PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in...

Mermaid Elena
05-01-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm thinking about selling partial silicone mermaid tails. They would be hand painted neoprene tails with silicone scales over. They would be very reasonably priced; likely under $400. I'm mainly interested in selling because I know how hard it is to find a realistic tail for a good price and I love making tails so I know it would be very rewarding for me :)

I just want to know if anyone would be interested in this before I begin. I'm working on my own tail right now so videos and pictures of that will be up when I'm done so everyone can see what the finished product would look like.

Mermaid Harmony
05-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I think this sounds like a great idea. I say go for it, and try it out see how it goes

Mermaid Varshana
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM

This would be a lifesaver for me. Realism with customizable flukes is very, very important to me.

MerAnthony
05-01-2013, 03:21 PM
If I can come up with the money I would be interested.

MerGrrl
05-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Great idea!!

Mermaid Octavia
05-01-2013, 03:58 PM
I'd be interested, especially if you could do customized dorsal/pectoral fins and flukes! :D

Aziara
05-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Wow. This would be awesome. Please put up some pictures when you finish your tail! So it would be clear silicone over painted neoprene? Also what kind of silicone would you be using?

Mermaid Elena
05-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Yes, it will be clear silicone over the neoprene. I haven't decided which silicone but right now I'll probably go with GE Silicone II because I think it's the most durable with prolonged exposure to water. I'm still in the early stages of my tail so I haven't gotten to the silicone part yet. I believe I will be able to make dorsal and pectoral fins but it might bring up the price just a little (like $20).

Merman Arion
05-01-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm a merman living in France and i'm super interested! :D

That would be awesome to have a partial silicone tail as my first tail ever. You would be a life saver! :hug:

hugs & kisses

Mahi Mermaid
05-01-2013, 06:54 PM
go for it!

Mermaid Dottie
05-01-2013, 07:15 PM
siliconeII isn't straight silicone, and it isn't skin safe, and is very hazardous to your airways when used over long periods of time. You could use siliconeI which is %100 silicone, but the downside is that it yellows over time.

Mermaid Elena
05-01-2013, 08:07 PM
According to this site http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicone-II-kitchen-and-bath.php it is 100% silicone. I'm aware that it is not safe for skin but it will be over neoprene so it really won't touch your skin all that much. Also, it is bad for your airways but I believe that is only when is is curing because it releases ammonia. After it's completely cured, no chemicals or toxins are released. I could be wrong though. I will look into other types of silicone as well. If anyone else knows anything about GE Silicone II, please let me know!

Mermaid Varshana
05-01-2013, 09:12 PM
To be honest, I would be super hesitant to buy something that isn't 100% nontoxic no matter where it is on the tail. Most people would probably feel the same. Keep that in mind when making a decision about what materials to use.

Goldie
05-01-2013, 09:59 PM
I love the ‘shut up and take my money’ pic down there. :) I feel just the same way.

Mermaid Elena
05-01-2013, 10:18 PM
I will probably use the GE Silicone II for my tail unless I find out it has some extreme negative effect. I posted another thread on the silicone to get more information about it. If it makes me break out or something I definitely won't use it on other peoples tails. When it comes down to it, I won't do anything that someone is not comfortable with on a tail. If I'm making you a tail and you want Dragonskin silicone then I will be sure to use dragon skin.

Mermaid Elena
05-09-2013, 07:14 PM
So I made a website that has information about the tails I will be making. I have all of the materials for mine but I have to wait another week to begin production on it because I'm moving. Soooo... I'm assuming no one will be interested in a tail until they have seen what mine looks like and stuff but if you are interested in a tail for the near future my site is www.elenamermaidtails.webs.com (http://www.elenamermaidtails.webs.com)

The site is really plain right now and I only have this one picture because all of my other mermaid pictures are on my other computer which is packed away right now and not accessible.

Karmie
05-09-2013, 07:26 PM
I am very interested. Would like to see your work, but it sounds good so far!

Mermaid Elena
05-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Cool, there will plenty of pictures and videos up of my new tail when I finish it. It shouldn't take me too long once I get started but for now I only have pictures and videos of my spandex tail.

Mermaid Allie
05-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I am interested, but only if you use dragonskin silicone, because if I invest in a silicone tail, its got to last forever lol!

Mermaid Pickles
05-09-2013, 07:39 PM
This is really cool! If I ever save up enough money, I may want one! (I'd have to come up with a design, though! -cough- ANOTHER design.)

Mermaid Elena
05-09-2013, 08:46 PM
I am interested, but only if you use dragonskin silicone, because if I invest in a silicone tail, its got to last forever lol!

I can totally use dragon skin silicone on your tail if you want, the materials I would use are totally up to you. I wouldn't make you something you don't want.

Sonnet
05-10-2013, 11:17 PM
I am interested as well!

Mermaid Pickles
05-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Oooh, hrm.....I'm seriously thinking about this now.

MermaidBrandie
05-16-2013, 10:14 AM
I would definatly be interested. I'd want dragonskin tho, I have sensitive skin. :) I can't wait to see your pics.

Mermaid Pickles
05-16-2013, 02:03 PM
if I had the money right now, I'd volunteer to be a tail-making testing guinea pig. >,O However, money's a problem for now. =.=

XMermaidMarinaX
06-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Dragon skin partial silicone tail, customizable AND not going to break the bank?! I APPROVE! YOU BEAUTIFUL BEING YOU PLEASSEEE UPLOAD PICTURES!

Nashoba
06-05-2013, 02:24 AM
YES YES YES!

If you need help marketing them in places that'll reach more people, it's one of the things I do professionally. I've worked with lots of companies (and was even asked to pitch campaign ideas to Urban Decay makeup), but I prefer to work with small businesses I personally adore for trade. Barter system and promoting cool businesses ftw.

Actually this community, in general, is cool enough that I'd happily work with Raven or other tail makers on here, as well. I'm just completely captivated by everyone here and by mermaiding, itself.

Mermaid Elena
06-05-2013, 05:36 PM
That sounds awesome! I might contact you once I get up and running a little more. I still want to finish my prototype before selling a tail to anyone. I really want to provide a good product and I don't want people to think the tails I make are crappy just because of how low the prices are.

Scilla Mermaid
06-07-2013, 09:53 AM
i wish to be your first customer!

Theobromine
06-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm on my phone so I can't look up the GE silicone right now, but maybe check out aquarium silicone. It's acetic cure silicone (so it smells very vinegary while curing) and it's aquarium and fish safe and does not yellow. I don't know how durable it would be on a tail though. I think you can find the same type of silicone at hardware stores in larger tubes than the stuff sold at aquarium stores, just look for the stuff made for glass and read the fine print. I mean, I do think Dragonskin is the best, but it will be harder to keep the cost down.

Mermaid Elena
06-07-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm on my phone so I can't look up the GE silicone right now, but maybe check out aquarium silicone. It's acetic cure silicone (so it smells very vinegary while curing) and it's aquarium and fish safe and does not yellow. I don't know how durable it would be on a tail though. I think you can find the same type of silicone at hardware stores in larger tubes than the stuff sold at aquarium stores, just look for the stuff made for glass and read the fine print. I mean, I do think Dragonskin is the best, but it will be harder to keep the cost down.

Yes, I've gotten mixed messages as far as the GE Silicone II. I'm using it on my tail as a test but if I'm making your tail I will use whatever silicone you want. You just have to be willing to spend a bit more if you want dragon skin but it's probably worth it.

Mermaid Marissa
06-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Go for it! I'd buy one maybe after I finish the two I'm working on now (one for me and one for a friend) I'd love a partial!!!

Mermaid Marissa
06-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Yes, I've gotten mixed messages as far as the GE Silicone II. I'm using it on my tail as a test but if I'm making your tail I will use whatever silicone you want. You just have to be willing to spend a bit more if you want dragon skin but it's probably worth it.

Would they be over neoprene? (You may have said that before but my computer hates me....)

Mermaid Elena
06-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Would they be over neoprene? (You may have said that before but my computer hates me....)

Yes, the tails would be made of neoprene with silicone scales over the fabric.

XMermaidMarinaX
06-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Hey! :D I can't wait to get the money on paypal, so I can finally send it to you and have my tail started on! ^_^ I have my materials for a top .. well the netting and seaweed, now I just need some lion paw shells. Woo! I hope to see updates on your tail sometime.

Mermaid Elena
06-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Hey! :D I can't wait to get the money on paypal, so I can finally send it to you and have my tail started on! ^_^ I have my materials for a top .. well the netting and seaweed, now I just need some lion paw shells. Woo! I hope to see updates on your tail sometime.

I'm super excited to start your tail as well! I've been really busy this weekend and haven't gotten to the scales on my tail yet but hopefully I can finish it early next week.

Marlin
06-09-2013, 02:23 AM
I'm excited to see how they turn out. Please be sure to post pictures as soon as possible.

XMermaidMarinaX
06-09-2013, 02:24 AM
I'm super excited to start your tail as well! I've been really busy this weekend and haven't gotten to the scales on my tail yet but hopefully I can finish it early next week.
Well hopefully it turns out as nice as you want it to be. Is it bad that its seriously killing me to wait till Tuesday to pay just to get this started? I'm an impatient insomniatic mer.. Hahaha.. :$ Must suck, knowing your tails sitting there waiting to be finished and swam in, and then all these things make you to busy to give your attention to the tail.

Christopher Chandler
06-09-2013, 02:27 AM
Go for it and contact me when you are ready to produce them!

Ciesl2ja
06-13-2013, 02:53 PM
I would be interested! That sounds like a great idea for poor mermaids like myself :D

Nashoba
06-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Silicone over neoprene? Exactly the kind I was interested in. Yay!!!

Mermaid Elena
06-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Silicone over neoprene? Exactly the kind I was interested in. Yay!!!

Are you looking to buy one or make one?

Fathom delMar
06-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Do you have any pictures yet of the one you're currently working on?

Shimerz
06-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Yes! I'll order today! lol, i want a tail to use soooo bad this summer, my problem is all the wait times.

MaskedNightingale
07-14-2013, 11:30 PM
I am completely interested and I have a friend that I just introduced into the world of mermaiding (whose going to be my partner mermaid) who would interested as well.
And if there was any way you could make a shop (etsy, ect) where we could pay by paypal that would be even more awesome.

Mermaid Saphira
07-17-2013, 01:30 PM
This sounds like an offer that is hard to pass up! I'd be interested :)

Nashoba
07-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Are you looking to buy one or make one?

I was looking to buy, most definitely. Assuming there could be a payment plan involved. I'm on a limited but reliable income. lol

Mermaid Nemia
07-20-2013, 01:52 PM
I'd be interested. How has your tail turned out?