PDA

View Full Version : Make your own giant clam

Mer_Adella
05-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Ok I know that there was a thread on giant clam shells to buy for a mermaid prop. But what materials could someone use to build one. Like one that could be near water that wouldn't harm it ?

Mermaid Momo
05-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Mmmmm..how about a wire frame covered in some aquarium foam? Is it too sit on or be in the background by the way?

Mermaid Tula
05-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I know that Walmart (at least here in my town) has a kid sandbox that is in the shape of a giant clam. It's about 3 feet wide. I know it's not a DIY thing, but they are cute

Mer_Adella
05-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Angel--exactly what the mermaid boss found.

Btw it's something that ahould be able to sit on but be ok if got wet

Mermaid Stark
05-07-2013, 12:58 AM
I think Hannah Mermaid had something like that at an event. I think it's this:

It kind of looks like she just got those sand boxes from walmart and decorated them. I'm not 100% sure, though.

Mermaid Stark
05-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Here's a better pic:

Odette
05-07-2013, 01:09 AM
yay!That would be fun to see you in a clam I've been working on this recently.Its a tricky one. big,cheap,and sturdy,water resistant,possibly light weight? I've been trying cement,plaster,fiberglass all on a smaller scale.All of them have their good and bad traits. If anything works out,I will let you know.

Mer_Adella
05-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Thanks Odette :) I can always count on your abilities to not sit still and to be in your workshop lol.

Fiona--that would the be sandbox yes...I like the idea...I just wanted to see if anyone had tried other things to get larger ones...possibly for something along the lines of where the shells are closed and someone pulls a rope...and as the shell opens us mermaids are in one. (each mermaid would have individual shell)

My other thought was maybe make one out of chicken wire and expanding foam?

Mermaid Stark
05-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Ooo! Like the ones in TLM that the sisters come out of?

Odette
05-07-2013, 04:35 PM
chicken wire is awesome, but if your going to use foam, get some gloves and smother it to make it smooth. Its difficult and really messy so you should do it outside.I made a rock like that and it didn't turn out perfect so im just cutting every side of it to make it look like a rock.also, to give it more durability, you can use metal rods on the inside but bending and cutting them is a real pain.

Mer_Adella
05-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Wouldn't know what the shell looked like that those girls came out of honestly...

odette, just a thought of how to do it. I don't have the funds to do it and its more or less an idea I can show to my mermaid liason for the festival. Then that way its in the budget and they can create it lol. But I understand what your saying. We would more or less just sit in it if anything. No standing or nothing. so I guess I don't have to get so gungho about it