-2013, 11:41 AM
haha so true! I had back to back gigs yesterday and have major finfoot. Though, I find putting hockey tape on my feet beforehand really helps. Hockey... it does everything in Canada bahahahaha

AptaMer
04-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Ha ha. Hockey tape. I called it electrician's tape until my family moved to Canada and I discovered its real use was to go on the ends of hockey sticks.

It really can help your feet in fins. Might as well link to this video that shows Sara Campbell's technique for taping, using electrician's vinyl tape, in case it comes in handy

http://youtu.be/rD5Mg0eiJdE

http://youtu.be/rD5Mg0eiJdE

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
04-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I was going to ask if dive booties work with monofins in tails, since they make swimming with regular flippers much more comfortable.

Theta
04-23-2013, 09:31 AM
I think I will start taping. Dive booties make me nervous because my feet are wide and they're squeezed into the monofin enough as it is.

Has anyone taped padding to the tops of their feet when taping? I'm thinking lamb's wool, cause that's just where my brain goes with this sort of thing, but obviously it's not waterproof. We used to have silicone pad things (bunga pads? I think) to put in skates, has anyone tried anything like that?

MerEmma
04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
I don't know about taping, but for my Oceanika I use spandex socks that work VERY well. They aren't very thick. I'd be afraid of using neoprene too if the pocket were tight. :P