PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the caulking?

Ashe
05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Hey all, so I am going to be starting a partial silicone tail!!! But I have one major question first: What is caulk and why does everyone hate it? Whenever it is discovered that a tailmaker uses silicone or latex caulking, it seems to start a lot of drama. But why? I've been trying to look around Facebook and MN for answers but can find anything straight. Would someone mind explaining? I'd like to know because I am a teen on an extremely tight budget for my new tail and using the tubed silicone may be my best if not only option. Thank you!

AniaR
05-01-2013, 04:35 PM
the long and the short of it is:

Caulking isn't INTENDED for what we use it for, it's not intended for long term exposure to skin, water, light etc. It degrades very quickly, and all caulkings carry warnings. The stuff is made to line windows and doors. Most of them say right on them- not for use under water. Many caulkings can cause birth defects. When caulking is used in the spfx community- from what I've researched on spfx websites and forums and youtube videos- it's a much higher quality than what we typically use in the mer community, and it's used for very small things like seams etc, not for molding an entire costume. They uncure as well (that's why some tails turn white and peel)

There's various threads on this all over mernetwork with official citations for what I just said if you check, but honestly, just google it and it becomes pretty clear.

edit:

I had alex plus show up on blood work.

If you're considering the silicone caulking I'd suggest being absolutely sure it's cured, and having a barrier between it and your skin. Pick up any bottle of silicone caulking and the MSDS is crazy. Many of them warn of birth defects. My big concern with tail makers is when they don't SAY they use the stuff. In many states it's part of the law that anything that can cause birth defects must be labelled, that's why it's on the silicone tube to begin with. So, yeah it doesn't bug me when people say "we make silicone caulking tails" because at least then customers can decide for themselves. It's when they advertise it as if it were dragonskin which is about as safe as silicone comes, and don't warn customers of potential risks. Had I known my first tail was made of caulking I would have never spent 1000$ on it.

MerEmma
05-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I'd just recommend keep saving for the dragonskin! It'll last you way longer. All that Raina said is very true, but what a gallon of Dragonskin is something like $100-ish? That's not too bad, and I can't see needing any more than that for a partial tail.

Mermaid Marissa
05-01-2013, 05:11 PM
I already have a latex tail and I'm trying to make updates (fit a bigger monofin in the tail) and to do that I need to add more neoprene (and latex) what should I use? I for sure didn't know about all of these health risks when I first bought my tail and I need to have SOMETHING for gigs until my new tail comes in late July :( uggggh what to do?! :headdesk:

AniaR
05-01-2013, 06:24 PM
it depends what your tail is made of. You have to make it out of what it was originally made of. There's loads of info in the stickied tail making thread reference.

Mahi Mermaid
05-01-2013, 06:39 PM
It's 183 and you still have to pay for shipping and tax. I'm using dragonskin right now and would recommend to leave it to the professionals!

Ashe
05-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Thank you all for the input :) I do hope to make a dragonskin tail someday, but I don't have the resources at the moment. The silicone I was practicing with did say that it is water and sunproof, but I'd rather be safe than sorry ;)