PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Merhair Cap

Echidna
04-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Hello Mers and Tailmakers,

I really hope you can help me, or give me pointers.
I'd like to make a swimming cap resembling this (see pictures).

It seems to be a tight-fitting silicone swimming cap with moulded bead threads on the head resembling hair strands, ammonite-looking shells (probably moulded from silicone or rubber) covering the ears,
and a few down-hanging, tentacle-like "merfolk"-hairstrands.
The whole thing has then been painted over.

I'd like to get me something like that. I've looked through all the usual accessories stores and found nothing even remotely resembling this.
Maybe someone snazzy with tailmaking would like to start this as a new fashion for mers?
It certainly looks a billion times better than a "normal" swimming cap.

If absolutely no one is interested in making this, I'd be very grateful for tips how I could maybe try this myself (have no experience working with silicone or neoprene though).

Any answers appreciated.

MerAnthony
04-30-2013, 09:04 AM
I have no clue but this would be interesting to see.

Mermaid Momo
04-30-2013, 10:11 AM
You'd probably need to make a cast of your head wearing a bald cap or a swimming cap and sculpt on top on that then use thin silicone to cover the sculpt with.

Ariel-Starfish
04-30-2013, 12:59 PM
THIS IS KINDA COOL! <3 Oh sorry for the caption *_^

Echidna
04-30-2013, 04:13 PM
You'd probably need to make a cast of your head wearing a bald cap or a swimming cap and sculpt on top on that then use thin silicone to cover the sculpt with.

yea, that's what I figured. I just have no idea how to work with silicone or anything :P
I still hope some of the tailmakers see this and like it enough to think it over ;)

For all those mers and performers who like to give themselves a realistic underwater appearance, this would be much better than normal human hair imo.
It just screams "deep sea and otherworldly".
Seeing long flowing human hair, however beautiful, on a mermaid seems to me a tad unnatural
(since hair causes drag, hence aquatic creatures have short sleek hair or none at all).

Mahi Mermaid
04-30-2013, 04:54 PM
this is awesome!

Aziara
04-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Those are gorgeous, where did you find the pictures?

Mahi Mermaid
04-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Can these be purchased??

Echidna
04-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Can these be purchased??

not yet, that's what I'm working on heh :P
I'm pretty sure if done well, there would a lot of demand for "swim caps" like these.
Especially when they could be custom painted to match the tail.

I also just realized a silicone swim cap would be a great base to build on with latex, which might be easier to work with.
I'll do some research.

@Aziara: The pictures are from the upcoming underwater/mermaid-movie "Empires of the Deep".

WildLifeNeko
04-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Maybe asked merbella to make them? Or any professional tail maker?

Echidna
04-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Was thinking about asking Merbella, since her work is so incredible <3
But I know she's super busy, so I wouldn't want to be obnoxious or something.

Especially since I hope to be able to order a tail from her one day ;)

WildLifeNeko
04-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Maybe you should suggest it to her and she'll make plenty of them for sale in the future! ;) It seems like she's trying to come up with new items to make for her store right now.

I like the mer cap idea since I don't like to have my ear under water lol.

SeaGlass Siren
04-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Ohohoh!!! If they make Headcaps can I have one that looks like an octopus or jellyfish???

Echidna
04-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Why not?
If the idea catches on, the possibilities are endless- something like these, for a scarier approach maybe

Gem Stone
05-16-2013, 05:21 PM
wow I want one now! that would be so cool! the top one, not so much snakes. I don't much like snakes

Echidna
05-16-2013, 05:31 PM
yes, the top ones are the idea, since they could be worn instead of a regular swimming cap ;)

there is a lot of room for customization though, imagine colours matching your tail, etc.

Mermaid Dottie
05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Hey, Cal, where did you find this picture?
oh nvm I found it!

Echidna
05-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Just to add;
I searched in the chinese web too for costumes and accessories and all sorts of stuff regarding the movie where it's from
(人鱼帝国 is the original title),
but there is nothing to find whatsoever, only forum posts ("when is it coming out?"), trailers, and production drama info :(

Mermaid Dottie
05-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Apparently, Empires of the Deep just disappeared. Looks like it was a waste of money. Too many directors, vague, wandering script (according to some) and below par Computer Graphics. Shame, too, since those costumes are gorgeous.

http://www.epiaogo.com/data/20121026155846_7418.jpg
http://api.ning.com/files/hrj53fOPWvULyU9sTGTMljfxvekMXAy3PuQ4ktEUcMnqrZr4LR Uy3YKjVubgjzfDVJCgrb1W*AIbkyGyJK*KmPCHrebNE5WW/CIMG0327.JPG?width=486&height=600

Kiule Moana
05-16-2013, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't be scared about asking Merbella at all. If she doesn't have the time to try making a cap the least she could do is give you some tips on where to buy the best silicone (I personally like Dragon Skin platinum High Performance Silicone) and how to work with it. After that I imagine you could get a manikin head with a head size slightly smaller than yours and begin molding the silicone on top. When it's dry put the cap on yourself and it should have a snug fit.

Whatever you choose to do i'm sure the finished product will look rad! Good luck!

Mermaid Dottie
05-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Y'know, I actually think I could do this....

Echidna
05-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Y'know, I actually think I could do this....

Really?
Oh, please do!

I've PM'd several tailmakers awhile ago already, suggesting they take a look at it.
Apparently, no one was interested in making and selling this, so it's still up for grabs :)

Mermaid Dottie
05-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Well I found this--->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pat8SS06-0M
and I think, in combination with the sculpting method used to make flukes, but on a much smaller scale, you could easily make a mold for the ridges/braids, and then simply attach them to the top.
And I think this method would work for both latex and silicone.

Gem Stone
05-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Id love to see someone try it!

Aziara
05-17-2013, 09:21 PM
A super easy way of doing this would be with a swim cap. I have seen these long wriggly, stretchy exercise cords at Academy (for resistance training), though I am unsure if they are latex or silicone. Put them on a swim cap, cover with tinted latex or silicone, and voila, rubber mermaid dreadlocks! :D

Echidna
05-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Yea, using a silicone swim cap as base was my first idea as well, since it's made for swimming,
and most are quite cheap too.

The rest however is beyond me.
I don't even own a sewing machine :p

Mermaid Kenzie
06-06-2013, 12:00 AM
People have different sized heads though... I'm wondering if there's a way to make them customizable, but still have them fit snugly in ratio to ones crown, forehead, and eyes:confused: I hope so, because I really want one now lol.

Mermaid Dottie
06-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Swim caps generally fit all heads, because they're SO stretchy. I've never seen a swim cap NOT fit.
I like The idea of covering things with tinted silicone, so that you don't have to use so much, but I would want to go thru the sculpting process to get the right textures.
I'm thinking of maybe trying to do something like this (http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/041/0/b/lol___koi_nami_wallpaper__xrazerxd_by_xrazerxd-d5uihci.jpg), or this (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RxgiowinsYY/UMtwNDguyjI/AAAAAAAAAeg/aZVB62cM1S4/s1600/Nami_Splash_0.jpg).
The Character is called Nami, and she's from an online game called League of Legends.

Echidna
06-06-2013, 05:43 AM
Do you mean the kelp-like hair, or the headdress/crown as well?

Never knew there was a Naga-esque/mermaid-like character in LoL!
She looks great.
I might have to play it now :D

Mermaid Dottie
06-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Haha! my username on there is mermaiddottie, so if you do start playing, put me down as a referral, and look me up so we can play together. ^_^
Mostly I just mean her hair, although those headpieces(on a smaller scale) would make good transition pieces.

Mermaid Kenzie
06-07-2013, 03:07 AM
Do it Dottie! I'd love to see someone try this! I would, but while making my tail I don't really have the funds right now :/ Maybe someday...

Echidna
08-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Ok, so I made one :p

It looks more swimmingcap-like than wig-like, because I can't work with silicone and latex.
It's completely water-resistant, very flexible, and can be worn as swimming cap, or over another swimming cap.

Might make another with longer hair skeins.

Mermaid Dottie
08-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Hey, Cool!

Marie-Josie Cayer
08-14-2013, 05:02 PM
This is an original swimming cap you have there! Keep up with the good work and be creative. Have fun experimenting new things! MJC :)

Kumori Kitsune
08-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Sucks I'm allergic to latex

swimmingsammi95
04-02-2014, 12:40 PM
come summer I hope to be doing more in the tailmaking and suck industry and I could try the idea out. I currently don't have time but when I do I hope I remember this!

XMermaidMarinaX
04-02-2014, 09:54 PM
I'd totally get something like this, or want to figure out how to make it.. Never worked with silicone a day in my life though, but if someone makes it, then awesome.

Kishiko
04-03-2014, 11:35 AM
What about using GE Silicone caulk for the braid things? You could squeeze out a couple strands of silicone, maybe into a halved PVC pie so the bottom part is round, then when they cure smear a little extra on each strand and actually braid them together. Then use like a swim cap to then use more silicone and adhere them

Aziara
04-03-2014, 11:48 AM
What about using GE Silicone caulk for the braid things? You could squeeze out a couple strands of silicone, maybe into a halved PVC pie so the bottom part is round, then when they cure smear a little extra on each strand and actually braid them together. Then use like a swim cap to then use more silicone and adhere them
So it would look like cornrow-ed tentacles! Cool idea.

Seatan
07-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Wow, just found this thread... That is really cool. I might try this. *adds to crafty list* It would be fairly easy to sculpt a corn row "tentacle," duplicate the mold several times, and then attach them to a swim cap, and coat it all with a thin coat of pigmented silicone. You could even do it as a flat-backed sculpt, so pouring the mold would be easy breezy.

Edit: OMG my Man O War obsession is showing again... I'm thinking Man O War swim cap, with the body as a "mohawk" and tentacle as "hair" all around it. *moves up to the TOP of the crafty list*

Seatan
07-21-2014, 02:38 PM
I've drawn up my ideas--which should I do? Man O War Mohawk or Man O War tiara? Excuse my crappy concept art!

Mermaid Wesley
07-21-2014, 08:02 PM
I like the tiara look! But I am certainly a girlie mer uwu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk