PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut?

Mermaid Kalliope
08-26-2011, 03:02 AM
That is my question.

I've been watching a few videos of mermaids in the Finis Wave and I've noticed that a lot of them don't cut it at all... They make the shape of the fluke out of fabric...

I prefer the half-moon shaped flukes, and I was thinking of cutting my monofin to reflect that, then add an extra bit of fabric to enhance it.

(The black stripe at the end of the fluke)

Taylor is a Mermaid
08-26-2011, 06:55 AM
I think most don't, but you guys probably know how I feel about this: cut it! I think it looks much better that way. But then I was inspired by the magictail.de tails when I made my own tail, and they have a mermaid-shaped monofin and fabric that fits fairly tightly around that. And their tails rock if you ask me.

taom
08-26-2011, 10:12 AM
I would also say cut it. The convex shape of the monofin will show through fabric which s bad when you want it concave. Even if it isn't a drastic change, a little shaping would add a more realistic look.

Spindrift
08-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Most people don't cut it because of one of two reasons, 1) don't know how to/don't have the materials to or 2) they want to have a bigger fluke.

AniaR
08-26-2011, 11:21 AM
just consider when you cut your fin it will sink down further in your tail and for it to look the best you'll want the fluke material really tight around it. My mertailor fluke is cut- it was suggested to me to cut it so I would have a few more inches of waist to pull up (before Raven fixed it) and it completely ruined the look of the fluke as it no longer filled it up and displaced my feet.

I dont personally like tails that simply stretch across the monofin though- looks more like a manatee tail than anything else! But that's my personal preference.

Winged Mermaid
08-26-2011, 04:29 PM
If it was me, I'd cut it.

LindseyLu
08-26-2011, 05:10 PM
I agree, cut it! Especially if your doing a crescent moon shape, I don't think you'd have any trouble with it tearing as long as you're not cutting a V shape... I much prefer the fishier fluke shape to the manatee style as well, it just iseems more flattering to a female's form.

Mermaid Kalliope
08-28-2011, 05:27 AM
Well, looks like it's decided.....

I'm gonna cut it!!!