PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos and Body Modifications

Mermaid Kalliope
06-04-2013, 01:50 AM
Okay, not sure if this is in the right thread. This seemed to be the right one. Please feel free to move it if it isn't!

So, I've noticed that in some pictures of mers out there (men and women) you guys are sporting some body art!

How, as a performer, does that affect your look? Do you feel it detracts from your work or adds to it?

I have two tattoos, but both are hidden by a tail. I plan on doing both children's parties and events that may be just a gathering of adults for a fundraiser to just going to the beach, and also doing a bit of modelling.

Those of you out there with tattoos (or piercings) - How does it affect you? Do you use make-up to cover them up if at a gig? Or do you use them as part of your mersona?

Nashoba
06-04-2013, 02:11 AM
I'm Native. You can see the tattoos on my collarbones and my back. I plan for the theme of my outfit to incorporate this heritage and all my tattoos are Native symbols, so I don't think it'll be an issue for me. And, if someone mentions them, I'll explain the meanings. They all relate to the earth and to healing, so shouldn't be a big deal . . .

Mermaid Kalliope
06-04-2013, 03:30 AM
Oh wow! I'd love to see pictures of those. <3

Mermaidmechanic
06-04-2013, 04:18 AM
I have a huge tattoo of a Benu bird on my back. It goes down below where a tail would sit so I'm thinking of just covering it with a netting top and thick belt.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Ah... That would work! I am hoping to get more tattoos, but I plan on getting them on my legs. I do want to entertain children, and I don't know how they would take to that, well, more how parents​ would take.

Mermaid Nerinae
06-04-2013, 05:43 AM
I have a tribal tattoo of my own design that goes from my neck all the way down to my tailbone. I plan on having my tail fit around that so I can incorporate it into my mersona. I also have a tattoo on my hip, and the beginnings of a sleeve on my right arm. :>

All of my tattoos are family-friendly, and I definitely have NO problem or qualms about showing them off.

MermaidHyli
06-04-2013, 10:27 AM
I have four and only one of them is covered by my tail. The one on my ring finger goes mostly unnoticed because it is hebrew and my engagement ring covers it. The second is on my wrist and says still alive (from a song done by Flyleaf) that I dont mind the kids seeing it. And latestly is my large scales patches on my hip/side I feel like that really helps my performances because the kids who say I'm fake then see the tattoo and take it back :p

Mermaid Kalliope
06-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Awww the scales sound cute!

Mermaid Nerinae
06-05-2013, 04:59 AM
Ah, scales on the hip is nice! I want to get an octopus on my hip/thigh area and have the arms going up my side and down my leg a bit.

I'm addicted to tattoos! XD

Mermaid Annariea
06-05-2013, 11:15 PM
i have a celtic triquetra knot on my left hip, but it's covered by my tail. it looks just like this picture: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Triquetra-circle-interlaced.png but with shading at the overlaps.

i have NO issues showing it off though.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Oh my! I love those! ^_^

I wouldn't want to get scales, just in case I chose to get multiple tails and the scales don't match... Maybe just "skin tone" scales would work?

MermaidHyli
06-07-2013, 09:10 AM
I thought about that too, technically the scales on my tattoo dont match my tail because there is more yellow, green, and different shades of blue.. but I love it anyways becausw even when I dont have my tail on people still think I'm a mermaid :) the long red hair helps too haha

Mermaid Kalliope
06-08-2013, 02:31 AM
I am so jealous of your hair. It's the EXACT colour that I dye it and everyone thinks I'm a natural. haha I think I'll just start using your pictures at the salon. "What colour of red are you going for?" "See this mermaid? Yeah, her colour."

Haha

I might get the scales. Like a "greyscale" colour in patches on my sides. :D That'd be awesome! ^_^

Dacora
06-09-2013, 02:55 AM
I love mers with ink. I think it looks so cool, it looks cooler when the tail and tattoos match.

I haven't finished my tail but all the kids I swim with see my belly ring and either go "ooh pretty!" or shrug it off.

I plan on getting a blue ringed octopus on my shoulder and when kids ask ill tell them I saved an octopus from a fishing net. So he used his ink to give me a tattoo as a thank you. :p

Mermaid Kalliope
06-09-2013, 03:26 AM
OH MY GOSH THAT IS ADORBLE, DACORA! <3 I love the blue ringed octopus!!! I just don't know if I'd wanna get it inked. I will get an octopus, but I just don't think my skin will take to colour well. (My little red heart for my treble clef is kind of meh. )

Mermaid Nerinae
06-09-2013, 05:46 AM
To be honest, too, I haven't seen very many octopus tattoos. A blue ringed octopus sounds like an awesome tattoo~ :D
As far as skin taking to color: 3/4 of my tattoos are in black and white because I was worried about how color would look on my skin. My sleeve, however has started with koi and turbulent water and the color is FANTASTIC. Vibrant and clear. You can make it a point to tell your artist that you want colors that are going to be vibrant and pop. It'll make all the difference. :>

Mermaid Kalliope
06-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Hmm... I'll have to remember that! I'm working on a tribal "sleeve" it's more of a trail haha going from (right above) my left ankle (outside) and going up the side of my calf, then possibly thigh. It's of animals that are important in my life. Also, it will all be my artwork. :D I am seriously considering scales though, but in a way that they would look "skin tone" because I like my tails to have that "blended waistline" y'know? haha

Usagi
06-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Ah, scales on the hip is nice! I want to get an octopus on my hip/thigh area and have the arms going up my side and down my leg a bit.

I'm addicted to tattoos! XD

I've been wanting a really big tattoo of an octopus where the head/body is on my lower back, and the tentacles wrap around my stomach, and maybe my thigh and like, cup under my boobs. It wasn't until recently that I realize that's actually kinda creepy. Haha

Mermaid Harmony
06-09-2013, 06:04 PM
I have four tattoos, three are on my legs and feet, and one is on my shoulder. I say that many mermaids have tattoos to show where they come from, or which clan they are a part of. :-)

Mermaid Kalliope
06-09-2013, 10:04 PM
That's neat! I have thought about tattoos that could be considered an origin tattoo, but I feel weird about it because I don't really have much of a "where I'm from" thing. Bit of a mutt. :-P

What about piercings? I heard about 1 belly button ring. What about multiple ear piercings? Yea or nay?

Taniira
06-10-2013, 01:44 PM
If it were up to my brain, I would have rings all along my ear, but my body rejects piercings so I gave up. It took 11 tries just for regular lobe piercings to accept, I tried 3 or 4 times for a navel ring, and once each for a cartilage piecing and second lobe holes that were rejected. It makes me sad, but it's not worth wasting any more money. I tried a bunch of different metal options, too, so it wasn't that.

Luckily my body is fine with ink! I plan on getting a full back piece of an ocean scene as soon as I can save up the money -- hopefully next year.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-11-2013, 03:35 AM
Oooo! That sounds neat! Sucks though about the piercings! :< Especially when you want to have so many!

Mermaid Harmony
06-11-2013, 03:54 AM
I'm with you on the piercings, I tried 4 times to have my lobes pierced using everything I could think of, 24 Karat Gold, Sterling, Surgical steel, I think the last time I used titanium. I tried getting my nose pierced and LOVED it, but my nose was like...ummm no. And keloids happened and well, yeah, nose ring had to come out, it sucked major. I'm going to try repiercing my ears but by 'gaging' it, and hopefully I can pierce it with bone, or glass. Maybe my body won't reject it this time. Who knows!! But at least I can get tattoos!:-)

Mermaid Kalliope
06-11-2013, 04:04 AM
Good luck, harmony!! I currently have 2 regular (size 20/18) piercings and an extra piercing on my right ear that is a size 16 barbell surgical steel. It worked well, and was pierced without a gun, but the others were gun and aren't too happy. :< Boo. I'd love to have more. Maybe bone earrings would be cool for mermaiding!

Usagi
06-11-2013, 04:56 AM
When I was little, I loved piercings and said I would get my ears pierced all the way up..I currently have 6 on one ear and 5 on the other haha I've gotten some nasty keloids, but they healed, oddly enough. 3 of my piercings I did myself. Just numb it with ice and shove the earring through. Of course, this leaves room for error... ): lol Harmony, have you tried plastic? I bought a "gun" once (it was really just this cheap plastic thing. Not even Sally's quality) and it came with plastic earrings.

I also have a belly button piercing (I've been keeping it a secret from most people until I get in shape lol) but for some reason it won't really heal. It keeps...uhh..(tmi here) oozing. But I refuse to take it out because it cost me $40! :P

Ponytales
06-11-2013, 04:43 PM
I had a friend who had a scab form *inside* the piercing on her bellybutton and it kept doing that. It also made it very painful for her to change her ring, like it was very tight in the middle. It could also be that, if you are out of shape, maybe your waistband on your pants rubs too tightly against it?

serenitymoonwave
06-11-2013, 04:57 PM
I have seven tattoos. All on my arms/hands. I've got a blue lily on my upper arm/shoulder. I've got love tattooed across the top of my wrist. My grandpa's birthday, initials, and day of death on my forearm, a bass clef on my right hand with music written on the side, a treble clef on my left hand with passion written on the side, "I'm gonna love you through it" curling up my forearm, and an Aries symbol tattooed on my left forearm with my sons initials and my initials. I love my body art, and think they add to my personality as a mermaid.

Elle
06-11-2013, 05:12 PM
I have 4 tattoos; a red star on each hip bone, Chinese symbol for dragon on my lower back (my grandfather was Chinese, He and I were both born in the year of the Dragon. It was my first and very important to me) and I have a tribal heart on my lower shoulder blade. I'd love to get more but the red stars I got were the last or most recent (which ever way you want to look at it) were kind of because I thought it was cool rather than it meaning something for me. So I'd seriously have to consider it before I got more.
as for piercings, I have 2 in each lobe and a rook piercing on the left ear. I used to have a lot more than that but they've come out over time and now there a little bits of scar tissue in my ears

Taniira
06-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Harmony, I would love to get a cute little nose stud, but with my experience with piercings I'm not willing to risk it. Now that you mention it, maybe my normal lobes finally accepted because I did gauge them. Not much -- only to like a 12 or 14 IIRC -- but it might've helped. It's something to keep in mind if I try second holes again!

With my navel, the skin in front of the piercing just died I guess (it formed a scab) and the skin behind the jewelry healed itself and pushed the barbell out every time I tried. I kept having piercers tell me it just wasn't done deep enough previously, but it kept happening so I knew it wasn't that. I have a star shaped scar above my belly button from it -- it's actually kind of cute.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Yay for cute scars! Boo for body rejecting piercings. :<

maimerd
06-14-2013, 06:28 PM
I have a tattoo of piano keys along my left side, from hip to armpit and a full sleeve in the works on my upper left arm of the current animation of "My Little Pony; Friendship Is Magic" by Lauren Faust. I've always been a fan of My Little Pony. I am a bit worried on how this will effect my mermaiding, but I'm not too worried as I think I've made up a solid back story for my mermaiding life. It still makes me a bit self-concious that I have these tattoos, and I'm in the works of getting more, all over my body that are easily seen, but I figure anyone will accept my backstory for my mermaid persona, especially children.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Ooo that's cool! I love how everyone has so many wonderful ways around their tattoos! I was so worried, and now I'm not! ^_^

Mermaid Varshana
06-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Omg, another brony? Yay!

Nashoba
06-15-2013, 01:15 AM
Kalani wanted to see pics of my tattoos that were Native / Earth / healing related. The first one of the hamsa hands isn't the best, but here it is.

Positioning of the hamsas.

A close up of a hamsa

My backpiece - the medicine wheel is now filled in with color. This pic is good, but a little old.
On the low back is a crescent moon surrounded by smoke and stars.

There you go! I've also got one on my right ankle and one on the top of my left foot, but those won't show while mermaiding.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-15-2013, 08:15 AM
(( Kailani** >< Sorry, there's two of us KAlani and KAIlani. Confusing... @.@ ))

Oh wow!!!

Those look amazing. I'd love to see the medicine wheel up to date. Those can totally tie into a mersona! <3

maimerd
06-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Omg, another brony? Yay!

Well not really, since brony's are males at least from my understanding, but I guess you could call me a brony if it came down to it. I've just been a huge fan of Lauren Fausts work since "Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends" and a MLP fan since I was a small child. I'm planning on getting a lot of "The Little Mermaid" work done. I can't wait to show you all my King Triton when I get him done at the end of this November!

Brooke
07-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Nice..I want just add here that. My friend diagnose a skin disease by doctors few days ago. The reason is tools were not good enough to make tattoo on her back. So, I just want to say that make it sure everything is okay before any tool touch your body.

Are you looking for real fashion (http://www.stokesthompson.com.au/)

Mary Marine
07-24-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't have any tattoos or piercings, not even my ears! For a very long time I was phobic of needles and have only recently been getting over that, though I see need to look away and listen to angry german metal on my iPod when I have to get blood drawn. I might get my ears pierced at some point, but I'm thinking more and more on getting a tattoo. I have a few ideas, but I'm not committed to a design enough to get one. I would have to REALLY like it to overcome my needle aversion!

To people getting scales, if you don't get them colored you can use water proof paints or make up to make them match your tail. My friend has a large paisley pattern chest tattoo that's just the outline, no color. Every so often we get out the colored Sharpie collection and fill it in. It lasts pretty well until the next shower, when it fades a quite a bit. Unless you want the faint, faded color look, I would recommend waterproof paint or make up, not markers, to color in the scale tattoo.

angelstarfish
07-26-2013, 12:10 AM
I have my ears pierced once, but that's all I'm going to do... I'm afraid I'm a bit of a wuss whenever it comes to pain...

Miyu
07-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Hugnation logo:
Abney Park tattoo, photo by Captain Robert himself!
Heart of Dance from the Beats Antique music video "Revival":
(My "sister" has the same tattoo, it was her idea that we get them. She's always been a dancer; getting this tattoo really helped me be able to dance better)

I also have my bf's "signature" symbol of the back of my neck.

I have pierced ears, the "regular" holes stretched to 00 with steel tunnels, and a second regular lobe piercing above that. I used to have my tongue and labret pierced; took those out because my teeth are going bad and I was chewing on the jewelry. Had an eyebrow pierced, lost the ball to that (fell off after a long time of not being able to get it off). Had "the girls" pierced but had to take those out because of reasons.

I'm a steampunk airship pirate mermaid, that's how my tattoos fit into my mersona :)

MermaidLychee
07-28-2013, 06:26 AM
I have a pair of honeybees on my hipbones, specifically placed so they weren't visible unless I wanted them to be. They have a deep meaning to me, and they'll be hidden when tailed. :P

As for piercings, I have two on each lobe, a cartilage, my belly button and my 'girls'. My bellybutton would probably stay in for mermaiding just for aesthetic purposes. all the others, I suppose it depends what I'm doing. I'm looking into octopus and starfish cuffs for my cartilage, but otherwise, it's ring free for ease of swimming. Salt water is great for piercings, it solved both my belly button, cartilage and the issues with my 'girls'. TMI both my belly button and cartilage were keloiding and having issues, but then I went swimming in the ocean, and the very next day, they'd drained and were liquid free. My 'girls' were simply irritated and bothered by my work (lots of lifting and arm movement while trying to find which bra worked best, as well as sweating sue to three layers of clothes on, etc). An ocean swim and I haven't felt them since. I suppose that this isn't the most sanitary way to clean them (the ocean is dark and full of terrors!) but I live in particularly clean water, so your milage may very.

Anahita
08-01-2013, 01:38 AM
I have a tatt, and a nose piercing in addition to the standard fare of pierced ears.

My tattoo is kind of funny, just because everyone forgets I have it (it's not particularly small, but where it's situated and the fact that it was kind of done on a whim just to help a friend out when he wanted to become a tattoo artist kind of makes everyone forget about it - myself included sometimes!)

The nose piercing is another thing that, while not forgotten by people no one actually actively notices. I guess because I'm "ethnic" it just sort of fits the bill and it really fits my face like I should have been born with it. As long as it's a stud, even the HUGE glittering diamond I usually wear, no one pays any heed. When it's an "ethnic" one, then people kind of pay attention, but that's usually because it's so dangly.

I'm hoping to mount one of the black or gold pearls I've collected on a nose screw and use it for my mermaid outfits. I'm just a little concerned for when it comes to chlorinated water.

Merman Dan
08-01-2013, 10:47 AM
I started getting a "birthday tattoo" each year when I turned 45. I started with a weedy seadragon as a symbol of fatherhood. The next year I added a giant pacific octopus as a symbol of motherhood. Last year I started a sargassum seaweed sleeve, loaded with lots of critters, as a symbol of children. I'm four sessions in, on my sleeve, with maybe two or three to go. This year I will add a two-headed dragon moray eel, an amphisbaena, in between the seadragon and octopus as a symbol of marriage.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6097/6363607585_ee412ce758_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5448/8878157579_57c7451fc5_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3714/8829035076_f410fd8d55_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7282/8737239718_a269e45202_o.png

Aziara
08-05-2013, 09:37 AM
I really want to get a wedding ring tattoo... now just to convince my husband. It's just in my head that 'marriage=forever' and 'tattoo=forever', so I figure 'marriage=tattoo'. Sort of a concrete statement of how serious I am about the relationship.

Mermaid Oshun
08-05-2013, 10:36 AM
I personally dislike tattoos but I did have my belly button pierced.

Mermaid Varshana
08-05-2013, 05:35 PM
I have 1 tattoo, and it's huge.

http://www.resizr.com/resized/af49.jpg

Mermaid Veruliya
08-05-2013, 05:56 PM
I love tattoos. I've talked to a watercolor tattoo (realism) specialist in Richmond about getting her to do mermaid scales on my inner ankle, to represent probably the one thing that's ever been constant in my life, but considering she's booked up and charges over 100 an hour, it's definitely in the back of my mind. I also wanted something on my right ribs just for aesthetic reasons, maybe a white ink feather, not the top of my priority.. And I want the same watercolor realist artist to do two light pink peonies on the inside of my left forearm, with a more personal meaning.

I always loved angel wing tattoos, but I don't have any connection to angels or anything like that, so I would never get such a big tattoo with now meaning. I also wanted to get something symmetrical on the back my neck or inbetween my shoulder blades, but I don't think I ever will, because I really like the way my naked back looks and there's nothing I want to cover up.

Merman Dan
08-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I always loved angel wing tattoos, but I don't have any connection to angels or anything like that, so I would never get such a big tattoo with now meaning.

You could always go with flying fish "wings"/fins. In my undersea game there was once a half-nereid who sprouted wings that resembled purple sea fans.

http://aquaviews.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Coral-Identification-Types-of-Coral-Sea-Fan.jpg

Mermaid Veruliya
08-05-2013, 07:17 PM
That's a good idea! But I still don't find it aesthetically pleasing. I really like the look of my bare back and i don't want to cover it

Merman Dan
08-05-2013, 08:13 PM
If I ever had something put on my back, I would want something like the drawing Tony DiTerlizzi posted on Facebook, a few weeks ago:

http://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/994198_482361878516159_755476654_n.jpg

Mermaid Veruliya
08-05-2013, 08:26 PM
That's sick!

fawkes
08-08-2013, 04:02 PM
I have a ton of tattoos.
It usually doesn't get pointed out, but when it does, I just tell kids that "I got them from the pirates. After all I'm mermaid, we hang all the time!" :)
They seem to like this answer.

They seem to point out tail stitching visibility more than the tats though. Grrrr *brainstorms on how to cover up stitching on fluke*

...e6000 and paint. surely this will work. :crazy:

Merman Dan
08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Grrrr *brainstorms on how to cover up stitching on fluke*

Tell them it's a scar from a fisherman's net/boat propeller/megalodon? ;)

indigo mermaid
08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
When I want to cover my body art, I use Dermablend. It's waterproof. To get it off, I use olive oil in the shower and scrub. It takes several layers to fully cover tats so start early. It drys several shades darker and is best to apply with a sponge. There's a little bit of transfer on clothing that happens, but it doesn't rub it off.

Rogue Siren
12-01-2013, 10:06 AM
I personally don't like piercings but tattoos are fine. XD

In fact I have ideas for two (don't have any tattoos or piercings atm). And oddly enough, they work for the tail design I came up with. :) Don't have any designs for them yet, just basic ideas. I would like an ouroboros around my upper right arm and then another tattoo spelling out Loki/Mischeif over my left ribs.

SeaGlass Siren
12-18-2013, 08:06 PM
and here is mine!!16461

bitterfish
12-23-2013, 10:35 AM
This is an old photo of it(the day after I got it!) but here's my only tattoo. It's on my shoulder, so the only time people see it is when I'm swimming!

Oceana
01-04-2014, 01:04 AM
I have a medium sized patch of scales on my hip that is not visible unless I am in undergarments, so it doesn't affect my job at all. It would have been larger and more visible, but the career path I have chosen doesn't allow for them very much when you're starting out.

Mermaidmechanic
01-04-2014, 02:59 AM
I'm stoked to be getting my giant benu bird on my back finished soon. Being in the coast guard is a great profession for those of us who like ink. Sea going services are very lenient with rules since tattoos have been closely tied in with sailor tradition.

Miyu
01-18-2014, 05:29 AM
My mertender will be doing some tattoo work on a fellow mer very soon, so we ordered plenty of needles... Which means I finally get another tattoo! WOOHOO!

Of course, I wanted it to be mer-related, and I especially wanted to incorporate some of the qualities I attribute to mermaids... To sort of help me take on those qualities myself.
I decided on scales (not original, I know), but they're going to have a twist. I should be getting it in the next couple of weeks (basically after my sniffles go away so I don't run the risk of infection). I'm trying to give it plenty of time to heal up before the local meet-up in March :P

Morticia Mermaid
01-18-2014, 05:43 AM
That fellow mer being me. Can't wait for the new (and much needed) ink. Tattoos are a sort of stress relief for me. Plus I sort of love the feel of getting them (that's about as far as I'll explain that. Kinda reaches into an area not safe for little mer ears).

Miyu- is it the twist you and I talked about when you were here? Also, does your tender do piercings too? Mom and I were curious

Mermaid Nerinae
01-18-2014, 06:15 AM
I can relate to you, Morticia. I LOVE the feeling of getting tattoos. I get euphoric, even. Plus, there's something about the scent of the ink while a person is getting a tattoo that just sends a thrill of excitement through me! :D Of course, I have to wait for my little merling before I can add any more ink to my sleeve. :(

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Miyu
01-18-2014, 07:03 AM
Morticia, yes it is! we're adding a few special touches, but for now that twist is our secret ;)

Also, yes, he does piercings as well.

Mermaid Adriel
01-18-2014, 04:23 PM

This little butterfly on my shoulder :)
And I'd like to make scales on my leg when I'll graduate X3

Morticia Mermaid
01-25-2014, 10:25 AM
YAY!!!!! It's tattoo day!!! Can't wait for later today :D Got my tattoo all drawn up, trying to decide if I want to add a few "air bubbles" to it.

Merman Dan
01-25-2014, 10:37 AM
My tattoo artist is nearly ready to return from maternity leave. She is opening her own parlor, nearby. I am itching for some ink!

Morticia Mermaid
01-25-2014, 10:42 AM
I've been itching for some ink so glad I met Miyu, and that she lives nearby. Hey guy does some AMAZING work. I'll make sure to share a picture when my work is done

SIF
01-25-2014, 11:30 AM
I've been itching for some ink so glad I met Miyu, and that she lives nearby. Hey guy does some AMAZING work. I'll make sure to share a picture when my work is done

Miyu is an ink artist? Or did I read that wrong?

Morticia Mermaid
01-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Nope. Hey mertender does :) He did the chest piece Miyu has

Miyu
01-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Haha nope, I am not a tattoo artist, but my mertender is! And he's really good at it, too :P I'll have a couple more pieces from him to show off soon as well! One mer, and one Doctor Who heehee :D

Morticia Mermaid
01-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Woohoo! All done! Simple but so meaningful. As someone who suffers from severe depression and suicidal thoughts, this is my personal reminder to just breathe :)

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Mermaid Nerinae
01-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Cute and simple. :)

DonPlease
02-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Hi!

I'm looking forward to getting a new tattoo on my body - a seahorse. The main reason I want to get it is because I can related to the meaning of (http://www.tattooneed.com/sweet-seahorse-tattoo-meanings-symbols/) seahorse tattoo. A seahorse (altough a small creature) has a lot of courage, confidence (like me), patience and it's kinda friendly (like me, even on the internet).

Can anyone give me more advice about it? Does someone else have a seahorse tattoo? What about the placement idea? What about some designs I could use for it? I'm kinda new to this tattoo world, but very curios to have my first tattoo.

I've been searching a little and it seems a member here - @Merman Dan has a seahorse tattoo (or posted a image of a seahorse - or it seems it's a seahorse).

Merman Dan
02-11-2014, 02:40 PM
It's a weedy seadragon, larger cousin to the seahorse. :) I also have a seahorse in my sargassum seaweed sleeve.

For me, the seahorse is a symbol of fatherhood. As I have seven children and call myself "papa seahorse", it seemed spot on.

DonPlease
02-11-2014, 03:11 PM
It's a weedy seadragon, larger cousin to the seahorse. :) I also have a seahorse in my sargassum seaweed sleeve.

For me, the seahorse is a symbol of fatherhood. As I have seven children and call myself "papa seahorse", it seemed spot on.

Thanks for the idea and for the fast reply. Really awesome.

MysticMerman
02-11-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm thinking about getting some gill slits on my ribs... Any opinions?

Mermaid Nerinae
02-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Sounds cool, Mystic. Lol just be ready, since the ribs and especially up near the chest/ribs/armpit area is pretty tender to tattoos~

Mermaid Kalliope
02-12-2014, 11:05 PM
I want to get a bunch more, but with acting... I gotta be careful. :-/ If I have too many that will show they don't want to deal with it. Later on in my career, that's fine. It's easier for the big time movies to edit them out. :-)

Mermaid Romy
02-23-2014, 04:43 PM
I have a jellyfish on my shoulder [which will soon have an octopus and another sea creature soon so I'll have a cluster on my shoulder]. I'm planning on telling kids they're imprints left by my favourite sea friends. I'm also planning something for my inner left arm. If there are people who don't want tattoos on a mermaid I'm also making a silicone starfish I can stick on my arm and a top with plenty of netting and seaweed for my shoulder/back C:

Mary Marine
02-23-2014, 07:38 PM
It occurs to me that if humans can get tattoos of fantasy creatures like mermaids and dragons, then why couldn't a mermaid get a tattoo of a "mythical" land animal like a wolf or horse? Maybe mermaids think human style tattoos are really trendy and exotic, like how white people get kanji tattoos?

Lyretail
02-23-2014, 07:52 PM
It occurs to me that if humans can get tattoos of fantasy creatures like mermaids and dragons, then why couldn't a mermaid get a tattoo of a "mythical" land animal like a wolf or horse?

Yes. Your logic is sound and I couldn't agree more.
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/22/seal-of-approval.jpg

DonPlease
02-26-2014, 03:53 PM
I have a jellyfish on my shoulder [which will soon have an octopus and another sea creature soon so I'll have a cluster on my shoulder]. I'm planning on telling kids they're imprints left by my favourite sea friends. I'm also planning something for my inner left arm. If there are people who don't want tattoos on a mermaid I'm also making a silicone starfish I can stick on my arm and a top with plenty of netting and seaweed for my shoulder/back C:

Cool tattoo. Any pics? :$

EnidDarkWater
02-28-2014, 12:13 AM
I have tattoos that are not exactly something that you would expect on a mermaid. Quite honestly they aren't every ones cup of tea either but I have never had any issues with them while working parties or event. 90 percent of the time the kids don't bother to notice anything past the fact I have a tail. When they do I usually just tell them that pirate friends did them so I could remember a story. It won't let me up load the photo but I have half a back with crumbling lovers a giant dead tree that wraps around my ribs down to a cemetery with a dragon hidden in it. I also have an ankle tattoo but invisible in tail doesn't matter much

Miyu
02-28-2014, 01:15 AM
Heehee, I like that train of thought, Mary Marine!

Miyu
02-28-2014, 01:17 AM
EnidDarkWater; I *totally* want to see that tattoo! :D

Mermaid Romy
02-28-2014, 01:25 AM
Cool tattoo. Any pics? :$

She's just a little one. Designed by my friend Lilly and tattooed at Idle Hands in Preston England. Lilly cried when I told her I'd got it, she was so happy someone would get a tattoo of her art. It's my little mark to remember her beautiful face and kind heart by.

DonPlease
03-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Awesome!
Really like it.

Mermaid Sirenia
03-02-2014, 07:11 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/03/8utu5ave.jpg I just got this two weeks ago! The color is MUCH more vibrant now that it's peeled and is healing over! I'm thinking of giving him a name haha

~Mermaid Sirenia~

Mermaid Romy
03-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Awesome!
Really like it.

Thank you C:

Miyu
03-18-2014, 06:24 PM
OH MY GUSH Savannah that's so beautiful! I love the style you chose! And those adorable spots, ermahgerd...

Mermaid Sirenia
03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks Miyu! The spots was just my artist being creative, he wanted to include my freckles somehow :) I'm so happy with it!

~Mermaid Sirenia~

Merman Dan
03-18-2014, 09:38 PM
...I'm thinking of giving him a name haha

They do tend to have personalities. :) My GPO is Aurora (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7502647/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/aging-octopus-finally-mom/), named for the very inspiration behind the design. My weedy seadragon is Chester... he is on my chest after all. My mermaid is Emana, a combination of my two youngest daughters' names. The critters on my sargassum sleeve.. well, I'm sure they'll chime in before long.

Mermaid Zaffiro
06-19-2014, 05:03 PM
I can relate to all you! I love tattoes! I watch in tv some tv show. But I can't have a tatto for my fibromialgya.

Sent from my shellPad with Tapatalk

Mermaid Sirenia
06-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Update pic now that it's healed! I totally forgot to post it haha!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/21/umyqybab.jpg

~Mermaid Sirenia~

SeaGlass Siren
06-21-2014, 09:12 PM
that looks so awesome!!

Fun123joker
06-22-2014, 06:47 PM
mermaids are famous for being engraved in peoples skin
this is my favorite mermaid tattoo

Dallas
07-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I have several tattoos. I have a carousel horse, a zombie kitten and a desd doe under a banner dedicated to my son on one arm. I have two rows of script, Quenya and binary code, on my wrist. A t - Rex on my shoulder blade and a rose on the back of my hip. So far, the only complaints I've had about them are from my boss. I want more, I have two half sleeves and a rib piece on the drawing board at the moment, and I'm SURE I won't stop there.

Mermaid Sirenia
07-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Starting my first sleeve tattoo this coming January! I'm waiting til then so I have more time to save up for it. It's going to be a nautical themed sleeve

~Mermaid Sirenia~

Raayvhen
07-04-2014, 01:09 PM
I don't have any tattoos. Piercings are more my thing. I've got my navel, left tragus, orbitals on both lobes, and then regular lobe piercings.

Sherielle
09-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I can't see why that octopus is screwed up. I think it looks so cool.

Incendium
09-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks lovely. I'm probably just being overcritical ;)

I deleted the post because I used the wrong pictures SO I'm attaching them to this reply. Whoops lol.

My shark and janky octopus ;;

SeaGlass Siren
09-10-2014, 10:44 AM
whats so janky about the octopus?? it looks amazing o-o

Incendium
09-10-2014, 10:50 AM
I think what bothers me the most is the blue rings, they look wonky -- especially the ones in a figure eight/infinity sign shape. Again though, I'm probably just being overcritical of myself. :lol: I'm going to expand on it anyway, I just have no idea how yet. :$

SeaGlass Siren
09-10-2014, 11:00 AM
well you could make the legs a little longer :o other than that it looks amazing already!

Genevieve
09-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Awesome octo. I just thought the blue infinities were two rings close together on his arms. He's reaching up with one arm; maybe he's reaching for some delicious fishes?

Seatan
09-27-2014, 02:07 PM
I love this tattoo! I haven't gotten a tat in ages And I would love an octo!

SeaGlass Siren
10-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm thinking of getting a second one. Not sure what to get though..

Mermaid Sirenia
10-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Scheduling an appointment to get my second tatt in january[emoji16] it's also going to be the first part of my first sleeve!!(I plan on getting sleeves on both arms)
Anyways this sleeve is going to be victorian themed, and the piece I'm getting will be a shoulder piece that goes across my chest, and it's inspired by phantom of the opera!

~Mermaid Sirenia~

Miyu
10-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Oooh Sirenia, a PotO-inspired piece?!? I've got one I'm going to get as well! I'm pretty much waiting for my first swim in-tail to get any more tats, as it takes ~6 weeks to heal before I can go swimming, so I don't want to get more ink until after I get at least one good swim in this year!

Can I ask what it's going to look like? I'm always super-intrigued by PotO tattoos, since there's not many out there :3

Mermaid Nessie
10-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Personally I've always been really intrigued by tattoos, and having two myself I find them very much an artistic way of expression. They are all part of a mermaid's image and individuality.

Mermaid Sirenia
10-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Oooh Sirenia, a PotO-inspired piece?!? I've got one I'm going to get as well! I'm pretty much waiting for my first swim in-tail to get any more tats, as it takes ~6 weeks to heal before I can go swimming, so I don't want to get more ink until after I get at least one good swim in this year!

Can I ask what it's going to look like? I'm always super-intrigued by PotO tattoos, since there's not many out there :3

So this is sort of what it will look like, except I will be changing it up a bit (I'm not a fan of having other people's tattoos lol) the roses will be a bit different and I'll be adding black lace, considering the background (?) of my sleeve will be black lace and red roses :)http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/07/391f7789ed0b77205194bc27de41757c.jpg

~Mermaid Sirenia~

Mermaid Sirenia
10-07-2014, 09:21 PM
I hope that showed up alright lol

~Mermaid Sirenia~

SeaGlass Siren
11-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Erik!!! Phantom!!!

Eeep!

Miyu
11-28-2014, 12:28 AM
OOoOH, that's going to be awesome!!! I'm actually getting ready to re-read PotO (...as I sit here playing with my chandelier bead from the Bway production, muwahahaha). I'd love to see the black lace with something like that, I LOVE lace tattoos, they look so beautiful :)

Merman Arion
11-29-2014, 02:55 PM
I'm also going to get a tattoo soon. It will be my first and I'm terrified but I'm also very excited :)

Mermaid Harmony
11-29-2014, 03:17 PM
I can't wait to someday to my sleeve, but for now because I don't want to lose any gigs I'm gonna keep it below the hips, which means hopefully in the next two years I'll get my other foot done, and my thigh piece. We'll see, I've got nothing but time :-)

mermaids-and-anchors
11-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Oh gosh... Let's see... I have 2 nipple piercings, 2 nose rings (left nostril), tragus (right ear), 2 lobes (one on each side of my ear), my bellybutton, labret - my favorite, and 2 anti eyebrows under my right eye (dermal anchors). As far as tattoos I have Bambi on my wrist, I have "I Fight Like A Girl" on my waist - dedication tattoo for Emilie Autumn, I have Albert Einstein and his signature on the back of my right leg, I have the Master Ball (pokemon) behind my left ear and the Great Ball (pokemon) behind my right ear. I haven't had any problems with anyone about my piercings or tattoos. It's not a big deal because I can hide my tattoos, a big bracelet can easily hide my Bambi tattoo and "I Fight Like A Girl" on my waist is hidden from my tail, it goes right above the tattoo! As far as piercings... I can take them out EXCEPT for my anti eyebrows. Those will never be able to come out unless surgically removed (and I don't mean getting knocked out at a hospital and doing actual surgery, I just mean they have to cut it out and it will leave scars.)
I plan to get so many tattoos in the future and maybe a few more piercings but I'm not too worried about how it will effect my work because I mainly want to go into that "horror" mermaid kind of scene, like being in tanks at like raves, events, and be that scary mermaid. But right now I'm keeping my tattoos and piercings a bit on the down low because I have to start from what's best to get my name known and that's doing children parties.(:

Miyu
11-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Arion - congrats!~ How awesome! What are you getting, and where? I WANNA KNOW... Depending on where you get it, it doesn't hurt too bad - I have the most ridiculously thin skin, and my first kind of tickled! I got it on my forearm, which is a pretty easy place to get one (I didn't know that, I just knew where I wanted the tat to be). The one on the base of my neck actually felt "really good", if you get what I'm saying ;) The one on my shoulder, well, it got a tiny bit messed up (barely noticeable and easily fixed) because my arm would randomly twitch even though it didn't hurt. The one on my chest kind of felt like an itchy, burny sunburn in certain areas (mostly on top of my collarbone).

Mermaids-and-Anchors: yaaaay for fellow "horror"-style mers! :highfive: Your tats sound awesome!!! And the anti-eyebrows just seem so mermaid-y when in costume anyways :D If my skin wasn't such a pain (still recovering from cystic acne), I'd totally have them - I've always thought they were so cool-looking!
I'd love to do the same types of gigs, especially the whole rave mermaid tank thing (ugh I am getting so old I love raves still though). I am relatively uncomfortable with children, so the most work I really want to do is with underprivileged children (especially foster kids), so I'm not too worried about my piercings and tats (and lack of hair) - besides, my tattoos seem to be kid-approved (bright colours and steampunk yay).

MerShasha
12-20-2014, 03:40 PM
I have 3 tattoo's , on my left side of my belly 3 butterfly's (was my first tattoo ) on my right side the name of my minihorse (Quenya) with roses and on my right lower arm the paws of my dog :-) 26057

Miyu
12-21-2014, 12:48 AM
Beautiful work! I adore the roses, and love your horse's name ;) Love the puppy prints!

MerShasha
12-21-2014, 05:25 AM
Thx :-D i'm verry happy with my tattoo's , i just want another rose under the name of my horsie :-) .

Mermaid Kelda
12-22-2014, 06:54 PM
I've posted elsewhere about my tattoo but I didn't include an image because it wasn't mermaid themed.
Here it is!

http://i.imgur.com/VQCmbVn.jpg

She's a mörksugga, which means dark sow in Norwegian/Swedish (as far as I'm aware ;D)
My mother used to keep a few in cupboards and wardrobes; their tails wrap round shelves and keep them upright.

http://i.imgur.com/Eu23UK3.jpg

I think she was used as a story to make children behave, something about having a fondness for darkness and eating children who stayed out too late. But the way my mother described her was that, like most of nature, she wasn't really interested in human desire to label things as "good" or "evil"; having her on your side, however, would keep you safe from things that were evil. Since she's traditionally a creature of the dark (you keep her in dark places) I put her on the back of my neck, as I usually have my hair down and it seemed appropriate :) I'm not superstitious but I always liked the story, and it's part of my heritage<3

Like many creatures from Nordic folk-tales, she's also rarely seen, so I don't make a point of showing her to anyone unless they catch a glimpse of her ;)

Miyu
12-23-2014, 12:49 AM
Awww, that's so neat Melaina!!!

Vrindavana Starfish
12-23-2014, 11:34 AM
That is so cool.

Mermaid Sirenia
12-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Getting some new tattoos soon, so excited!

Miyu
12-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Same here, new tats soon! :dance::yay:

Morticia Mermaid
12-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Same! Hoping to get started on my giant back piece next month!

Mermaid Sirenia
12-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Starting my sleeve quite soon! Getting the first piece (on my shoulder) within the next two weeks

Simone
01-19-2015, 04:00 AM
I have tattoos on my back of F-holes like on cellos so that my body looks like a human violin. When I started thinking about getting a tail I was concerned that it would look weird and if I should try to hide them but I just had my first swim in my new tail and it looks kind of cool. I'm not sure what I'd say to children if they brought it up though. You can kind of see my tattoos in this photo from above water. 26701

Miyu
01-19-2015, 06:05 AM
Oooh, I think that's lovely! :swoon:

Sherielle
01-19-2015, 10:14 AM
I want a new tattoo so bad. I want one that looks like a watercolor painting. My only problem is finding a spot that won't need too much (or any coverup) if I have to do a gig. I've been contemplating my shoulder blade as a spot.

Seraphina Suds
01-19-2015, 11:23 AM
I have tattoos on my back of F-holes like on cellos so that my body looks like a human violin. When I started thinking about getting a tail I was concerned that it would look weird and if I should try to hide them but I just had my first swim in my new tail and it looks kind of cool. I'm not sure what I'd say to children if they brought it up though. You can kind of see my tattoos in this photo from above water. 26701
I adore that! I've wanted fhole tattoos forever, but I don't have the body for it.

MermaidBrandie
01-22-2015, 06:44 PM
I've got a chest piece dedicated to my grandparents. I wanna get a half sleeve tattoo of song lyrics on both my arms.
Left arm: "is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailors? The voice might be one and the same."
Right arm: "there's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met" I want the left sleeve to be surrounded by water lily's and lotus flowers. Not sure about the right. And I also was scales on my hips/legs. Haha

I also have six ear piercings, both my nipples, and my belly button. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun123joker
01-22-2015, 09:49 PM
ok ok ok ok ok let me tell you a story

im 15 and my parents are really conservitive right. and the #1 thing they are agisnt are tattoos. like i might never get a tattoo because they will haunt me from the grave and curse me if i do.
i have 2 older sisters in colledge. they both called my parents before thanksgiving break. aparently my dad told both of them in a disappointing voice that i got a tattoo of a butterfly on my neck.
so im in my room playing tf2 and my mom knocks on the door. "oh btw we told your sisters you got a tattoo play along!"
so im like alright. continue with my game and i get a call on my phone
its my oldest sister, more responsible and such. i pick it up and she starts yelling at me using my whole name and talking really fast.
I JUST WANTED TO PLAY MY GAME. so after that call i continue to play my game then i get a second call
its my older sister. she is more loose and relaxed. she calls and she actually asked me important questions like where i got it and how i got the money to pay for it and who took me. im alittle hestitant because its harder to lie to that sister then the other, plus her roommate is in to tattoos and they're both disapointed that i got a butterfly.
after the call even said roomate messaged me on tumblr (we follow eachother) if i actually got a tattoo and how my sister is freaking out. i couldnt trust anybody so i told her i got a tattoo also.
they all ask for pictures.
this is where the hard art comes cuz remeber the roomate can probably reconized tattoos but im good with body paint

i tried making the picture as blurry as posible. i even scrape andd scratch myself alittle to make it red so it looked like i just got it (i dont support self harm but the things i do for my parent's prank)
i got alittle mad at my parents for saying it was on the neck cuz that would hurt real bad so i keep on telling them things lie "say i was put under and say this and that" when the pictures were posted my sisters went ballistic.

ok so fast forward to when they come home. it took them alittle time to notice "wait didnt she get a tattoo" they both freakd out (oldest waited for my parents to leave the room so she can describe her experience with foul language) they both said how they thought it was real because they way my parents said it wasnt "hee hee he joker got a tattoo" but they sounded disappointed"

i have reaction videos i can post them if you want

Mermaid Romy
01-22-2015, 10:30 PM
ok ok ok ok ok let me tell you a story

im 15 and my parents are really conservitive right. and the #1 thing they are agisnt are tattoos. like i might never get a tattoo because they will haunt me from the grave and curse me if i do.
i have 2 older sisters in colledge. they both called my parents before thanksgiving break. aparently my dad told both of them in a disappointing voice that i got a tattoo of a butterfly on my neck.
so im in my room playing tf2 and my mom knocks on the door. "oh btw we told your sisters you got a tattoo play along!"
so im like alright. continue with my game and i get a call on my phone
its my oldest sister, more responsible and such. i pick it up and she starts yelling at me using my whole name and talking really fast.
I JUST WANTED TO PLAY MY GAME. so after that call i continue to play my game then i get a second call
its my older sister. she is more loose and relaxed. she calls and she actually asked me important questions like where i got it and how i got the money to pay for it and who took me. im alittle hestitant because its harder to lie to that sister then the other, plus her roommate is in to tattoos and they're both disapointed that i got a butterfly.
after the call even said roomate messaged me on tumblr (we follow eachother) if i actually got a tattoo and how my sister is freaking out. i couldnt trust anybody so i told her i got a tattoo also.
they all ask for pictures.
this is where the hard art comes cuz remeber the roomate can probably reconized tattoos but im good with body paint

i tried making the picture as blurry as posible. i even scrape andd scratch myself alittle to make it red so it looked like i just got it (i dont support self harm but the things i do for my parent's prank)
i got alittle mad at my parents for saying it was on the neck cuz that would hurt real bad so i keep on telling them things lie "say i was put under and say this and that" when the pictures were posted my sisters went ballistic.

ok so fast forward to when they come home. it took them alittle time to notice "wait didnt she get a tattoo" they both freakd out (oldest waited for my parents to leave the room so she can describe her experience with foul language) they both said how they thought it was real because they way my parents said it wasnt "hee hee he joker got a tattoo" but they sounded disappointed"

i have reaction videos i can post them if you want
That is absolute magic and I can't breath I'm laughing so hard XD

Mermaid Sirenia
01-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Oh my god that's great! My parents are the exact opposite though, his quote he always likes to say is "a family that tattoos together stays together"

My dad is tatted up, half sleeves and a half chest piece. My mom has some tattoos but not a lot. They are planning for us all to get matching tattoos in the future too. They even let me get my first tattoo at 17! Though they told me to think about it for a while before getting it and make sure it has meaning. Which is how I got my octopus tattoo [emoji14] getting my next tattoo tomorrow which will be part one of my sleeve! A small part but yeah :) I'm 18 now just so you guys don't think I'm starting a sleeve underage lol

HOWEVER, my grandma is a very conservative southern baptist type woman, who HATES tattoos with a burning passion. She hates my tattoo the most because it's an octopus.
Grandma: *to my sister* let me see what you've done to yourself this time
Sister: holds out arm to show new tattoos
Grandma: ... Well I still love you... and at least it's flowers and not an OCTOPUS *looks over at me rolling her eyes*

...Ouch.. thanks grandma

Merman Dan
01-25-2015, 01:50 PM
Cephalopods rule! If I can stay out of the water long enough I want to add some baby octopodes for my giant pacific octopus tattoo.

Mermaid Sirenia
01-26-2015, 07:02 PM
In the process of having my tattoo done right now! It's almost done!

Mermaid Sirenia
01-26-2015, 08:58 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/26/9a2489594d970218cc52a8e1c9028a51.jpg the picture on the left is an awkward angle of it because my mom sucks at taking pictures lol, but I'll take better ones tomorrow:) super stoked!!

Mermaid Sirenia
01-26-2015, 08:59 PM
I'll be adding to it later since I'll be building it up to a sleeve, I've already talked to my artist about it:)

Mermaid Sirenia
01-27-2015, 02:50 PM
Updated picture from this morning, better angles of it lolhttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/27/4594471929a0af66f8c2efa72c6529b8.jpg

Morticia Mermaid
02-02-2015, 02:14 AM
Fingers crossed, I should be getting a new piece, or possibly 3, this weekend! Super excited. 2 will be my first non all black coloring. One is mainly white, purple and red

MerShasha
02-02-2015, 05:12 AM
28march i gonna get a rose more on my tattoo :-D

Morticia Mermaid
02-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Woo! I love it so far! Got a lot more sessions to do though until its done. Miyu- Don't forget to thank the man for me, again. Lol

Merman Dan
02-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Nice!! I want to start on a full back piece after a few more sessions on my sleeve and one chest piece.

Mermaid Kelda
02-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Holy shit yes! Morticia that looks amazing o_o is the whole thing going to be done in that colour?

Morticia Mermaid
02-11-2015, 05:50 PM
Yep. Mainly white with custom mixed lavender shading for line definition, and the eyes will be red :)

Mermaid Kelda
02-11-2015, 09:02 PM
It's beautiful<3 I love white tattoos to death. Super pretty and subtle :)

Miyu
04-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Got three new piercings in the past couple of weeks, more coming soon!

Bridge piercing + double vertical labrets :swoon:

MermaidAine
04-14-2015, 02:51 PM
I have many tattoos. Too many and too big to cover. I will be including them in my mersona, but the one that I really worry about is the mermaid on my right arm because she is topless. I live in Utah and some parents don't like children seeing a tattoo of a topless woman. Ah the shame of the human body! Anyway, with that one I may use glitter or something to give her a little top when I am dealing with children. Or maybe I will make an armband that would cover her breasts. The others I am not concerned about. I have starfish on my side, Mermaids on my lower back, a Mermaid on my leg, which of course will be covered, and a sleeve of flowers. I am planning toward getting scales tattood from the waist down.

Moana.the.mermaid
04-14-2015, 03:31 PM
I have a lot of ink. I've been a child care coordinator in the past and never had any issues with ink being exposed. Many parents of younger kids are more exposed and understanding of ink. 28968

much love, one love - Moana

Mermaid Sirenia
04-14-2015, 04:28 PM
I add to my arm tomorrow, yay!

Mermaid Kelda
04-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Awesome, Sirenia! What are you getting?

Merman Dan
04-14-2015, 10:06 PM
I got in for new ink tomorrow as well! :)

Mermaid Sirenia
04-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Just got mine done a few hours ago! My next appointment I'll be adding a stem to connect the roses, eventually it will be a vine of roses wrapping around my arm to create a full sleeve, with 2 or 3 pale blue butterflies for a pop of color :)http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/15/91f68a23dba2ffdffc47446937548ee4.jpg
By the way the roses will fade to the lighter color like the upper roses, it's fresh ink so it's always darker at first:)

Mermaid Persephone
08-02-2015, 12:42 PM
I love tattoos and piercings, so I'm pretty excited to share my own. Prepare for picture overload.

First picture shows my arm tattoos (left arm has kraken arms, just lines thus far, need to get more work done; right arm has a quote from GK Chesterton, "For the great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad, for all their wars are merry and all their songs are sad.")

Second is my left thigh tat (this picture is newer than the next one, but the next one shows several of my tattoos at once...)

Third picture shows both of my hips ("Curiouser and curiouser." Other side is a bayonet wrapped in barbed wire with "USMC" on a banner around it.) And at my ankle you can see a small hint of color that is my triforce tattoo. And, most importantly, my octopus, Sir Henry.

Fourth picture is my back piece WIP. The top butterfly is a starry night butterfly named Vincent. Below him is a blue mountain butterfly named Scarlet. Opposite her is a blue tiger moth named Scarab.

The last picture is to show off most of piercings. I have 15 total.

Merman Dan
08-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Outstanding!

I have plans for a full back piece based on an illustration by Tony DiTiterlizzi, who gave his blessing for my Spiderwick-inspired mermaid tattoo.

Here's one from the beach last summer:

Vela
08-02-2015, 02:03 PM
As of right now I have two tattoos. One on my left forearm and the other on my right shoulder. Both my tattoos have a match on another person. My bestfriend and I both got a bird with music notes and my little sister and I have a rune from a book series. (I cannot get pictures of the rune because it is in such a weird place)

I hope to have several more tattoos. I want mermaid scales on my thigh. I am also working on a half sleeve though I cannot decide just yet what I want. My bestfriend and I are also getting mermaid tattoos together (mermaids which she drew)! I love seeing everyone else's tattoos. They are really great. :)

Moana.the.mermaid
08-02-2015, 08:41 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/02/f42a2ccd7fb89f8e35f20bebca201c0b.jpg

Just got this outlined the other day! Color in a few weeks!

Only One of my 14 tats. :)

much love, one love - Moana

Calizaire
08-02-2015, 09:17 PM
I have 10 tattoos and I'm done. They're all old school sailor style so they kinda go with mermaiding; especially when I play pirate mermaid

Merman Dan
08-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Done? What is this "done"? ;) When I finish my sleeve I want a modification on my weedy seadragon, an addition to my octopus, a chest piece, a full back piece, and two tats on my legs.

Mermaid Persephone
08-02-2015, 10:24 PM
I think once my left arm and back are done, I may be finished with tattoos... or I'll have a ton of ideas for more.

Calizaire
08-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Done? What is this "done"? ;) When I finish my sleeve I want a modification on my weedy seadragon, an addition to my octopus, a chest piece, a full back piece, and two tats on my legs.

Ha! I work a very professional job and have run out of real estate. Also, I have a thing for symmetry. Most of my tattoos are in pairs and until I got my 10th a few months ago I felt lopsided. 10 feels juuuust right.

SeaGlass Siren
08-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I got a tiny white anchor tattoo over my heart. Aka my left BOOBIE.

IllynReaver
08-03-2015, 09:09 PM
I've got a couple tattoos haven't figured out what else I want. Excuse the crappy pic it's hard to get one by myself.

Madison MerFaerie
08-03-2015, 09:46 PM
I love tattoos and had always wanted one, but I only just got my first one May 2015 at the age of 28. I could never figure out what to get because I couldn't think of anything that I knew I'd love forever. Here's my first tattoo, in honor of my dad who we lost to cancer in February. He loved model planes and remote control planes. When he got sick he had to retire and he'd go to the park and fly planes every day. So I got an infinity symbol, incorporated a plane, and incorporated the last ECG that was taken at the hospital before he was sent home on hospice. It's super personal and I know that I'll never ever get tired of it. I'm holding my shoulder a bit high in this photo, but when I'm relaxed it looks level (not diagonal).

My next tattoo will be in the same place on the opposite shoulder and will be an anchor. He was an avid fisherman, and we used to spend so much family time on our boat fishing, tubing, and just hanging out. It's probably the reason that I love being around water so much!

MermaidBrandie
11-14-2015, 11:49 AM
How many here have nipple piercings? I'm thinking of getting mine re-pierced but I'm not sure if the same issues will crop up.
Issues being: i hate wearing bras and was constantly knocking them on things. Also the holes themselves constantly drained and it looked like the sides were...taking on the shape of the balls? Help? Advice? Is it worth it? I got frustrated and took them out after about a year...but I loved the look of them. (They did nothing for sensations, not for me).

(Sorry if this is random but this seemed like the right thread for it.)

SeaGlass Siren
11-14-2015, 12:15 PM
I recently got a white anchor tattoo over my heart.

MermaidBrandie
11-14-2015, 02:19 PM
I love white tattoos. Super subtle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SeaGlass Siren
11-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Yeah sometimes I forget I have it xD

AniaR
12-12-2015, 05:31 PM
I just got my "be water" touched up and this tattoo:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12376114_10156333108110425_5510688070942799430_n.j pg?oh=7a0ca822b07dc9951daba32eb9256c30&oe=56E2A57F

SeaGlass Siren
12-12-2015, 06:11 PM
I want like three more tattoos. Except I'm not supposed to be overly tattooed because of my job at Disney (le sigh) I mean as long as it's not visible it isn't a problem.

i still want a conch shell behind my ear , mermaid scales on my upper thigh, and a circle... But I don't know where to place said circle and I don't know how I want this circle

SeaGlass Siren
12-12-2015, 06:12 PM
Wait I lie I want 4 tattoos. I want a mermaid but I don't know the placement or what kind

Mermaid Lorelei
12-12-2015, 08:06 PM
I know of at least three tattoos I want so far, but I'll probably want more. :P
In no order:
A small seahorse, maybe just an inch or two in size, probably in white and most likely on the back of my neck or my ankle.
A bamboo shark in watercolors. No idea where yet, but possibly my thigh over an old scar.
A black and watercolor underbust of shells and sea life with thin 'chains' and drapes.

rivermermaid
12-13-2015, 05:14 AM
I have four piercings and an ear cuff. Teachers seem to have a big problem with the cuff...

I really want to get a troll cross tattoo below my collar bone and next to my shoulder, there is a small dip there.
For all who don't know what a troll cross is, here is the one I hang on my wall: 34627

They are from Scandinavia and are meant to be made from iron? and are meant to keep the trolls away. The one on my wall I made and is from coloured clay... My dad hasn't gotten is forge set up so I can't make a real one yet.

But I want it as a tattoo to keep my mental "trolls" away, I suffer from depression on and off so I think this would help me. Don't know why but yeah.

IllynReaver
12-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Never heard of the troll cross before, that's really neat!

RomanLaveau
12-15-2015, 01:51 AM
I have several tattoos, I have a Japanese Koi Fish side piece down my left side, I have a 3/4 sleeve of pin-up Disney princesses on my right arm, I have a day-of-the-dead Charmander on my hip bone, and a Kanji lettering tattoo that says "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we do" down my back. From what I have seen, it hasn't really affected gigs, people are still willing to hire me and the mermaids in our company with tattoos, and I am the one with the most tattoos in the company!

Vrindavana Starfish
12-15-2015, 01:52 PM
I love the troll cross! In Ireland and other Celtic countries, iron is used to keep the faeries away, specifically from stealing children and replacing them with changelings.

I have a sea star on the top of my left foot, 2 piercings in each ear, and a nose ring (nostril.) Considering a septum ring, and I have an idea for a 2nd tattoo that I'm not ready to share yet. It may be a white tattoo, but I think it'll be woad blue with white details.

Mermaid Meredith
01-03-2016, 07:12 PM
Okay I have to ask! I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered. What do you do or say when you're a mermaid with a tattoo of a mermaid?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Moana.the.mermaid
01-03-2016, 07:56 PM
I just say that it's my mom or, if I'mfeeling adventurous, I tell them it's a famous mer singer . People get portraits of other people all the time.

SeaGlass Siren
01-09-2016, 09:01 AM
I might be getting a couple tattoo with my husband.

he wants a Mickey and Minnie one ;-;

i might mermaidfy Minnie and sailorfy mickey

SeaGlass Siren
01-29-2016, 05:57 PM
my tattoo count literally went from 4 to about 8. because im quitting the disneystore.

fish scale tat- thigh/stomach
small pink watercolour circle tatt- behind my neck/back area
conch shell tatt- behind the ear
mermaid Minnie mouse tatt - part of a couple tattoo with the hubby
geometric/watercolour galaxy spiritanimal tattoos - theres like 4 of them.... (lion, fawn, horned owl, and blue whale)

Mermaid Meredith
01-29-2016, 07:22 PM
So I am planning on getting a mermaid tattoo and a moon in an art nouveau style. I'm looking for input on what colors to choose for the tail and the hair. I dont want it to look like ariel, as much as i love her, I want something different. Any ideas out there??

Mermaid Meredith
02-05-2016, 06:57 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/1737585dfc51749b2034c71eb0b10c12.jpg
I've been working on this tattoo I still have no idea what to do for color or if i should add more.

Meshy
02-06-2016, 12:29 AM
My Tattoo. Going to fill in her tail with scales on Friday the 12th.

Mermaid Meredith
02-06-2016, 06:12 AM
Very pretty! I like her a lot, what colors are you having done?

SeaGlass Siren
02-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Wahhhhh I love art nouveau mermaids!!

might I suggest "rose gold hair" and a red tail?

Mermaid Meredith
02-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Oooo that sounds like a pretty idea.. red would certainly pop against a blue background.

SeaGlass Siren
02-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Or a blue green purple tail (kinda like an aurora borealis) and silver hair? with little white spots for pearls

Mermaid Meredith
02-06-2016, 08:05 AM
I keep thinking either mint green or the yellow-orange for the hair. Im afraid to put the purple and green together for fear of too much ariel-ness. But i like the aurora borealis idea.

Mermaid Meredith
02-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Im so excited to finally be having the conversation!

Mermaid Meredith
02-06-2016, 08:09 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160206/6e96e2db41f3a1c6320d72c8ce74c9e1.jpg

Actually with it so dark like this i like it..

SeaGlass Siren
02-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Exactly like that!!

SeaGlass Siren
02-06-2016, 08:23 AM
The yellow orange for the hair and a watching tail would work too.
im thinking Megan massacres hair :P

Natacia Rothero
02-07-2016, 11:41 PM
The only problem with yellows in tattoos is when it fades it just gives the skin there a yellow tinge. Sorry just my thought

Sent from my SM-N9007 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Sirenia
02-08-2016, 05:00 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/08/5bb4987c0209c8c1e5205b0c4e4c57d6.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/08/2e912cb15fb886eccd620d5123e8c6cd.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/08/5cc146f9ad794c3e5adda1a4309430c2.jpg

Here's an update on all my tattoos so far😁 roses on my left arm (being built to a sleeve) SUPER bad pic of them but you get the idea! Sting on my right forearm, and an octopus on my back! (Old pic showing the octopus, but I haven't taken many photos of it)