PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Vs. Competitor

Mermaid Harmony
05-03-2013, 01:02 PM
So I'm going to buy a full silicone tail from Fish Butts because she has some new openings, and although I love my partial, I need something sturdier, because my current tail is getting loads of use (still great condition, but I want to be able to use another tail to give it a break sometimes, and the oceanika is frustraiting). I'm thinking about bronze or a copper color, but my main question is should I get a rapid or a competitor in it? I live next to the ocean, and the oceanika I have now...well, I got stuck in a tide pool once and that wasn't a good idea with that fin. So I want something that will give me more oomph in the ocean, but it seems like the competitor is a little boxy. I also have a rapid and so can send that to her, and I love swimming in my rapid. I've never swam in a competitor before. I don't want to end up in the same situation I'm in with my partial in that I got a tail for the fin and then the fin drove me crazy (for those who don't know I went all siren on my oceanika and fixed it, but it's still a little funky).

Thoughts? Much appreciated!
Harmony

MerEmma
05-03-2013, 01:09 PM
If you feel like the Rapid makes you confident enough for ocean swimming, I'd say to use that. But if you don't feel like it's enough, then go for the competitor! I feel like in general I recommend the competitor even though I've never used it (lol) but if the Rapid is already what you want, I don't see too much of an idea to upgrade.

Arella
05-03-2013, 07:04 PM
I got the competitor because it's safer for swimming in currents (waves, etc.) and because I like the larger, sturdier fluke

AniaR
05-03-2013, 07:49 PM
My competitor is a million times better in the ocean than any other monofin (including rapid) that I've tried. The thing is a BEAST. One kick will send you across a pool. It makes a crappy swimmer like me, speedy and graceful!

Mermaid Allie
05-03-2013, 08:30 PM
I also think that the competitor is a better choice because of the material. The fiberglass is just much more powerful and durable than the rapid.

Echidna
05-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I want a competitor so badly, but it is not sold in Europe! :(

Not sure whether I can risk ordering it from the US (afraid it might break, our postal service is known to smash everything to bits and pieces:p).

Theobromine
05-29-2013, 10:44 AM
But if you live in Europe, you have all sorts of other monofin manufacturers to choose from, some of which make fins very similar to the Competitor!

Echidna
05-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Searched and found some (took awhile, they're rare and rather hidden under all the kid and fun stuff :p)
Not sure whether those are as good as the competitor.

Will definitely try one soon though, since the new oceanika isn't out yet.

Edit.
Found a competitor now too. Woot!
And there's even another new type, made from carbon fibers.
Anyone has one of those?

Theobromine
05-29-2013, 11:45 AM
WaterWay Fins comes to mind: http://www.waterwayfins.com/ If you look under the Freediving category and look at the Model 1 fin, it's very similar to the Competitor and actually a lot cheaper. Several members on this forum have them, if memory serves. Also, if you look in the main monofin manufacturer thread in the Monofins part of the forum (I think it's a sticky) you can find a lot of manufacturers. I believe almost all of them are in Europe.

Mermaid Fenicia
05-29-2013, 01:42 PM
I have a Leaderfin sport in soft (yellow, but it's white) and I really love it :)
http://www.leaderfins.com/product.php?id_product=246

Echidna
06-16-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm thinking about getting me a Rapid as well.
I know it is inferior to the Competitor, but maybe it's a good second/replacement, just-in-case monofin
(and its shape is great for the tail I plan! :D ).

I'll order from amazon (less hassle and insecurity that way), the reviews however say the Rapid is
"only good for children and beginners", and if you've used a fiberglass blade before, it'd just be horrible.

What do you guys think?

(I'd have gotten another competitor-like fin from waterway or leaderfins, but the shipping costs are well over 100$
even though I'm in Europe, so: insert Kakarotte's NOPE NOPE NOPE kraken here :p)

meremily
06-16-2013, 12:10 PM
does somebody actually have the model number 1? what is it like? compare to competitor?

Spindrift
06-16-2013, 07:47 PM
If your only choices are between a Rapid and a Competitor, I would say go for the Competitor. It's a lot heavier though. If you're open to other suggestions, try one of the other European fiberglass fins. I would say they are on equal footing with the Competitor, but at a cheaper price. Shape is slightly different when cut (rounder in my experience) but still a solid choice. :)