PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to make a see-through monofin

MermaidSarah
05-30-2013, 07:47 PM
I have a design in my head but to start I would need a see-through monofin.The reason for this is I want to start out clear and some how glue cellophane onto the clear in the right spots.If you want a full idea of the tail the tail and the fluke are going to be designed like Aquamarines but with instead of white or see-through to give it more color and then adding a cellophane dorsal fin on the back which I think the end result will look pretty awesome.I still haven't decided if I want to make the rest of the tail the same color as Aquamarines which is blue but I still have time to think about it and process what would look good.So if anyone knows how to make a see-through monofin that would be great!I can't seem to find one on the internet.

Mermaid Dottie
05-31-2013, 12:43 AM
Best way, in my opinion, is Lexan. It won't break if made right, and is completely transparent. the only thing wrong with my lexan monofin is that the neoprin footpocket is coming off. I highly recommend using Dr. Seaweed's tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rsk5oqGNbbw) on how to make a monofin with silicone foot pockets.

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 06:06 AM
Also, remember that in that screen shot it was an animatronic tail. XP

But yeah, Lexan would be your best bet.

MerEmma
05-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Lexan is really the only option but make sure you bare in mind that it is likely to easily break. Make it so you can easily replace it.

Echidna
05-31-2013, 08:56 AM
The custom monofin of magictail is completely transparent (apart from the footpocket).
It's made from polypropylene.
Not sure if that is better or worse to work with than lexan though.

MerAnthony
05-31-2013, 10:22 AM
http://mernetwork.com/index/album.php?albumid=417&attachmentid=6756
I made this from Lexan an it works very well.

Toxotes
05-31-2013, 11:44 AM
There are two different materials that look nearly the same:

Polymethylmethacrylate (acrylic glass or plexiglass)
is a transparent polymer which breaks really easy.

Polycarbonat (Lexan is a brand name, same as Makrolon)
is also transparent but really difficult to break, in comparison to acrylic glass.
And it is more expensive.
CDs, DVDs and safety goggles are made out of it.

I really don't know what material the magictail monofins are made of, but i would only use Polycarbonate.

MermaidSarah
06-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks! I saw the picture and that is along with the lines of what I need.Now it's a just a matter of figuring out the material for the dorsal fin because I also want to do the cellophane material for the dorsal fin but not sure what to use so it doesn't tear and I can sit on it when need be.

http://mernetwork.com/index/album.php?albumid=417&attachmentid=6756
I made this from Lexan an it works very well.

Jinx
07-25-2013, 02:21 AM
I used acrylic as a test and it broke right Ady so I went with lexan 1/8 inch and it worked wonderfully. When cutting it you needed to use a special cutting blade which will only last on time around cause curing lexan is tough. I used a dremel with the special blade and halfway through I burned the motor out when it was a brand new one. So use something with a lot of horse power so you don't kill your tool. Also a way to get the lit look of the aquamarine tall is clear plastic tubing which you can get at any Home Depot. Use Goop marine adhesive to glue them to the lexan and glow sticks from 5 below slide right in and look awesome. I made a (different color) replica of the talks the company that made the aquamarine tail had made so I know what it is like wanting a translucent fin.