PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Fluke...

Merella
05-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Ok... I hope to make my first tail ever this summer. I can wrap my mind around the molds and scales and the silicone part for the body of the tail. However, I can't visualize how i'm going to manage making the fluke with silicone. :/

ShyMer
05-18-2013, 08:55 AM
It's basically the same thing. What are you having trouble with exactly? Have you read all the threads on making a tail?

Merella
05-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Well, I've read as many as I can find. While I've started the mold on my tail and I'm beginning to sculpt the scales on it, I just cant wrap my mind around it. Like after you make the mold for the fluke and finish all the details you want on the fin, how exactly would you apply the silicone? Especially for the foot covering. Do I have to encase my whole monofin in clay and mold it that way? thanks for the reply.

Aziara
05-18-2013, 11:23 AM
While I haven't made a tail myself, the way I understand it is that you make the fluke first in clay, precisely how you want the finished fluke to look. You only have to make the clay in the shape of 'half' the fluke (either front or back) and try to make it symmetrical. You can mold this on top of your monofin if you like, to make sure it will fit in the finished product. Make a cast of this. Pour silicone into the resulting mold twice, to make two identical fluke pieces. Then make a monofin sandwich with them (silicone/monofin/silicone).
If I haven't gotten something right (remember, I haven't made one myself), would those who have made one please chip in?

ShyMer
05-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Most people do a clay sculpture, make a plaster mold (or some other material), then pour the silicone into the plaster mold. Some people cut the plaster step out by only using clay, but I personally don't think that's a good idea.

Merella
05-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Oh my gosh I understand! Thanks Aziara and Mershy! I understand how to mold and silicone the fin now. The foot covering is made by the space left behind by the mono fin! :D ill get right on the molds and ill post pictures!