PDA

View Full Version : My self Silicone Top

Mer_Adella
05-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Hello all,

after moving down south from MI I made sure that I had everything that I needed to make my own silicone top. I had my painted top (one I bought from walmart for 4.00) 11123Basically it looked like this.

I painted it with Jacquard Lumiere paint in my Pink Halo Gold color. 11124

and the result was this (please note that there is no seashell on the actual bra that was just for looks and it isn't the same bra but same paint)11125

Now I used GE Silicone 3hr ready clear caulk. I asked the guy if it was harmful after it cured. he said no considering that it is 100% silicone. 11126
I had the spirit of the mermaid with me today as I need to get this top ready by the 18th. The silicone is waterproof, freezeproof, and won't crack (so it says). I did some test samples on the 4.00 bra (as that is what I bought it for) and if it all works out well, I will be moving onto my actual top (one that I didn't want to mess up because I love it.) so here's a picture of what I did.

you will see that the silicone is a clear/white color. It is supposed to dry clear and therefore showing the paint underneath. I took this picture after I had made all the scales and took my gloves off (because safety is the key). So after the drying time is over and maybe another hour for good measure, I will take another picture and add it to this thread.

As I said, I need this top ready for the 18th because I am meeting up with Nerine, Stevi, and Brandi for a meet up in Alabama and are going swimming. After the 18th I will be posting a review of how the top did, how it felt, and what the other girls thought. See you all later with more pictures.

BTW what does everyone think of the scales? They are small, but hey! its a top not a tail lol. Just wanted all your opinions

MerAnthony
05-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Nice so far . But for me to make a really good judgement I would have to see it when finished.

Mer_Adella
05-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Ok so some bad news first. The scales didn't dry clear because it was so heavy on the silicone for the scales. Unfortunately. but always good to do a test sample first.
Good news, my original top has painted scales onto it. I found a way to almost "paint" the silicone on for a smooth finish. This keeps it clear, but still gives it that "fish" feel. I think I am just going to play it safe and "paint" the silicone on. But trust me I am going to be doing more testing. I have 1.5 tubes of silicone left and 2 more tops.

AniaR
05-07-2013, 09:07 PM
I think it'll still look white because it's so thick. You should mix the paint WITH the silicone, then spread it on, and use something to lay scale impressions maybe

Mer_Adella
05-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Raina, I thought of using a mold somehow, but either way all the scales would be white...but something cool happened. While I was bemoaning my scale attempt, I found that the silicone scales weren't adhered to the fabric. I peeled them off and started to laugh because they were perfect for making scales that could be taped (with skin safe tape) your your breasts :D

I did decided that I dont need the scales as because my top has them painted on. I mostly wanted the "slimy" feel. So I painted the silicone on and this was the result (I apologize if you can't really see how shiny it is )

I am thinking of adding another layer just to make sure its coated, but I am still thinking of ways to add silicone in some areas and not in others just to make a bump for scales.

I could add paint to the silicone but I would have to squeeze it into a ziploc, add the tint, stir, and then use it like an icing bag...and i really didn't want to do that with this top at least

angie
05-30-2013, 06:12 AM
Haha! Yay! I tried the icing bag too! I didn't have the same problem with it being so white, I used DAP clear aquarium sealent. It dried pretty darm clear.