PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! What is wrong with my sewing machine?

Mermaid Elena
06-03-2013, 04:36 PM
I've threaded it correctly and when I press the petal, it gets jammed almost immediately. The need is fine, the bobbin isn't lumpy or anything, and I keep both the ends of threads held down when I begin sewing. I don't know if I should adjust the tension because I can't even make one stitch! Has anyone had this problem before? Am I missing something in the threading process? I thought it was machine but then I borrowed my friends and the same thing was happening so I know it's me doing something wrong.

SweeteSiren
06-03-2013, 05:48 PM
I've had this problem sometimes with stretchy or sheer fabric. What are you trying to sew? Have you tried testing it on a standard piece of cotton or linen?

Mermaid Elena
06-03-2013, 06:16 PM
I think it's just the thread that I'm using. I'm sewing neoprene so I used a stronger, thicker string. I finally got it to go but I get frequent jams :/ it's ok though, it just takes more time. It's definitely still better than hand sewing though!

TheSolitarySiren
06-03-2013, 09:26 PM
There are various reasons why your sewing machine isn't working. It could be the fabric, the thread, the tension, the bobbin, or the needle.

I am a seamstress. I do tons of costuming/cosplay. I run my own shop and attend multiple festivals for costumes. The best part: I work at Jo-ann's fabric and crafts in the fabric department at the cutting counter. I can try help. I say: "Try" because it's difficult when on the internet. I'm more of a 'hands-on' person. So, I'm going to ask a few questions. Please answer them so I may assist you.

What brand of sewing machine is it?
What needle number are you using?
What brand of thread are you using?
What fabric are you sewing?
Have you tried re-threaded the bobbin?
What tension number is your thread on?
What tension number is your foot pressure on?