PDA

View Full Version : New member from Northern California

Simone
05-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Simone and I'm from Northern California in Humboldt County. I just want to say that I'm so happy to have found this community of such awesome fellow mermaids! I've been in love with mermaids since I was a child, though I always preferred the stories like the original Little Mermaid that had darker sides to them over versions like Disney (I still love Ariel though!) I've always had recurring dreams about being a mermaid and breathing underwater. When I was little I was convinced I was a mermaid in a past life and would make tails out of sheets and other household materials. I remember once my mother made me a mermaid costume for Halloween and I was disappointed that it had holes in the bottom for my legs to poke through for walking. I guess I wanted to be authentic and expected to be carried around all night while trick or treating. :p
As a teenager I tried to start making more elaborate tails for swimming, I took a pair of my Grandmother's spandex pants and she was a larger lady so both of my legs fit into one pant leg and I used that as my base. I got a lot of use out of that sad looking tail. It wasn't very functional but I was proud and did a lot of photos in it anyway. I'll post some of my old photos when I can find them. I was never completely satisfied though. I currently don't have a functioning tail but my ultimate dream is to create a hyper realistic looking swimmable mermaid tail. I can't afford to purchase one so I'm going to be making my own but would one day love to work up to owning a Merbella's tail.
In non-mermaid related background, I am a 25 year old rogue taxidermist. Basically I'm an ethical taxidermist that preserves roadkill and other animals that would otherwise go to waste. I also create wet specimens with ethically sourced sea life, my favorite and most popular project being my wet specimen baby octopus. My work can be seen here: www.SimoneSmith.com No animals including the octopi are harmed or killed for my work, they are unfortunate byproducts of the seafood industry that would be thrown out if not preserved. My dream once I complete my tail is to educate my local community about sea life, especially the problems we face in our community on the topic of the bay, and essentially be the "mermaid of the humboldt bay." I know taxidermy and mermaiding is a strange combination but they're two things I'm very passionate about. My style is a bit different than what people generally think of mermaids, but I want to make it work. I'm obsessed with the 1920s and so I think I'm going to be going for a flapper style mermaid (Pearls, finger waves, intense makeup). The North Coast as far as the ocean goes is overcast and freezing so my mermaid personality translates into a darker, stormy siren character that creates turmoil as opposed to warm, colorful, and bubbly. I'll start posting in the tailmaking section and would absolutely love input from you guys to help develop both my tail and my personality to go with it.
Sorry for such a long introduction, I'm excited to connect with you all and go more into depth with everything I talked about in the appropriate forums. :)

MerMatt
05-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Welcome to the community.

Maris
05-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Hey girl! I am also from Northern California! Santa Cruz area. I'm new to this, but definitely welcome to the community!

AniaR
05-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Hi Simone, welcome to the forum.
You look so cute in your avatar pic, like a flapper!
I use deviantART a lot (been on there for a decade!) and there's loads of ethical taxidermist on there. Some really awesome work has been shared around so I am actually familiar with the term!
Checked out your website, really cool work.

It seems to be a trend for so many of us that we made costumes growing up! I'm sure you'll be able to find the right tools here to help you create a costume too if you wanted! :)

Best fishes

Ariadne
05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Hi there, so glad you're here! :)

Simone
06-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks @AniaR !
I'm really excited to have found mernetwork after years of not knowing there were others that shared my passion for mermaids. I bought your book and absolutely love it, you're one of the reasons I'm getting back into mermaiding :)

mermaidwhisperer
07-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Oh wow I was researching the Humboldt country area about two years ago for a book I was going to write. It sounds so beautiful! Isn't the water down there freezing?

Mermaid Avalon
07-21-2013, 11:45 PM
awesome introduction.....best wishes to you!

Astrid_the_Mermaid
09-22-2017, 06:35 PM
Oh my gosh I live in Eureka in Humboldt! I just got my first mermaid tail and didn't want to do it alone so you want to hang out and meet up? We can mermaid swim together! :) I am so happy I'm not alone in this up here. :)