PDA

View Full Version : River Swimming

ShyMer
05-22-2013, 11:05 AM
It occurred to me the other day that I live five minutes away from a river, so why haven't I gone swimming there? How cool would it be to be Williamsport's river mermaid?

I live by the Williamsport section of the Potomac river. It's upstream from Harper's Ferry. It has a wide calm water area by the section that I would enter the water. I've seen other people in the water at the dock area, but it's not an official swimming spot and has no lifeguards or roped off areas.
I'd like to use this for some tail swimming and general fitness, but I have no idea what to expect. I assume if I take things easy, start out with just a monofin, bring a buddy to make sure I don't drown or something, and watch for boats I should be okay. Common sense with caution.

Any advice for currents or debris I might encounter? I read to avoid the water until a few days after a rain, but it sounds like the water's a lot cleaner here than it is farther downstream near the Washington area.
I just never hear about people swimming here. Thoughts?

Echidna
05-22-2013, 06:26 PM
River swimming can be tricky.
You never know what junk (sharp sticks, lumber...) might have been dumped in or was swept there.

Generally, it is dangerous to swim near jetties/dikes, watergates, piers, dams, and weirs because of the strong eddies they can produce, so make sure to be well away fom any such a construction.
There also might be waterplants to avoid.

I'd go very slowly and carefully and see which area is safe to swim in, always with a buddy (in a canoe or dinghy) nearby, especially if there are boats on the river.

SweeteSiren
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Try swimming without your tail first. Once you've made friends with the water and know where the currents are (and, as Caltuna points out, the hazards) then try with just your monofin. You might also want to tether a flotation device or a body board to your wrist in case you get into trouble.
Once you've practiced, if you feel comfortable with the river, I think you should go for it!

Bellasea
05-27-2013, 07:34 AM
I agree with SweetSiren. I can't count the number of times I've jumped into the river first, without checking it out, and bashed my self up ramming into junk. When you do swim in the river, use goggles. Even if it throws off the whole mermaid feel, you can check out whats down there.

Odette
05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
I love river swimming!!You just glide. Didn't have any issues with debris or rocks.just swim diagonally when you want to get out.and watch for mossy rocks.they are extremely slippery.