PDA

View Full Version : Latex vs. silicone, and how much do I need?

Aziara
04-22-2013, 12:54 PM
I've been all over the forums, trying to find an answer, but I can't seem to find it. It is mentioned that latex has been fazed out in favor of silicone. Why? Why has latex fallen out of favor? On my budget, there's no way I can afford silicone... But I might be able to afford buying some mask latex from monster makers. I did see something about paint wearing off, but I have heard that latex can be intrisically colored with acrylic paints, so I'll likely tint it before putting it into a mold.

And how much would I need for a full latex tail? A gallon? Two? I really have no point of reference.

Mermaid Octavia
04-22-2013, 01:14 PM
The one thing I do know about latex is that a lot of people are allergic to it and some don't know. I would assume that would play a major factor in why it might be "phasing out" - people could simply brush your tail with an arm or a leg and get a bad reaction from it. :(

Aziara
04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Hmm, I do see your point... Do you think this could be a problem in public pools? I really would like a realistic tail, but if I can't/shouldn't use latex, I'll have to resign myself to a fabric tail. *sigh*

Mermaid Octavia
04-22-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure if there would be a difference in public pool vs. anywhere else as an allergy is an allergy. :( (Meaning I don't think any amount of water would dilute the effects latex has on allergic people's skin). However, I would assume you'd be alright if people who were aware of their latex allergy didn't touch you? Public pools might have their own rules against latex but I wouldn't really know for certain...

I know it sucks but there is always the possibility of silicone on top of neoprene? That way you get the allergy free and realistic effects of silicone at a lesser cost (since the whole tail isn't made of silicone). I'm considering that combination myself since it's not a huge investment! I know a couple tailmakers do make this combination (I think the Mertailor does and I know Merbella Studios does!).

I recently discovered I'm allergic to latex, which eliminates the possibility of having that kind of tail for me even though it's less expensive. Latex in Band-Aids give me angry rashes for weeks and that's just a small spot on an arm or a leg. I'd hate to think about what might happen if I had all that latex wrapped around my legs!

ShyMer
04-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Latex doesn't stretch easily, so it is difficult to fit properly. In general it's kind of a pain. I think that it might be good to try in the beginning to practice various techniques if you are planning on doing silicone in the future.

Read Star's latex tail making thread several times through and take notes. Read Dr Seaweed's thread also. You should find that most questions that come up are answered there.
One thing though, I'm doing extra fins and such along with a heavy fluke but so far I've only used about three gallons, and that's not being as efficient as I could have been.

Don't put down the fabric tails though. I haven't used it much but I still love my spandex tail <3 you can make some really nice ones if you are creative.

Aziara
04-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Wow, Dr. Seaweed's tutorial is extremely informative. I will definitely be referring to it extensively.
And even silicone on neoprene would cost too much right now. I don't have a very big budget. As it is, I'd likely be doing very thin latex over neoprene... And even that is going to strain my wallet.
I have seen a few decent fabric tails. I wonder if that is realistic enough to do events in though?

MerEmma
04-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Some fabric tails are pretty realistic--sequin ones are pretty good. Painted neoprene, too. Or painted spandex.

~Glimmer- Betta~
04-23-2013, 01:37 PM
I just joined here, but I've been researching the difference, like you have been, Aziara. From what I've found, Latex not only can cause rashes like mentioned above, but if you swim in Chlorinated pools too much, the acid breaks down the chemical foundation of the tail. You have to bathe them in basic baths, and even then, they don't last over two or three years before breaking apart (that's what dry latex does). Silicone is more popular because they can last forever.
I agree with MerEmma, however. While a silicone tail would be amazing to have, I have seen exceptional fabric tails. I plan on making a fabric tail personally, because I don't like how silicone fins fall underwater. I'm styling my tail after a Betta fish and I want something more fluid and natural looking.
My point is each of them have their Pros and Cons :)
Sorry for the long post again, lol. Just getting the hang of things around here.

~~ Kassandra

P.S. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. This is just what I've gathered from others over the internet.

Aziara
04-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Hmm, yes, I do recall reading that latex has a much shorter lifespan. I think I'll start looking into the sequins on fabric route. Those seem the most realistic of the fabric tails, because of the texture I guess. As someone who lives with serious food allergies, I certainly don't wish a reaction on anyone. The worst would be someone getting into a pool I just left, and having no idea why their skin broke out. Just the worst... Leaves you spending the next several hours wondering "what did I eat, what did I touch?"

Aziara
04-23-2013, 03:32 PM
!!! Would this work?! http://spandexhouse.com/search-result.php?pline=&searchKye=Mermaid

MerEmma
04-23-2013, 03:54 PM
YOU COULD BUY THOSE, (oops how'd caps get on??) for sure. The scale patterns look great and I know they're swim safe. :)

Aziara
05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
After much going back and forth (decisions decisions, argh) I really want to go with silicone. I just need to start putting some money aside. I've always been a 'go big or go home' kinda person, and no offense to those with fabric tails, but I just don't think they will be good for me. Considering that a silicone tail will likely last forever, in the long run, I might end up spending less money. I am wondering if a one gallon order of dragonskin fx pro will be enough for just the tail base/legs (I do understand that it is really 2 gallons, a gallon of part A and one of part B). I'm thinking of making my own monofin, in such a way that it is unnecessary to cover it completely with silicone. I may paint on just a little for texturing, but that's it. Also, has anyone used the silicone thickener that smooth-on sells? It says it will make brush-on application easier, but I'm worried about flexibility and how durable the finished product will be. To save time and money, I was thinking of building the tail directly onto a body casting, so I would have to brush it on instead of pouring it into a flat mold. So... 1. Is a one gallon order going to a thick enough coating? 2. Anyone have experience with the silicone thickener?

Mermaid Allie
05-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Good choice to go with silicone, you'll have your tail forever. Also, holographic fabric + chlorine = disaster! That's what happened to my first tail after 2 swims!!