PDA

View Full Version : Fin Fun mermaids

MerAnthony
05-29-2013, 04:09 PM
http://www.finfunmermaid.com/monofins.html They came out with a monofin for kids an adults. Great deal I think.

Blondie
05-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Not a bad price either. I like the shape. I'm skeptical about the momentum they give in the water though...

AniaR
05-29-2013, 05:51 PM
they're a nice company :)

MerAnthony
05-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Raina you are 100% correct. I bought a skin for my daughter an the lady I talked to was very helpful an super nice. She also said that they were going to be making skins for adults, but she didn't say when. I might have to get one.

MerEmma
05-29-2013, 08:54 PM
I bought a pair of their swim shorts and love them! :)

Ariadne
05-29-2013, 10:14 PM
I will be buying a tail for my little merling as soon as they open up for orders!

shimmygoddess
05-30-2013, 02:01 PM
That is where I got my daughters tail last year and had great customer service.

Roxanna Meta
07-13-2013, 04:57 AM
I bought the Monofin Pro from Fin Fun for my first tail, as it's budget-friendly and I like that it's already in a mermaid shape. :)

The packaging was very cute - it came in a large flat cardboard slip, covered in a clear wrap with a cute sticker. It also came with some guidelines on how to use it and care for it.

It's a pretty teal color. The insert is polycarbonate and the exterior is neoprene. You slide your feet into the holes and pull the cuffs up around your ankles. Your feet touch the plastic inside and can touch each other (somewhat disappointing, but oh well). The tips are sewn over but the inside of the end (not sure what the term is) is open to let water flow through. You're supposed to be able to remove the insert easily to clean it, but I have a lot of trouble pulling the neoprene and stretching it enough to do that. I'm getting a tiny bit of fraying on the serged stitches from the effort, although nothing I'm worrying about at this point.

It doesn't provide the propulsion of an athletic fin, but it's fine for me, and it has lovely movement and feels very graceful in the water. Occasionally my feet slide around in it and it twists sideways, or one of my heels starts to slip up a little bit, but those things haven't been a huge problem so far.

If anyone else has any questions about this fin, please feel free to ask me! :)

Jadestone
07-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Cool! Are you going to be making a tail to go over it? That looks like it could hide your ankles pretty well with the neoprene cover that's on it.

Seraphina Suds
07-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know if other monofins will fit in their tail skins?

Echinacea
08-24-2013, 12:00 AM
I had gotten the Fin Fun Monofin Pro back at the beginning of August, but yesterday was the first chance I have had to use it for longer than five minutes! Like Roxanne Meta said, it came well-packaged, with instructions. It is fairly easy to put on and take off, not sure if it will be quite as easy with a tail. It is very comfortable. I have a womens size 9 wide foot, plus I was born with a clubfoot on my right side, so my foot turns out more than normal on that side, so I like the fact that it is kind of like wearing a pair of socks, not a rigid footbed. It is a bit floppy, so not tremendous propulsion. I also had my husband, my brother-in-law, and one sister try it, so it is definitely a 'one size fits many'! My brother-in-law used to swim butterfly on a swim team, so he knows how to do a pretty good dolphin kick, and he said it was ok for propulsion, but not as good as a more rigid fin would be, if you were trying for speed. So, I would say it is a good starter fin or if you are on a tight budget ($49.95 plus shipping).

Mary Marine
08-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Just ordered the adult monofin from them a couple days ago. I'm excited!

Sasha
08-27-2013, 09:03 AM
I see that this is a big enough monofin. Tell me please, what is their width?

Mary Marine
08-27-2013, 03:52 PM
My monofin arrived yesterday! I just got back form the pool where I spent about an hour and a half kicking around in it.

Let me start by saying it arrived much faster than I expected! I chose the standard ground shipping and got it in less than a week. It's also bigger than I thought from looking at the picture on their website. I'll measure it later (right now it's outside to dry) so I can give the exact dimensions.

When I put it on I noticed there wasn't a foot pocket, your feet are just sandwiched between the neoprene and the polycarbonate fin. On the one hand this makes it super comfortable, no pinching because there isn't anything to pinch, but it also makes your feet slide around inside a bit, making turns harder. Also because your feet are not secured to the fin you feel like you have to kick harder. If you're doing a full body dolphin kick it's not really noticeable, but if you're doing anything else it's a little annoying.

The propulsion if pretty wimpy, less than my regular fins, so I found myself using my arms a lot more to stop from floating to the surface (I am super buoyant!). However, the motion of the fin looks fantastic in the water! Very nice, smooth flowing motion, it must look great in a tail.

Cleaning is pretty easy, you can pop the polycarbonate out of the pockets and pull it right out. I washed the cover to get rid of the chlorine, right now it's outside to dry. I was very careful not to stand or bend the tips of the fin while swimming since the instructions warned this could cause it to break, so I suspect this fin isn't as durable as other monofins.

Overall it's a pretty decent monofin if you don't want to spend a lot of money. I recommend it for beginner mers (like me) or parents looking to get one for their child.

PROS:
- Inexpensive
- Fast shipping
- Very comfortable
- Looks good in the water
- Easy to clean

CONS:
- Weak propulsion
- Feet tend to slide around inside a bit
- Fin not very durable

Sasha
08-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Big thank's!:)

Aurelian
03-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Can someone give me the measurements of the new FinFun monofin pro? I want to find the dimensions so that if I get a FinFun tail skin further down the line, I can know my monofin will fit. (I'm pretty sure I will need the measurements across the two bottom fluke tips as well as the height of the tail both from the bottom tips of the fin and from the highest point in the center.)

Merman Storm
03-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Just got as new one a couple of weeks ago.

Tip to tip: 20 1/2" (That is, if you stand the fin up on a table, the distance between where the fin tips touch the table)
Maximum width, side to side: 22 1/4"
Overall length (fin tips to back of heel): 21"
Back of heel to the the highest point in the center: 14 1/2"

Aurelian
03-28-2017, 02:24 PM
Just got as new one a couple of weeks ago.

Tip to tip: 20 1/2" (That is, if you stand the fin up on a table, the distance between where the fin tips touch the table)
Maximum width, side to side: 22 1/4"
Overall length (fin tips to back of heel): 21"
Back of heel to the the highest point in the center: 14 1/2"
Thanks!:D

Sea~Phoenix Savannah
06-08-2017, 09:54 PM
They make good monofins; very cost effective, pretty flow underwater, about mid-level propulsion, quite easy to clean, though somewhat prone to breakage I hear. Overall a good monofin, especially to learn on.