PDA

View Full Version : I have some questions for Pro Mermaids out there?

XMermaidMarinaX
04-27-2013, 05:02 PM
I have a tail, but its only a magictail.de tail..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAuGgcEnXs4
But I closed up the end more, and Im going to be working on a new top and dyeing my hair blue. So I was kinda curious if I ever wanted to work a few kid parties here and there, would it be to much of a beginner tail to do gigs like that?.. I really want a new tail preferably MerBellas, and this is one of the ways I can think of earning money. I'd charge less that those with the really nice fancy tails. I mean I've had kids swim up to me asking if I was real, I've had one picture in the newspaper, and I've had two women ask if I was hired to swim there for the day for the event that was going on that day. So.. Should I find out other ways to raise money for my dream tail, or would that be fine? If so, how much would I charge? Any tips? Really value your guys' opinions~
Have a swishy day~

AniaR
04-27-2013, 05:37 PM
I started out with a mertailor tail that had been remade so it fit me and repainted etc, but because of the materials at the time fell apart. I spent every gig afterwards fixing it each time. I used the heck out of it until I could afford my mebellas tail.

I think in the community we have such high expectations that we can't be a success without a super realistic tail. I got on two covers of papers, the tv, and the radio because of my crappy falling apart tail. I worked loads of gigs. In my book Fishy Business, I talk a lot about stepping stone tails and how you can start with one and gradually move up.

So yeah, I think it's fine to book gigs with your fabric tail. The public has like, next to zero expectation for this because it's still sucha small and niche market. Work some gigs and save up for your realistic tail :)

XMermaidMarinaX
04-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks alot ^_^ I think I'll try that over the summer and try to get a job at Publix. That way in case my blue hair prevents them from hiring me I have something else to earn money. Any ideas on what I should charge? I'd really appreciate tips~ Your videos are really cool.

AniaR
04-27-2013, 08:15 PM
it's hard for me to answer how much to charge because it's dependant on so many things- I dedicated a whole part of my book on it ;) But there's several threads on here with a lot of helpful tips