PDA

View Full Version : Poofy, Frizzy Hair... Halp

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 12:43 AM
So... At one point in my life I had really nice wavy hair as seen here:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/941969_362229113878075_712658771_n.jpg

But now... It just turns into a big poof ball if I try to brush it. As seen here:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o143/meow-woof/20130530_213611_zps92d68c1e.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/meow-woof/media/20130530_213611_zps92d68c1e.jpg.html)

^ Yay random photo. Haha

So, I don't know if it's because I dyed my hair red and it's just been fritz to high heaven or if I need to look into a different brush because I'm breaking my hair or what... ><

I used to use Tresseme Hydrating Curls (which is now something else or something) then I've wandered about different products and use Mane and Tail at the mo'... Sorta... Kind of just started (2 washes in)

So.... Yeah... Dunno if dye + swimming is doing something or age or what. I'm just like GAH HAIR LOOK NICE. And it slaps me in the face and says no.

I have naturally curly (ish) hair. For example, this is after I swam in the ocean and it dried on my way back home(I did rinse it there so it's not salt slathered):

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/945675_364170710350582_1596839307_n.jpg

Any help? Thanks!

Mermaid_Sarah
05-31-2013, 12:58 AM
My hair gets sorta frizzy sometimes when I brush it to. What I do (I don't know if it'll work for you) is I get a comb and put water on it, and quickly un-friz it with the water. Then I hair spray it and that usually keeps it from getting frizzy for a while!

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah, water helps to a degree, but I loathe hairspray. >< Absolutely and entirely. BAH Haha I only really use it for wigs or formal events.

<3 Thank you, though! ^_^

Mermaidmechanic
05-31-2013, 01:06 AM
I had that issue after relentlessly dying my hair many many times. I too have naturally wavy/curly hair (although I choose to straighten it most of the time). My solution was to brush it without ripping through your hair and to use this stuff http://itsa10haircare.com/index.html. Expensive, but it works sooooo well. Now my hair behaves itself. :)

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 05:47 AM
Meep! Expensive is not in my budget, but as SOON as I can afford it, I will try it! I've tried Wen, but it's kinda meh...

ShyMer
05-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Have you ever looked into coconut oil? That stuff is amazing. Don't use too much at a time though.

Aziara
05-31-2013, 11:46 AM
I never actually use a brush in my hair... just a comb. And I never comb it wet, I only lightly detangle it by running my hands through it. Seems to help. But I agree with ShyMer, coconut oil would help to hydrate your hair, which would tame it a bit. If it makes it look too oily, only put the oil in if you're going to wash it later that day. Personally, any oil that I leave in my hair makes me look like a bedraggled mop.... but my mom puts handfuls and it looks great. So it just depends on how your hair reacts to it I guess.

Mermaidmechanic
05-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Ah, I almost forgot to mention: wash your hair infrequently! Only when you feel like it really needs to be washed. Your scalp secretes an oil that protects your hair but shampoos wash all of it away. I mean, obviously it needs to be washed after swimming but in between that, too much washing hair = bad.

Taylor is a Mermaid
05-31-2013, 05:13 PM
I feel like I have the magic solution! Hear me out: curly girl method. The curly girl method involves getting rid of all silicones and sulfates. Silicone sucks for hair because it coats the hair follicle and prevents moisture from getting in, which over time makes the hair duller. Sulfates suck because, although they are in most shampoos, they are actually what dishwashing soaps use to CUT GREASE on pots on pans! Especially for those of us with wavy or curly hair, the last thing we need is to wash away all the natural oils on our hair. The part that makes people raise eyebrows but really works for me is that I don't brush my hair. I comb it out with my fingers in the shower, but brushing it pulls out the natural curl or wave of the hair, making it flatter and frizzier. I also use gel in my hair every day and let my hair air dry. Once it's dry, I scrunch my hair to remove the hard gel cast. It really does work. Consider checking out the curly girl book: http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Handbook-Lorraine-Massey/dp/076115678X or at least googling "curly girl". It has completely changed my hair.

Mermaid Kalliope
05-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Ah, I almost forgot to mention: wash your hair infrequently! Only when you feel like it really needs to be washed. Your scalp secretes an oil that protects your hair but shampoos wash all of it away. I mean, obviously it needs to be washed after swimming but in between that, too much washing hair = bad.

Hahaha oh, I am the Queen of not washing my hair. XP I loathe showers and the tub here is icky!

Taylor - Oh my god, I love you. Haha miss ya! Minus the gel, I do that! But my hair gets horribly knotted and frizzy and just ick if I don't brush it. :-( hrmmm maybe if I cut it THEN employ your method. Mwahahaha we shall see.

mermaid_nixie
05-31-2013, 09:10 PM
My hair is the exact same. Its wavy/curly naturally and its SOOO firzzy. Please let me know if you find a solution!! xD

MerAnthony
05-31-2013, 10:18 PM
My hair is like that Curly an wavy. Plus for a guy my hair is really long.( middle of my back ) an when I get done sometime it looks like I stuck my finger in a light socket. Coconut oil doesn't seem to help me at all. If somebody has a really good thing to try I would like to know.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Well, I took a shower pretty much right after I posted and I tried what Taylor said. I ditched the comb (except when in the shower. I use a wide toothed comb to help spread conditioner. I have a lot of hair. x.x ) And my hair looks nice. :D

It's been all night. (ha ha night mer here. >< I need to sleep more)

Here be the picture:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o143/meow-woof/20130601_061353_zps65273b85.jpg (http://s119.photobucket.com/user/meow-woof/media/20130601_061353_zps65273b85.jpg.html)

Taylor is a Mermaid
06-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Gahhh it looks so pretty! :D Who knew you had those lovely curls?

ShyMer
06-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Such gorgeous curls <3 I hope that method works out for you long term, because it looks like you're off to a great start.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Awwwww thank you guys!!! ^_^

I hope it does, too. I wanna get it trimmed to help slowly get rid of the flyaway frizzies, but mer... munnies. D:

Sea Pearl
06-02-2013, 09:10 PM
I have curled wavy hair and living here in NC makes it really frizzy at times so I know how you feel. It can get frustrating. Someone I know who has curled hair that frizzes said I should start using coconut oil on my hair to tame the frizz. I have not tried it yet so I cannot say for sure if it works but I am definitely going to get some. Might be worth giving it a try.

Mizuko
06-02-2013, 09:55 PM
I am also a coconut oil lover. My hair is shinier, thicker and healthier since using it. :)

Winged Mermaid
06-03-2013, 02:14 AM
I don't have curly hair, but my hair has also decided it hates me since I started swimming more again (Feb, when I got my GoPro). I also dye my hair red so that probably has a lot to do with it too :/ I was excited about using Argon oil for my hair to help with damage. Then I realized recently that the product picked up recommended to me has more fragrance in it than argon oil :( It's pretty much all silicone. I think it's made my hair dryer and more damaged since I started using it November D: I'm ordering some argon oil from a company I trust (Mountain Rose Herbs) and hope that actually helps. I also have the Ion line for swimmers for when I swim.

I'm curious about coconut oil, as it's done great for my angry winter skin! Do you use it on hair as a masque? How often? My hair needs heeeeelp!

Usagi
06-03-2013, 02:31 AM
I have really, really dry hair naturally. I've also attacked it with bleach and dyes and peroxide and sun-in. It's supposed to be curly (when I was little, it was like curlier than Shirley Temple haha) but ever since I messed it up with bleach, it hasn't been the same. I've cut it and went through a whole jar of coconut oil. I was leaving conditioner on at night and trying hot oil treatments. I tried serum and this other deep conditioner thing. My hair still won't curl on the ends, though. Like it starts curly at the root, but about halfway down, it just becomes fried straight yuckness. Anything I can do about it? or am I just gonna have to keep trimming?

Mermaid Kalliope
06-03-2013, 10:58 PM
That sounds like you're going to have to keep trimming it. My ex-boyfriend's mum was a beautician and said that bleach/peroxide/etc. turns your hair into a brittle sponge. So, until you cut off that damaged hair, it probably won't curl. :-( That's why I'm wondering if dying my hair red has done some damage. Just going to have to go with henna. Haha. If you do want to dye your hair start looking into vegetable dyes like Manic Panic. Henna is a wonderful dye!

I know when I got a pixie cut after dying my hair black, it grew in and was amazing!

merline
06-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Dessert Essence Coconut defrizzer