PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene Thickness

taom
08-24-2011, 01:34 AM
Hey everyone! So, here's the deal. I am about embark on a tail making project using neoprene (and not spandex like my last one) and I was wondering what thickness of neoprene to buy?

I appreciate it!

Winged Mermaid
08-24-2011, 03:41 AM
1.5-2mm is recommended. Anything thicker than that a standard sewing machine may not be able to handle it.

melbel1023
08-24-2011, 07:42 AM
2 mm is what Stretchhouse Inc sells for about $18 a yard, but its very difficult to sew on a basic sewing machine.

taom
08-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Thank you so much!

Winged Mermaid
08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Well no neoprene is "easy" to sew I'd think :P That's why there are instructions on how to do it without breaking your machine, haha

Ashton
11-29-2013, 09:10 PM
What would be a good needle to buy for sewing neoprene?

carmelasmith
12-15-2013, 01:20 PM
You will have better results using a large needle such as a Universal 16 or 18. The smaller needles will not make a large enough hole to allow the thread to pass through easily. Neoprene is sewn best with longer stitches which depend on the neoprene thickness and your sewing machine. Experiment with stitches until you get the results you want. Your needle will heat up with the friction of sewing through the thicker neoprene so go slow to avoid melting your thread

Ashton
12-15-2013, 03:34 PM
thanks for the help!

deepblue
02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Ashton, what thickness and needle did you end up buying? I was wondering how this is going for you. I plan to start a neoprene tail, hopefully soon, so I'm gathering information.

I wonder what the ideal thickness is- my machine is not standard, it's made to sew through 8 layers of denim, I've sewn through several layers of thick cotton velvet, so I think it can handle pretty thick. But that doesn't mean it will look good.

Ashton
02-22-2014, 06:08 PM
I couldn't get it though my machine so I ended up hand sewing it all, I used a leather hook needle and nylon thread. It took be about 6 hours total to hand sew the tail. It was brutal because of my two layers of 1.5 thickness. I also made it too long in the torso so it came up to my boobs and I had to fold it down like a bad sweatshirt. I am so embarrassed about my neoprene tail that it just sits the corner in my room with its zipper on top.

deepblue
02-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Aw... you could recut and sew for better fit. I plan to make a body double for me from the waist down, and use it to size. You could do that and have another go!

But thanks for the info. :)

Ashton
02-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Yeah I know I can fix it- its just sewing neoprene by hand it anything but fun. That's all.

Ilyena
02-23-2014, 02:15 AM
I'm using 3mm, using glue to put it together then stitching it by hand on the underside. Just if sewing by hand, invest in a small pair of pliers, after a while it hurts your fingers XP

MerAnthony
02-23-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm using 3mm, using glue to put it together then stitching it by hand on the underside. Just if sewing by hand, invest in a small pair of pliers, after a while it hurts your fingers XP
Agreed. My first tail was 3mm an I had to sew it by hand. An trust me it was a pain in the butt. I think I put more holes in my hand than I did in the neoprene. LOL

deepblue
02-23-2014, 03:15 PM
I think I'll be going with 2mm, which my machine should handle fine. And 1mm or thinner if I can find it, for fins.

MerAnthony
02-23-2014, 04:16 PM
I ordered 2 sheets of 2mm from foamorder.com an it was $144.00 with shipping to NY state. They are based in Cali. Plus th sell it by the sheet which is 4 foot wide a about 7 foot long. You may want to call around to be sure if they sell by the sheet first. Some only sell by the bundle.

deepblue
02-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Being in San Diego, I'm also hoping to find sources right here in town. There's a wetsuit repair place around the corner from me (I live at the beach) so I might even ask if they can advise a place to find it. I'd love to be able to see and touch whatever I decide to buy.

Ilyena
02-23-2014, 07:56 PM
MerAnthony: I agree with you there, I was thankful I was using glue at the same time >_<.

But yes call around for price comparison, I bought 3 sheets for $200 inc shipping, from a company here in Aus

Slee
08-07-2014, 10:23 AM
have any of you resourceful mers who hand sew considered using a thin lubricated awl to punch holes, like when leather working, before running the thread, or is that over complicating things?

Mermaid Sam
08-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Hmmm. That might work. As far as neoprene sources go, www.seattlefabrics.com has tons of colors and thicknesses. They have sheets that are about 4feet x 7 feet. They also allow you to put in the dimensions you need (rectangles/squares only. I don't think they'll cut tail patterns). Their prices are pretty good. The sheets are $90 and the rest is done by square foot. I can't remember off the top of my head what the exact price is.

Mermaid Tory
02-25-2015, 03:47 PM
I looked up reviews for streatchhouse and apparently they advertise neoprin as neoprene. I called their company as well and honestly couldn't understand the man due to a thick accent.

Marie Gremillion
05-23-2016, 11:21 PM
Does anyone know if 1mm is thick enough to keep you warm and put sequins on? It for my friend who is very skinny, to the point where she shivers in the pool during spring and fall. Any recommendations? I could buy thicker but I don't know if my sewing machine could handle it.