PDA

View Full Version : HD underwater cameras?!

MermaidSophia
05-30-2013, 06:25 PM
So I really want to take pictures and videos underwater with HD. I have the Flip camera cover, but here's the problem. I really want to be able to place the camera on the bottom of the pool and be able to swim over it for cool sunlight shots, but the Flip always floats up and won't stay put. Do you know any cameras that will appear with 720p or 1080p on YouTube that will do that? Also, I'm looking for something reasonably priced, nothing over $250-300. Thanks!

AniaR
05-30-2013, 06:32 PM
you wont find one for that price that does all those things. Underwater HD cameras are insanely expensive. Underwater cameras in general cost that much, but wont have the dpi, battery life, or same quality. digital slrs cost more than that, give great HD video and photos, can do that dpi, but it's very expensive (almost as much for the camera) to get a housing. Speaking as someone who has all those things and used them all ;) your best bet would probably be a gopro

Mermaidmechanic
05-30-2013, 09:40 PM
I <3 the GoPro for like... everything. Not sure what the stats on it are but some friends and I went swimming with one and the video was surprisingly good quality. :D

Blondie
05-30-2013, 11:54 PM
GOPRO! GOPRO!

I'm a huge GoPro nut! I have the Silver Hero 3 addition. It was $299. The picture is just gorgeous. Sometimes I'm like "Wow, I don't even have to photoshop anything" because it looks so perfect. The colors are spectacular. And don't let it's tiny size fool you! That little camera really packs a punch! Also, all the mounts and add ons are too much fun to play with. I love love love my go pro.

Ilyena
05-31-2013, 12:04 AM
I Have the Nikon CoolPix (water/drop/freeze proof one), that cost me $350 with a 32 GB high quality SD card (it’ll be a bit cheaper if you get a smaller SD card though). Its pictures are really good and easy to use, plus unlike the GoPro, it has a screen to see what you took afterwards >_<

Winged Mermaid
05-31-2013, 12:54 AM
I love my GoPro, but I've invested $600+ in it (well, I should say my hubby has- he's been buying me different stuff for Christmas, birthday, ect). I got the Black 3. The quality goes above 1080 up to 4k (youtube doesn't accept anything higher than 1080 though). My channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/mermaidiona) is full of videos taken with it, and my latest video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnaEk4nGTw) I think really shows off the quality. But yeah, finding a underwater that shoots in 720 and 1080 isn't likely for that price.

If you like your flip but it floats, just get some lead shot weights to weigh it down. The kind that are tiny lead balls in a mesh bag. Easy fix! Or you can just create something to hold it. You don't need to go spending $300+ just becuase of camera positioning :)

Mermaidmechanic
05-31-2013, 01:09 AM
I Have the Nikon CoolPix (water/drop/freeze proof one), that cost me $350 with a 32 GB high quality SD card (it’ll be a bit cheaper if you get a smaller SD card though). Its pictures are really good and easy to use, plus unlike the GoPro, it has a screen to see what you took afterwards >_<

My friends go pro had a screen... maybe it was a more expensive version but I definitely remember a screen on it.

Winged Mermaid
05-31-2013, 01:31 AM
You can buy a LCD screen backpack, for $80. I just bought one myself. I'm actually having issues with it freezing the entire camera at the moment too. :/

Ilyena
05-31-2013, 01:44 AM
Cheaper options of the GoPro here haven't got a screen, the cheapest GoPro's here are about $350-$400 (not on special) and those haven't got a screen. But yea, you're right they would be more expensive.

MermaidSophia
05-31-2013, 01:50 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'll look into the GoPro. Those price ranges were just estimates, I think I might be willing to invest a little more. Thanks again!

Blondie
05-31-2013, 04:38 AM
I don't use the LCD back pack. It's $75 here but... I have no problem using the tiny selection screen in the front. It's very simple. At first you might be like "Err yeah I'm getting the back pack" but once you use your camera a few times you're like "Bah I don't need that!" I don't know. Maybe one day I'll get it because it is nice to see what you're shooting. But GoPros have a nice range on what they catch when they film. For a tiny camera it REALLY films a lot when it films. It does have a bit of a fish eye curve to it, but nothing too out there. It actually is made with the fish eye lens to perfect filming underwater.

Ariel-Starfish
05-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks for bringing this up! I'm looking for a decent underwater camera myself and I already asked this before in another tread, but nowone answered :(

Winged Mermaid
06-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Really this question has been asked so many times I just need to merge them all into one thread and say "go look at this thread" when someone asks :P

Ariel-Starfish
06-01-2013, 03:59 AM
Haha yeah <3

Ilyena
06-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Speaking of that, there's a new thread with the exact same question roughly

Christopher Chandler
06-05-2013, 01:51 AM
I am a retired professional photographer and have a Nikon D4 with a Ikelite Underwater Housing. I prefer to use my GoPro because my seven year old daughter swims with me and she has a tail and she is able to take pictures and video with the GoPro without issues.

malinghi
06-05-2013, 02:10 AM
I really want to be able to place the camera on the bottom of the pool and be able to swim over it for cool sunlight shots, but the Flip always floats up and won't stay put.

I imagine that the designers of a lot of underwater camera might design them to float, since it would suck if every time someone let go of the camera in open water it sank to the bottom of the ocean. As Iona said, weights are a good option. You can buy them at a dive shop.

Seatan
10-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Hey, Iona, you said you own the GoPro Hero 3 black Edition? I heard a lot of people whining on Amazon about having problems with the 3, but then a few can seem like the many when it comes to reviews. Is yours still doing you good?

Also, is it worth it to buy a warranty? People seem to be saying 'no' cause it's very durable.