PDA

View Full Version : Plastalina Clay

SomethingFishy
05-31-2013, 02:54 PM
I went to hobby lobby and have been looking at the Plastalina colored clay that doesn't dry or anything like that. I read however that there may be extremely small traces of natural sulfur in the clay. Would that mess up the curing of the silicone? This is what the website says:

"IS THERE SULFUR IN VAN AKENžS PLASTALINA?
Sulfur is not an ingredient in the formulation. It may be present in trace elements that can be measured in parts per million. However, the amount is so small that it does not affect the mold making process. These trace elements of sulfur may be found in the various raw materials used in making non-hardening modeling clay."

Theobromine
06-10-2013, 01:25 AM
I've been curious about this too. I googled around a while back and I think I found a few places that said it was sulfur-free, but I was still a little iffy on it.

Aziara
06-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Hmm...yeah, plastalina is really the only non-drying, oil-based clay I can buy locally... If it won't work, I'll have to order something expensive online, grr...

alton
06-14-2013, 03:50 AM
i would like to appreciate you for sharing such a great info with us

alton
06-14-2013, 03:50 AM
i would like to appreciate you for sharing such a great info with us

Mermaid Photine
06-14-2013, 12:42 PM
I've used Van Aken's Clay (the stuff with the smiley face on the package) in my molds that I use for playing around with dragonskin, and it has worked out fine. :)

Mer_Adella
06-14-2013, 10:18 PM
I've seen this clay too in local stores by me. I was curious about the sulfur in it and glad that I found this thread. Are others thinking of using this type of clay to make scales or flukes for silicone tails instead of using MonsterMakers or other types?