PDA

View Full Version : I have a tail, but I kind of need some help...

XMermaidMarinaX
05-07-2013, 05:55 PM
I can swim okay in it, I have some videos up on my youtube, which I'll add a link to eventually. But I realized after swimming, there was a small tear in my fluke, which is on the bottom side, so I can just say its molting. But when I get out of the water it clings to my legs, the bad side of a fabric tail. Also, the seams show. I know its to be expected for a $200 fabric tail, or magictail for example.. I just need to figure out how to make it look less.. fake.. :/ I wanted to work some kids parties this summer, simple things, making mermaid jewelry, swimming, pictures, etc.. I wanted to end up getting a Merbellas tail, so I figured that this could be an easy way. $30 first hour, $20 every hour after that, $15 half hour. :/ I feel compared to the ones with good tails thats relatively cheap. I might just get rid of the first hour charge.. Rambling! GRR! Anyway.. advice? D:

AniaR
05-07-2013, 07:02 PM
you can get work with a fabric tail- that's how I started :) many people do. Clients don't really have expectations about mermaids because this is all very "new". We on the other end have it in our heads that we need the most realistic tail for the best jobs, which isn't true at all!

Carolina Mermaid
05-07-2013, 07:05 PM
I have the exact same tail, tear are a few tears in mine near the tips of the fluke. Their why I'm making a neoprene tail, more sturdy.

Mermaid Harmony
05-07-2013, 08:58 PM
I think your good, and you could charge more than $30, maybe start at $60. People will understand that, if you go too cheap then you might be letting others underestimate what your worth. Just food for thought. I had to learn that lesson a while ago, and although hard, it's made a world of difference, also if you are planning on entertaining say 20 children for a whole hour, that's a lot of work. Maybe add fins, like shelf liner? Maybe that would help it not stick, or distract away?