PDA

View Full Version : LED or UV paint?

melbel1023
08-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Ok, I have this awesome tail idea, but I need help figuring out some things.
I'm a big fan of skeletons - especially Mexico's day of the dead style. Here's my sketches:

I want to use Neoprene only, with a white fabric for the bones.
Now, here is where I am stuck:
Should I use UV paint or LED lights?
I'm crazy partial to the LED lights, but the options for submersible LED lights are limited to candle tealights and fishing lights...And those are either not-long-lasting, they flash (I want on-steady lights), or they aren't the color i want (fishing lights tend to be bright green/blue/red). Real LEDs are either battery operated or need to be plugged in, both can result in a mess of safety issues when introduced to water...
Someone on my FB suggested embedding the LED lights in latex/silicone and making a waterproof case for the battery pack. I LOVE that idea, but I have no idea how to do either of those! Any suggestions?

The other option is choosing UV paint and swimming under a black light. Its inexpensive, but its not exactly what I want.

I want the option to turn on my lights whenever, and not to be inconvenienced by too much light or not enough black light. I NEED HELP!

Mermaid Sirena
11-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't know about all of that but for getting the color you want what about putting a thin coat of paint or tint over the lights so that the light shines through as that color :) I don't know about you but I loved putting tissue paper over flashlights when I was little to make my own rainbows ^_^

malinghi
11-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Have you considered electroluminescent tape? I don't know if its waterproof and I think its kinda expensive, but its a possibility.

Spindrift
11-27-2011, 04:54 AM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/294595_277993352234827_100000724947993_923425_1308 459379_n.jpg

Mermaid Jewel
11-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Glow in the dark paint, not fluorescent, will glow without a blacklight. It normally has to be tons of layers and a good degree of darkness but that's one way to go, I guess. We used glow in the dark spray paint for decorations for a dance once and it was pretty cool. I know they sell glow in the dark paint too, the only one I've seen is from Martha Stewart though.

Mermaid Saphira
11-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't think I can help u but let me just say that your tail is gonna look so cool! Good Luck! :)

Mermaid Sirena
11-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Spindrift that is an amazing photo you posted :D

Spindrift
11-27-2011, 06:44 PM
@Mermaid Sirena: It's from Weeki Wachee, I think!

Mermaid Narina
08-04-2012, 03:00 AM
LED lights would be absolutely amazing, and it would mean that you could light up whenever (not just in the dark)
i have glow in the dark nailpolish (its so cool) so im sure you can get glow in the dark paint if you wanted ton!
goodluck!

SilverSiren
08-06-2012, 02:36 AM
You can get photo luminescent pigments if you just do a quick Google search, they can easily be added to createx paints (they cure with a bit of heat and become more permanent) and come in different colours, though the greens and blues glow the brightest. As for a battery operated option, have you thought about fiber optics? LED option would work too but as you said the water proofing would prove a challenge but this might help get you started http://www.lightbulbs24.com/led-strip-lighting/waterproof-led-strips-c-303_337_348.html Good Luck!

AniaR
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
my tail glows under black light :D

Jinx
08-07-2012, 10:54 PM
I am in the middle of making a tail that has vinyl tubing in it. Then I have a box of glow necklaces. The kids you get at fairs. Then I can slide the necklaces into the tubing to give glow in the dark of whatever color I like. Then I can switch them out next time. If you want to do what I think you are saying you can sew or glue the tubing on where you want the glowing to be and use the necklace technique.

SilverSiren
08-08-2012, 04:03 AM
I am in the middle of making a tail that has vinyl tubing in it. Then I have a box of glow necklaces. The kids you get at fairs. Then I can slide the necklaces into the tubing to give glow in the dark of whatever color I like. Then I can switch them out next time. If you want to do what I think you are saying you can sew or glue the tubing on where you want the glowing to be and use the necklace technique.

Now that's thinking! Good job! Only concern... thoughs glow neclaces will snap under pressure... glow in the dark liquid everywhere! eek! Might want to do a rigorous test run out of water first? Sorry to be a damper on the great idea, it really is a GREAT idea, just want people to be safe. I'm sure the plastic tubing it would be encased in would keep it protected?

Lyna
08-08-2012, 08:46 AM
so neat! i don't glow in a blacklight.....jealous.

Firemaid
08-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Hey jinx! you send me a PM, but i can't reply because your setting dont allow it!
:p

Jinx
08-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I tested the glow sticks out years ago that is why I know it will work under pressure. My highschool boyfriend over 16 years ago and I built a little city out of the glow sticks and put them at the bottom of the diving pool for his swim team party when he won state. It was a 30 foot deep pool so I know that they will work for as deep as I would be willing to dive. So fears to rest glow stick on!

Mermaid Fenicia
08-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Those glow sticks are made for divers in the first place, so they have to work under water ;)

Mermaid Lohgan
08-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I feel like--in opinion-- it's best to use LED, especially if you are swimming with it? Because LED light it not harmful to fish. That's why a lot of tank lights are LED because it is the only light that is safe for them.

Possibly LED wiring with strips of shower curtain overlaying it to diffuse the light? That's fun construction though! ;D

Merman_Shawn
08-10-2012, 09:07 PM
You could always use EL Wire. These guys had awesome success with it.

http://youtu.be/f2hgvGnwr_8

Jinx
08-11-2012, 01:15 AM
the glow sticks i use are the ones from the necklaces they sell at fairs. you can get them at stores like 5below 50 in a box for $5.00

Merman Chatfish
11-25-2014, 12:57 AM
my tail glows under black light :D

Pictures!

Thats a great idea, I might need to steal it. Any pictures of the finished project?

Now that's thinking! Good job! Only concern... thoughs glow neclaces will snap under pressure... glow in the dark liquid everywhere! eek! Might want to do a rigorous test run out of water first? Sorry to be a damper on the great idea, it really is a GREAT idea, just want people to be safe. I'm sure the plastic tubing it would be encased in would keep it protected?

Oh for a musical we had these 1" glow sticks, which would give you multiple bend points.

This question is also at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?520-LED-or-UV-paint (probably a submit button hit twice) that is going more on LEDs. I have an LED idea that might work.