PDA

View Full Version : Phobias - Support thread

Mermaid Kalliope
08-26-2011, 06:23 AM
I know that many, if not all of us, have fears, or phobias, of different things.

I want this thread to be an open and honest thread for mers who may have various phobias they would like to talk about and try to over come.

I'll start with saying some of my phobias:

Arachnophobia - Fear of spiders
Fear of falling
Fear of losing control
Fear of being alone
Fear of needles
Fear of being trapped

I think that's all.

I don't want to see anyone being made fun of for their fears. This is for support and getting things off your chest.

:)

AniaR
08-26-2011, 11:36 AM
I think I have a touch of fear of spiders, but I know why it developed from a really scary experience. I try not to be a dumb girl about it, but they really freak me out.

I have a very serious fear of death, I see a therapist it's a phobia brought on from a near death experience. I think about it every single day, and it causes panic attacks. It's hard to deal with because it's pretty irrational but it is what it is.

HBMermaid_Angela
08-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Nothing in this world scares me except for SPIDERS!! UGH!!!

merboy78xy
08-26-2011, 01:06 PM
ok... now this will DEFINITELY make some of you laugh, and it's funny even to me...
But I wake up in the middle of the night over this fear. It's new and it's silly, but I have a fear of Testical Torsion. It's when a guy litterally gets twisted up. it's extremely painful, and if not corrected soon enough could cause a loss of one or both! I swear that I have this new unreasonable fear of it for some reason, and I wake up with psycho-somatic pains cause I am worried about it. Isn't that WEIRD!?!?!
hehehehe

I also have a slight fear of really leggy things, like *shudder* house centipedes and daddy long legs. My sister used to chase me around with Daddy long legs. And even tho I know they're harmess, they still freak me out. I also STRONGLY dislike roaches... creep me out.
Otherwise, I'm pretty unconcerned with most things.
I have a mild new fear of Sharks because I watched a you-tube vid of an actual shark attack on a woman, and her cries for help still haunt me.
Also, before opening a new show, I usually have a nightmare about not being prepared.
I guess that's about it! :)

New York Mermaid
08-26-2011, 01:24 PM
My Major Phobias are:

*Waterbugs, Yeecchh, most bugs actually, (newest bug to add to that fear of bugs list is House centepiedes) They all freak me out. I dont like them, flying cockaroaches need to go away, I mean seriously.

*Needles is another phobia- and its really bad too. Mostly due to everything i've been through cause i've been in and out of the hospital in my 29 years of life.Add the endless tests i've had. I literally breakdown when I have to get any CBC's Or "bloodwork". who cares if im turning 30 in october, my brain goes into instant 5yr old when i see a Needle,whether its a bloodwork needle or an Intravenous (I.V).

*Falling. I cant explain this one, i think its from a trauma from when i was younger.

Also Im claustaphobic- this isint fun for me, i get anxiety from this.

taom
08-26-2011, 01:32 PM
I have an anxiety disorder. It used to be really bad, to where I couldn't be around people for an extended period of time because it would wig me out. I needed to feel like everything was in control and if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to handle it and melt down. Now, I have worked a good bit of it out. I chew my fingernails like crazy still, though and occasionally have to seclude myself.

I also have an irrational fear of male doctors. I don't like them touching me in any way.

Moonflower
08-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I've always been irrationally petrified of the light in the pool. Yeah, that's right, the friggin' light. in. the. pool. Pool lights, the giant ones that look like massive eyeballs PETRIFY me. It's a little better when they're on, because they look less like an eye, but I still won't go within 5 feet of them if I can help it while I'm swimming. When i go to a friend's house for the first time, I have to circle the pool to locate all the lights (if they are off) JUST IN CASE we go swimming or I accidentally fall in, I know where NOT to go while in the water. This fear sometimes extends to oddly-shaped pool drains and other pool mechanics. Ironically, though, the tiny sized light portals don't bother me much... Oh, and don't get me started on how much I hate those "rainbow" ones that change color. Pretty, yes. Fear-easing, NO.

Other phobias include cockroaches, large crowds, groups of "sheeple" (people who act like sheep and follow the herd rather than thinking and acting for themselves), and going to the post office/sending out mail. Yeah, I know that last one is super weird...

I have anxiety disorder, so a lot of little things trigger me, but those are my biggest ones...

Alveric
08-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Needles, no question. My wife has to hold my hand when I get a blood work done. Flying is another, I simply won't do it.

'Course now, thanks to Merboy, I have to add testicle torsion too.(Arrgh)

Alveric

Princess Kae-Leah
08-26-2011, 03:27 PM
This is partly because my parents raised me to be EXTREMELY cautious due to my health problems and disabilities when it came to physical activity of any kind, so I'm very much afraid of drowning in deep water. I like bath tubs, hot tubs, kiddie pools, etc., but I don't think I've ever been in the deep end of a pool or put my head underwater. When I was a kid, I enjoyed going in the pool as much as the next person, but I never actually swam, I'd just walk around the shallow end and play in inner tubes and I had this inflatable PVC hydro plane thingie that I'd sit on and kick my feet in the water. I always say me and water have a weird relationship, I LOVE sea creatures and the look of water and the beach, probably more so than most people, but I'd be reluctant to actually go much further out into the ocean than just dipping my toes in it.
Another thing I'm scared of electrical shock, I don't like being too close to power lines or wires of any kind if I can help it. This is due to as a child having this medical test done to me where to test my muscle reflexes they shocked me.

Mermaid Hamant
08-26-2011, 04:29 PM
I used to be extremely phobic about getting eaten by something (F.E. a snake, or a shark.) This is sometimes referred to as Phagophobia. (It can also mean the fear of eating, but I have never had that.) I am much better with it now though. :) It never seemed to affect me in the ocean, however. As soon as I jumped into the sea I felt safe, even though in theory I shouldn't have. lol
I also seem to have a fear of heights; if I climb too high (climbing a ropes course for example,) I tend to turn pale and start shaking uncontrollably.
Thanks for making this thread Kailani; I think it will help many people. :)

Winged Mermaid
08-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Phobias can be hard. I was told the definition of a phobia is when you fear something so much you go out of your way to avoid it, even to the extent of not doing things that you normally like doing. For people with anxiety, if you find yourself doing that it's better to try and face up to it with exposure to it before it turns into a phobia that could be crippling. The longer you humor it the worse it gets :/

For health reasons I also have a fear of death. Mostly from medical issues, but at this point it's not bad enough to keep me from doing things I normally would. I think it's a very human fear.

Phobia wise, for me it's bugs. Not just spiders, but bugs. I feel horrid killing them (sometimes I even get a jolt of pain doing so), but I'm too terrified to do anything but. But at least I can do it myself most times now (my way of facing up, haha) instead of running out screaming and having my hubby kill it for me :P

On that subject.. I did flip the heck out when I saw a tarantula in the laundry building here. Not cool. Several months later there was a 3-4 inch long beetle. That sucker but it did NOT want to die. I felt so bad I couldn't give it a quick death but it was still trying to crawl to me with one leg left after beating it with a broom O_o I even tried to raid it and it was still alive so I put a paper towel over it and had a little boy step on it. *shudder*

Mermaid Jewel
08-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I have a serious phobia of death. Here's the long explanation: Basically I was raised in a family with basically no religion. So I don't have a set belief in the afterlife. And it freaks me out, what will happen to me in the afterlife? Am I damned? Will there be nothing? It's not as if I'm unhealthy but I just have this fear. I also probably watch too much CSI and get freaked out sometimes in the middle of the night (lol).

Some other phobias: spiders (ugh), bees/wasps (UGH!), needles and/or blood (fainted after last time I got blood drawn...)

Mermaid Kalliope
08-28-2011, 04:52 AM
Seems like spiders and needles are a common one!

Mermaid Kalliope
09-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Any suggestions from other mers on getting over these phobias or dealing with them?

Lorelei
09-07-2011, 05:19 PM
I have major Arachnophobia :/ and I don't mind needles too much as long as they're in the side of my arm, if I need an IV or some needle in the inner elbow part of my arm I go into panic attack mode. I'm also afraid of dark water for some reason, I hate swimming at night unless there's a light on in the pool and someone's with me, i don't like water that is murky and I can't see much in because it makes me claustrophobic. I'm afraid to be eaten alive (part of the reason why I'm slightly afraid of sharks). And I think that's it :/
I'm not sure how to get over any of it really...But glad to know I'm not alone with this.

Mermaid Kalliope
09-08-2011, 03:54 PM
@Lorelei: Eep... Dark water. I'm the same way. When I go swimming with my friend at night she likes to cover the pool light, so I go and huddle over by her. >< I HATE swimming in the ocean when it starts to get dark. :<

kazekoh
09-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Needles are something I have great difficulty with.
I don't like winding roads or waterfalls either. I found this out in the summer ><;
Oh and other cars driving on the road with me. I just..stop driving. In the middle of the road. Yeah. xD

Edit- Oh and forgot to add teens. I don't deal with them very well (Even when I was a teen myself ) and most of them scare me. e___e;

Lorelei
09-08-2011, 07:58 PM
@Kailani (http://mernetwork.com/index/member.php?343-Kailani) ugh I would not be able to take that >.< My friends wanted to go in the lake at night when we were at camp. I couldn't do it, I hate dark water and not being able to see where I'm swimming :/

Mermaid Kalliope
09-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Lorelei, if you were closer we could work on conquering this fear together! There really isn't much to fear in dark water, but fear itself... But it still scares me!!!

Lorelei
09-12-2011, 12:53 AM
I wish we were closer. I might be going to UC Santa Barbara in 2 years, so I'd be closer if you're still going to be in so-cal :) And I know there's nothing to fear about it, I need to just figure out a way to convince myself that water in the daytime is no different than at nighttime lol. Someday I think I can conquer that fear.

Mermaid Kalliope
09-12-2011, 03:47 AM
I should still be here. I'm not planning on moving too soon! X3

happyguava
09-12-2011, 05:11 AM
Birds.

Oh my god, I can't even begin to explain. Haha, I have had to come home from picnics where there were magpies, run away from the beach when the seagulls get numerous... I had to sit out of a netball game once because there was a crow on the court :$

I was swooped a LOT of times as a kid (Australian magpies are freaking TERRIFYING!), got chased by a goose and snapped at by an emu.... Yep. It's a phobia now. Kinda embarrassing :P

Mermaid Kalliope
09-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Magpies are mean, and so are emus. X3

But 95% of the time you just have to tell yourself... I am bigger than them (Except the Emu... Just .. well, just run... FAST) and I can kick them in the face if I need to. Try chasing the seagulls away at the beach instead of running away. It will give you some more confidence perhaps that they aren't going to bother you.

-shrugs- Just my two cents. X3 Hope it helps a bit.

Alveric
09-12-2011, 10:46 AM
We used to have some vicious blue jays in our back yard. Even the cats were intimidated and refused to go out.

Alveric

Mermaid Hamant
09-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Sometimes talking with someone that has gone through the same things or had the same fears can help. :)

I have major Arachnophobia :/ and I don't mind needles too much as long as they're in the side of my arm, if I need an IV or some needle in the inner elbow part of my arm I go into panic attack mode. I'm also afraid of dark water for some reason, I hate swimming at night unless there's a light on in the pool and someone's with me, i don't like water that is murky and I can't see much in because it makes me claustrophobic. I'm afraid to be eaten alive (part of the reason why I'm slightly afraid of sharks). And I think that's it :/
I'm not sure how to get over any of it really...But glad to know I'm not alone with this.

Lorelei
09-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I should still be here. I'm not planning on moving too soon! X3
lol Good :) We'll plan it for two years from now then and we'll both go swim in an unlit pool at night.;) I gotta get over it evantually.

Sometimes talking with someone that has gone through the same things or had the same fears can help. :)
Yea, it usually can :) Thanks

Maple
09-13-2011, 09:14 AM
My only real phobia is wasps. If a wasp gets to close, I freak out, panic and run away. I can stand them bring near me, and I can even shoo them away once or twice, but if they shoo and keep coming back, that's when I start to wig out.

I'm not terrified of spiders anymore like I used to; now I just dislike them. I got over my needle phobia after I donated blood the first time. I don't like needles, but at least now I don't back myself into a corner and cry. I also fear dark water, but if I have someone with me I can go in and swim, even if I am a little jumpy about it!

Mermaid Kalliope
09-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Lorelei - Awesome! ^_^ We shall. I know I'm not ready for the ocean at night, quite yet, but we can work on the pool first. :-)

Maple - I've had my blood drawn twice and I've had shots... Still terrified like a baby of them.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Jewel, my take on the afterlife question is this: we have records and stories of people who can do incredible things - mystics, martial artists, genii, athletes, certain devoted family members (you hear about mothers and feats of strength or intuition, most often), etc. If we humans are that powerful if we set our minds and spirits towards something... then how can that spirit truly be destroyed by something as commonplace as death? Also, some of the things that make our lives so wonderful and rich are those things which we never see or hold or sense in any way but through some inner recognition: love, hope, wisdom, courage, peace, mischief, humor, mermaids, and yes Virginia, Santa Claus. Why is it so strange to picture something greater than our current lives waiting for us?

Also, you might be interested in reading the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman... it follows the "god" of Dreams in the modern world, unravels several coiling stories, and offers a really comforting, friendly, cheerful personification of Death.

Happyguava, I like birds and bats and most insects (except mosquitos, though I'm not scared of them, just frequently bitten; and bees/wasps/yellojackets/etc, which I am afraid of), but I don't like anything flying towards me... I am horrible at baseball. A also am... not exactly afraid of heights, but afraid of falling from them (I'm fine if I have a sturdy wall or railing or airplane between me and plummeting to the ground), and even then, I'm more afraid of the sudden stop at the end. I don't mind swimming in dark water, but I'm 6'2" tall, and any water that is more than twice as deep as I'm tall and that I can't see beneath me freaks me out a little... I worry about what might come up and get me.

I'm also really afraid of disappointing my friends and family. It can be rough, especially since I've done so on more than one occasion (though they still love me and continue to help me).

I used to have night terrors about darkness, but I'm a night owl, and I like the cool shade of darkness (I don't even like my clock radio to be facing me because the glare keeps me up)... my nightmares were more about being crushed by this black void gravity thing. I don't like needles, and I always tense up a little, just like I do when a plane lands and it makes that roaring sound as it rumbles across the ground but is still going really fast... but I can get shots and ride planes all the time... I'm used to the knowledge that it's only going to take a moment.

That said, I don't like roller coasters, log flumes, or anything else that goes high and fast and makes me feel out of control.

Mermaid Shelly
12-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I am right there with you arachnophobic, needle and dark/murky water fearing merfolk out there...definitely afraid of small spaces too. I'm also afraid of surgery and doctor's offices. If I can take care of my issues homeopathically then that is always my first preference probably because doctor's offices are always where those pesky needles are lurking!

I am terribly afraid of heights & falling too and my husband loves to taunt me with it. He loves to go to cliff edges just to mess with me and I totally freak out because I want to rescue him but I am terrified and freeze up like I'm made of stone. Really, really hate heights!

Mermaid Saphira
12-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Here is my list of phobias...
*Roller coaster (looks fun until you get on)
*Spiders (8 legs, 8 eyes! EW!)
*Swimming in murky water (creeps me out)
*Wasps, bees, etc (never been stung and not intending to!)
*Crabs (Which is sad cause I live on the eastern shore!)
*Jelly fish (gotten stung tooo many times already!)
* The dark (horibble experience, but a long story!)

That's all I can think of right now..........................

Mermaid Saphira
12-08-2011, 02:06 PM
My Major Phobias are:

*Waterbugs, Yeecchh, most bugs actually, (newest bug to add to that fear of bugs list is House centepiedes) They all freak me out. I dont like them, flying cockaroaches need to go away, I mean seriously.

*Needles is another phobia- and its really bad too. Mostly due to everything i've been through cause i've been in and out of the hospital in my 29 years of life.Add the endless tests i've had. I literally breakdown when I have to get any CBC's Or "bloodwork". who cares if im turning 30 in october, my brain goes into instant 5yr old when i see a Needle,whether its a bloodwork needle or an Intravenous (I.V).

*Falling. I cant explain this one, i think its from a trauma from when i was younger.

Also Im claustaphobic- this isint fun for me, i get anxiety from this.

I was in the hospital alot with CVS when I was younger...I am petrified of needles, blood, male doctors, you name it!!

Azurin Luna
12-09-2011, 05:44 AM
I'm afraid of driving, not as a passenger but as the driver. That's why I never got my drivers licence, I always see flashes of what can go teribly wrong when you lose control. Yet I ride a bike as fast as I can.

I'm also afraid of electric driven saws, especially the cirlular saw, even the sound gets on my nerves. At carpentry school I always asked if a teacher would stand near me when I had to use the saw, and I was always embarished to ask them. But once I got the courage to explain them why I needed it, they were more helpfull and even wanted to show the savest ways to use them if you are afraid of using them. It helped, but I still rather not use them ever again.

Guess I got some fairly uncommon fears around here.
I don't mind bugs, but they have to stay out of my bed, anywere else doesn't matter, but the bed is mine! :P
I'm not scared of needles at all, just don't like the feeling that much
And I swim in any water that is safe to swim in

sunrise
12-11-2011, 02:24 PM
These are things I'm afraid of. I've been teased about them, especially because of how many things I'm afraid of. Honestly, I'm just guessing why I'm afraid of them, but I'm not sure I'll ever really know why. I mean, I know that the drain can't eat me, yada yada yada, but I can't help being afraid. :-) I hope this will help other people to not feel so alone in their fears.

storms (storm chasers)
leeches (honestly I have no idea why)
some drains (original cause, no idea. reason I use the cover for mine, accident i tub led to me staring into water distorted tub drain.)
some shower heads (it's so bad that at a certain friend's house I look down, then open the door to wash my hands so that I don't see the shower head.)
holes in walls
needles (`I think we've all done the hiding behind the drawers of the examination table thing, but I pushed a nurse after the accident mentioned above led to a blood test)
spiders (they're big, ugly, bite and love to hang out by my house)
supernatural stuff (internet, travel channel lighthouse ghosts)
aliens (I blame my cousin and the T.V.)
my list grows when I read other people's and remember the problems I have with that.. I can't stand swimming at night. At all, unless there are like, five adults standing there. I don't like open spaces in winter or night because I feel vulnerable. The reason I dislike swimming at night is because I watched some show at 11 at night when I was really little where a boy ran off at night, jumped into a public pool turned into a monster, and when his mom chased him there and jumped in, she was killed... I can't be above the second floor of a house without getting scared (great uncle's three story house with creaky 3rd floor stairs right above creaky 2nd floor stairs, I can just imagine falling to the first floor in a mass of splintered wood. Eeep!!
I also hate heights and elevators with windows to view the outside from- discovered that in March...

Mermaid Sirena
12-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Worms.

I am afraid of worms. Tiny little, helpless, wiggly, slime balls of ick and grossness. I don't know why I'm scared of them. Spiders and bugs don't bother me, slime isn't a issue, I don't know what. They just scare the hell out of me, there have been times when friends have chased me around dangling a worm, and the one time I saw someone eat a worm I almost hurled. I hate playing in dirt or mud unless I have a trowel, though gloves are preferred so then I can feel the dirt and play with it. I have issues with sea-weed because it's slimy and wiggly like worms and I just can't handle it. Though part of my issue with sea weed is that snapping turtles like to live in them and I can't see the sneaky jerks, which is all explained in the next paragraph.

I've also had a phobia of Snapping turtles which causes me to be cautious when entering any lake where I've heard there to be one. This happened after a neighbors full grown black lab was killed and partial eaten by a giant snapping turtle which took up residence in his display pond. It's strange, I have no issues swimming with sharks or sting rays or other 'dangerous' water life. But snapping turtles, no thank you. For me they have the stereo type most people have for sharks. So I guess snapping turtles and sharks are reversed for me ^_^ I love sharks, can't get enough. I love swimming with them, petting them, learning about them, spending time with them. But put me in any close proximity with a snapper and my danger radar goes crazy.

-Annwyn-
12-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I had to think a lot about this and there honestly isn't a lot that frightens me. But the one thing that does - and I mean to the bone - is DRIVING A CAR. I hate the feeling of being in the drivers seat, I hate suspecting everyone else is going to crash into me. Car driving is just such an uncomfortable experience for me that I'm even a terrible front-seat passenger, gasping and gripping the door handle at any sudden turn. I do my best to curb it and relax, but it still happens, and still annoys the driver. I even failed by driving test twice before giving up. I connect it to a car accident when I was 14 and a woman smashed into us as she was turning and we were waiting at the lights. I'm not a basketcase or anything, I just don't like driving.

Ironically enough I got my motorcycle licence instead and I am totally comfortable riding a motorcycle when I did ride one.

But yeah. Cars. Won't drive them, but I always chip in gas money for those who do drive me somewhere. Plus I save money and get exercise by walking or riding my bicycle instead!

Alveric
12-18-2011, 11:41 AM
@Aela: I was seventeen when I was a passenger in an accident where my grandmother was killed. It took me ten more years before I started driving. I know where you're coming from. I'm OK with driving now, I'm still uncomfortable as a passenger, however. I need to be in control to feel safe.

I know phobias aren't logical,but you are much safer in a car than a motorcycle.

Alveric

SireniaSolaris
12-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Roaches are number one on my list. I can't even dispose of dead ones. U get them in the paper towels - like a whole roll of paper towels - and they crunch even if u don't mean for them to. UGH. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it!! Nope, I gotta get my bf to come over and get them. Live ones, forget it. I will instantly teleport to the other end of my house or find some reason to suddenly have to go to the store for a while. >.<

I also can't stand feet or body hair.

The subject of death is really interesting to me - I myself, don't fear it - I guess I've had so many near death experiences every which way possible, it doesn't even worry me anymore. Let's see, almost struck by lighting, almost run over by a tornado (that one was freaky), Been in a highway almost-crash that would have been lethal - saturns doing 360s, stopping on oncomming traffic, and somehow getting away without a scratch - I hope the big man gave my guardian angel a big bonus check for that one - chased down by a gang, looking down the barrel of a hand gun (needless to say I moved from that neighborhood), had a 4 foot shark swim by me when I was 12 or so, have half my heart no longer functioning after complications with strep where my throat almost closed. So yeah... very little makes me too nervous these days, as it's all kinda "eh. been there, done that.", BUT I have a HUGE fear of something happening to my daughter. Things I've gone through paired with a million and 2 stories my father told me during his 20 years working fire/rescue has me ALWAYS seeing some kind of horrible scenario in my head, and getting really upset about it :( And then I find myself pretty torn because I don't want to be one of those parents who keeps their kid in a bubble their whole life, but at the same time I'm terrified of anything happening to her. I don't know what I'd do.

SireniaSolaris
12-18-2011, 05:51 PM
I had to think a lot about this and there honestly isn't a lot that frightens me. But the one thing that does - and I mean to the bone - is DRIVING A CAR. I hate the feeling of being in the drivers seat, I hate suspecting everyone else is going to crash into me. Car driving is just such an uncomfortable experience for me that I'm even a terrible front-seat passenger, gasping and gripping the door handle at any sudden turn. I do my best to curb it and relax, but it still happens, and still annoys the driver. I even failed by driving test twice before giving up. I connect it to a car accident when I was 14 and a woman smashed into us as she was turning and we were waiting at the lights. I'm not a basketcase or anything, I just don't like driving.

Ironically enough I got my motorcycle licence instead and I am totally comfortable riding a motorcycle when I did ride one.

But yeah. Cars. Won't drive them, but I always chip in gas money for those who do drive me somewhere. Plus I save money and get exercise by walking or riding my bicycle instead!

That really is a hard thing to deal with because SO many people I swear get their licenses out of bubble gum machines these days! Almost every accident that I've been in was from someone being dumb. An old guy turned into me my first year driving. Tried to blame it on me but the positioning of the vehicles was obvious that he just started coming over into my lane. My second accident I was sort of at fault, but not ticketed. It was after I had gotten strep really really bad, and the fever you get with that can attack the heart, which it did, and it left half of my heart not functioning properly. I was getting a lot of arhythmias at the time and such, and just had a particularly stressful day, and ended up passing out. That wasn't fun. There was an almost accident about a year ago where someone almost did what the first guy did, only this was on the highway and he was driving a HUGE SUV and I was in a tiny car. I went into the shoulder to avoid him hitting me, but the car lost control and started spinning out onto the highway. When it stopped I was facing the oncoming traffic. I just kind of putted on over to the other shoulder and tried to stop shaking. The jerk who almost ran into me just kept driving without stopping to see if I was okay or anything >:( Then recently, I was parked in the parking lot and a 79 year old man hit my car while pulling into the spot next to me. There's about 20 other accidents I've avoided to date. U just gradually learn to be an aware/ cautious/ sometimes aggressive driver to deal with people's crazyness on the road.

Ally
01-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Leeches x( so badley I have no idea why my family's into fishing and we fish with them and when I was younger I'd play with them when I was bored. So now I really don't swim much in freshwater which is a drag because I live by the Great Lakes

koiboi
01-04-2012, 02:02 AM
hmmm i think some of my biggest fears are

Falling or burning to death from a mechanical malfunction(i.e. Plane Crashes, Amusement Ride failures, car accidents)

Getting eaten or attacked by sharks(a highly relevant fear if youre swimming by as food)

annnnd im not crazy about roaches

Btw Moonflower pool lights creep me out as well, but ironically only when theyre on

Siren of the Sea
01-14-2012, 02:23 PM
I have emetophobia- fear of vomiting. I got salmonella when I was just 14 months old. The theory is, I was too young to reallly understand what was going on. And I was puking a lot. So...that's why I'm so scared now. That's my only true phobia- I go out of my way to avoid it, and even try to hermetize a bit during flu season.

But as far as other fears...if Davy Jones asked me "Do you fear death?" I would have to say 'yes'.
Also, the thought of a bee stinging me scares me.

And it's not so much a fear as a 'ew ew ew stay away from me!' thing with roaches. *shudder*

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
01-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I nearly forgot: dogs. I will never have a dog as a pet (I'm only slightly more tolerant of cats, and I wouldn't want one of them for a pet, either), though I do like and enjoy petting/playing with certain members of the species. When I was very young, maybe four or five, I was playing with my best friend at the time while his mother was babysitting my sister and I. My friend and I climbed a wood pile in our explorations, and my sister (two years younger than me) wanted to play with us but was a bit too small for the climbing. So she started making noise in protest and attracted the attention of the friend's family golden retriever. It came out later that the investigators and lawyers figured that the dog was treating my sister as a puppy, who would know to calm down instinctively when an older dog closed its jaws around her head, but my sister, being human didn't know that, causing it to bite down harder and harder... and yet it all seemed to happen so fast. The mom swept outside and carried my sister inside, and I wasn't sure what was going on until I peeked in and saw the kitchen covered in blood as the mother of my friend tried to help my sister. The ambulance took my sister to children's hospital and cared for her there, and my parents immediately dropped everything and went to be with her, though I had to wait until evening for my aunt to pick me up and take me to her home. My sister is thankfully safe, and today is completing her graduate degree in deaf education in Nashville, but I basically watched a dog attack her in front of me, so while I might appreciate their charms, I will never fully trust a dog.

Gem Stone
03-24-2012, 08:20 PM
i have a lot of phobias, some reasonable, some not. here it goes
im scared of
needles
plants (for allegenic reasons)
me hurting some one on accident
being lauhged at (though ironically i deal with it better than not being laughed at)
being scared (oxymoron, i know)
doctors
nurses
dentists
flying objects (especially when coming at my face)
hide-and-seek (yes the game)
horses
falling
some heights (im weird. some heights im fine, others im not)
some bugs
sickness
breaking bones
hospitals
paper cuts (also includes folder cuts, calendar cuts, file cuts, knife cuts, and splinters)
cows
pigs (unless i have a gun)
aligators (sometimes. depends on the season. normally im only scared during mating season where they can be VERY agressive)
owls
needles (i already said this one but they are terrifying! once, when i had to get blood work, i starting shaking from fear and my fear scared the doctor. DONT TELL YOUR PATIENT THAT THEY SCARED YOU INTO THINKING THEY WERE GOING TO MESS UP BEFORE YOU STICK THE NEDDLE IN THEIR ARM!!!)
pitch blackness (darkness is ok, but not complete blackness)
crying
fainting

i think thats the end of it

Artisankatie
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm afraid of
being scared
spiders
unexpected textures when I'm eating things (can't stand being surprised by a piece of cartilage or fat when eating meat for example)
sea creatures (delightful for a mermaid who prefers the beach over a pool!)
sea creatures (including plants)
sea creatures (they can come at you from ANYWHERE, man!)
sea creatures (anything that moves in moving water, really, rocks, clouds of sand)
sea creatures (including those pool cleaners that lurk on the bottom)
jellyfish more than any sea creature, but oddly enough I have no problem with those clear jelly sausage shaped mollusc egg sacs
touching anything that is underwater most of the time (stationary rocks, poles, supports under piers)
swimming in water when i can't see the bottom or see in general (like if it's nighttime or murky or deep water)
things getting between me and the shore when swimming at the beach (people, rocks, patches of seaweed etc)

I am such a great mermaid :rolleyes:

Alveric
03-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Actually a mermaid with those quirks would make a sweet, endearing and amusing character. Unless it offends you, I might include such a character in one of my future chapters.

Alveric

Artisankatie
03-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Hahaha I'm flattered :D and not offended in the least!

Amethyst
03-25-2012, 07:01 AM
I have a fear of big spiders, little ones don't bother me so much but big hairy ones with legs that go on forever just make me freak out! lol
I also have a fear of heights, or possibly falling from a height, the silly thing is, it doesn't always have to be a great height, like at the top of a tower or something, it can be from standing on a rock that's a yard high LOL
Very enclosed spaces make me have a panic attack, I wouldn't say I was cloastraphobic, I can get in a lift and not have a panic attack but if I was somewhere that was really in 'my area bubble' like having to crawl through a small tunnel or something, then I would panic that I might get stuck, or if there's a crowd of people all cramming into a small space and my face is in someone's back, then I may have a minor panic session :(
I also have this minor fear that something is going to crawl into my ear at night when I sleep, so I have to make sure my hair is covering my ears before I can actually nod off lol :rolleyes:
Also like @ArtisanKatie I have a fear of murky water, there is no way you would get me into some water where I couldn't see the bottom of it! Also in the back of my mind when I swim in the sea, there's always a fear that something might 'get me' I don't know what, a shark, a dangerous fish or sea monster but that fear is always there lol

Prince Calypso
03-25-2012, 07:06 AM
i have a serious fear of being alone. which times to an almost unrealistic fear of death
i also have a fear being ugly
and a fear of clowns, nothing that smiles and wears that much face paint should be trusted or left around your children.

Nyx
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
I have odd fears.
I am afraid of large open spaces, mainly spaces that have no place for me to hide or be in a corner and feel protected (even if I might not actually hide at all). This is why I have a bit of a hard time going to Florida, being able to see a completely flat horizon freaks me out, I need mountains or buildings around me. This fear also brought me a month's worth of night panic attacks. The way my room was set up it made it look huge, and I could see out to a dark hallway which was even worst. I was not able to sleep properly until we re-organised my room to be a bit more crowded.
Something else that frightens me is stairs, not as badly as the fear mentioned above, but I can't have anyone touching me while I go down the stairs and I have to be holding on to a railing or wall of some sort. This fear was caused by me falling down two flights of concrete stairs when I was little; on my stomach, and with my head going down first. Thankfully I'm getting much better with it. ^u^
My more Phobia like thing is any "end-of-the-world" related things. It's hard for me to even think or talk about it, I start shaking. I can't hear or see anything about it or it sends me into a panic. If it even looks like it could relate to it I wont even continue reading/listening/watching. This is why I didn't watch the Kony video thing, it had a picture of earth in it, and I did not want to risk it. This one isn't getting much better, at times I feel like it is, but then something happens and I see something and I start freaking out again. A very common thing because my grand mother LOVES all prophecy theory related things. Her room is right next to mine ._.
Other than the last one, I try as much as I can to challenge myself and get over it. So far I can say it's helped a bit.

Spindrift
03-27-2012, 10:10 PM
I guess I should join in. I have an extremely irrational fear/hate of zombies. It's to the point that when I see one, I don't stop to remind myself that they aren't real. I remember this one time where was this one guy thought it would be funny to pretend to be a zombie to jump out at me... he ended up with a bloody nose. Also I nearly clubbed a girl dressed as a zombie on Halloween - a friend caught my arm just in time. I'd like to make the excuse that it's a reflex, but I'm not even sure. I just have this uncontrollable surge to attack anything relating to them. You should see me play Left 4 Dead. :P

MermaidMisty
03-29-2012, 08:00 PM
I used to be afraid of many things such as needles and big dogs, that I just stopped being afraid of when I grew up and had to learn to take care of myself. My theory is that the new fears I acquired pushed all the others into perspective.
My most recent and devastating fear is the fear of being homeless. I had something, I'm not sure if it was a panic attack or a vision or a hallucination or what have you, a few weeks back that forced my brain to accept the fact that I am absolutely dependent. I don't have a college education due to financial issues, and I don't have a good job. If my fiance's mother were to pass away, we could live with one of my parents. If my parents were to then pass away, we'd be completely out of luck.
My second most destructive fear is the fear of violent death. I no longer have a fear of death itself, but I'm terrified of being burned alive or torn apart or something similarly painful.
After that, I have a multitude of socially anxious fears. I used to be able to handle them much better in high school, but recently I've been making an effort to combat those fears, even if it seems hopeless.
But I can give you all a piece of advice that has banished many of my smaller fears and helps me calm down when confronting the larger fears. When I start to feel afraid, I force myself to clarify what it is I'm afraid of, even if it doesn't make sense. Then I acknowledge that fear is necessary, and that is why we can fear. It is necessary because it helps us to stay alive by avoiding danger. If a fear does not help us in some way, then it is pointless. So then I think to myself, what can I do about this fear? If it's a bug, it can be squished (even if I have to run screaming to someone else to do it!), if it's being alone in the dark then I can carry a cell phone, flashlight, and a knife. After taking a step towards preparing, if I still feel afraid I ask myself if there's anything else I can do. If I can't think of anything, I clearly and loudly think in my head "Thank you for the warning, fear. I hear you loud and clear and I have prepared myself by doing X. I no longer have need of you, and you are dismissed." It may sound silly, but it works.
Regarding my homeless fear, the only thing that worked to stop the constant terror was talking to my fiance about it and then making it clear to him and myself that I am going to go to college, even if it means no more spending money, and taking out loans I know I can't afford, and furthermore I am going to go in September. Now whenever I start feeling afraid again it's a reminder that I need to continue researching loans and looking for a better job, and once I do some research I am no longer afraid.

Nemefish
04-01-2012, 07:04 AM
im only afraid of frogs..... yea iknow theres so many things to be afraid of but i guess frogs what gets me... not even afraid of sharks or snakes (im a wierdo haha :rolleyes::crazy::lol:

Nykur
04-01-2012, 08:32 AM
1.) Fear of needles
2.) Fear of ghosts (it came when I started reading books entitled "THE SUPERNATURAL" & "HAUNTED")
3.) My biggest fear is JELLYFISH (had a very bad experience with one when I was little, I'll never forget that day...)
Well, that's all I guess...

Bellasea
04-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I have a phobia of heights. One of the characteristics of fearing heights is that it kicks in at 8 feet above the ground, which it does for me. I go out of my way to avoid step-ladders/step-stools and other things of those sort. I also work in teh theater department ot my school, so it is horrible when I have to stand on the edge of stage to adjust lighting and talk with the directors. I am not afraid of falling; sometimes I think it would be fun to free fall. I just don't like heights.

I also don't like people touching me. I really don't. I don't know why. I wasn't abused or anything. It is ok , sometimes, if I am leaning into someone, but if poeple put their hands on me, yeah...not okay.

Both of my dads don't understand. One is always trying to get me to go up ladders, in tree stands, etc. They both make fun of me and try to tease me when I don't want them to touch me. They get so bad sometimes that I acualty cry (which doesn't happen when it is about me). :(

Ayla of Duluth
04-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Things with exoskeletons
Food I've never tasted before, particularly home made stuff
Also things like salad dressings and chip dips
Being alone
Being alone in social situations like clubs and such
abyssal creatures
I have a fear of what other people are thinking of me
I also have a fear of driving. I refuse to get a lisence. I prefer taking the bus.
A slight fear of needles, however my health counselor is helping me with that, she's started using extremely small needles that are literally pain free.
I think that's about it. And yes. These are all legit FEARS of mine. Even the salad dressing one. :P

Kanti
04-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Haha yea I see lots of "needles, spiders and cockroaches" xD

But isn't a phobia an extreme fear of something? Not just the typical "oh thats scary" or "I'd rahter
not do that". I think a phobia is literally something you need to avoid or you can't function properly.
I have a friend who actually has arachnaphobia and he can't even look at a picture of a spider
without having a panic attack.

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding of the term "phobia"
If not, you all have a LOT of stuff you're deadly afraid of xD

Ayla of Duluth
04-24-2012, 08:19 AM
A lot of people misunderstand me when I tell them my phobias. And I can understand that. I mean really, a fear of food? Silly me. Actually, these things throw me into full blown panic attacks. If I even get behind the wheel of a car in a parking lot while the car is off, I'll start getting really sick from anxiety. Same thing with trying new foods. My brother used to trick me into eating foods that were too harsh for me when I was little. Once, he poured a bottle of pop, told me it was hot cocoa, (I cannot stand carbonated beverages, I won't even touch a ginger ale) and when I took a sip the carbonation hurt my mouth and tongue so bad that I couldn't speak right for a day. Now whenever someone wants me to try a new food, I literally get shaky and cold from anxiety because I'm afraid the food will be too harsh.
All the others are phobias too. Things with exoskeletons make me queasy and if I see a bug I'll freeze up until it goes away. I won't even go into those butterfly rooms at museums and such. I'd explain the others, but it'd be a tl;dr post.

Bellasea
04-28-2012, 10:33 AM
But isn't a phobia an extreme fear of something? Not just the typical "oh thats scary" or "I'd rahter
not do that". I think a phobia is literally something you need to avoid or you can't function properly.
I have a friend who actually has arachnaphobia and he can't even look at a picture of a spider
without having a panic attack.

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding of the term "phobia"
If not, you all have a LOT of stuff you're deadly afraid of xD

With both of my fears I go out of my way to avoid them. I will do things the hard way if it means not doing it. If there is something I need and I can't reach it, so I need to use a step-stool, I do without.

Kanti
04-28-2012, 12:07 PM
A lot of people misunderstand me when I tell them my phobias. And I can understand that. I mean really, a fear of food? Silly me. Actually, these things throw me into full blown panic attacks. If I even get behind the wheel of a car in a parking lot while the car is off, I'll start getting really sick from anxiety. Same thing with trying new foods. My brother used to trick me into eating foods that were too harsh for me when I was little. Once, he poured a bottle of pop, told me it was hot cocoa, (I cannot stand carbonated beverages, I won't even touch a ginger ale) and when I took a sip the carbonation hurt my mouth and tongue so bad that I couldn't speak right for a day. Now whenever someone wants me to try a new food, I literally get shaky and cold from anxiety because I'm afraid the food will be too harsh.
All the others are phobias too. Things with exoskeletons make me queasy and if I see a bug I'll freeze up until it goes away. I won't even go into those butterfly rooms at museums and such. I'd explain the others, but it'd be a tl;dr post.

These seem more like phobias because it seems they cause an unreasonably high amount of fear for really no particular reason. It's definitely a less mild phobia, but I'd say it is probably a phobia rather than a fear, especially since people can't relate to you at all. I don't know if there's such thing as therapy for these sort of things? I always heard that some psychologists could put you in trances and try to disable the phobia but that sounds sort of science fiction to me xD Still, phobias are very serious and often hinder very normal things so maybe you should consider doing that?
Although the whole soda thing sounds like you just shouldn't be drinking soda o.O if it hurts your entire mouth, ouch. Maybe you should steer clear of it.

With both of my fears I go out of my way to avoid them. I will do things the hard way if it means not doing it. If there is something I need and I can't reach it, so I need to use a step-stool, I do without.

I suppose it just seems that phobias are often rare. I think only like 10% of Americans have actual phobias. While 10% is a pretty significant number, I think it's sometimes overexaggerated in the data because people don't really understand what it is to have a phobia. Not saying that you don't, I don't really know what you experience, but a fear is something like "I'm scared of cockroaches, there's a museum with a cockroach in one of the exhibits, I'll probably skip over that one and not have a look >_>" a phobia is more like "OMG THERES A COCKROACH IN THAT ROOM? I CAN'T GO IN THERE WHAT IF IT BREAKS OUT? LETS JUST LEAVE RIGHT NOW I DON'T EVEN WANT TO BE IN THE SAME BUILDING AS A COCKROACH." Then they'll probably start crying and have to walk out. The person with a phobia has a very overexaggerated fear, it's not just something they'd rather not do, they literally can't even go through a museum and just ignore it. The fact there's a cockroach will completely consume their mind and throw them into a panic attack.

Mermaid Rillia
05-02-2012, 01:54 AM
I have a mild fear of frogs, i dont know where it came from because i used to catch them when i was little.
Same goes for lizards.

I do have a major phobia of the ground. yes...the freaking ground. It started when I attempted to do a cartwheel when i was 6 and my arms weren't strong enough to hold my own body weight so i came crashing down on my head and twisted my neck. (very painful)
The same goes for the high dive diving boards. I took a headfirst dive as a dare when i was 10 (still arms out in front of me), and upon my arms breaking the water surface, when my head hit the water it jerked causing me to yet again twist my neck. (Twice in one lifetime is enough)
I dont have a fear of falling or anything.
But its for this reason that I never learned to do a cartwheel. :/

Bellasea
05-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Kanti- I think I should have used "fear of heights" instead of phobia in my first post. I have never had a panic attack, but i have always removed myself from the situation when I knew that I would start to freak out.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Hello! Any one have any fears they need off their chest? Or perhaps some support? This thread sort of died. ><

Mermaid Kalliope
06-03-2013, 09:26 PM
@Ayla of Duluth - You really should try my cooking! It could probably help you with that fear. I make very mild, but well flavoured dishes. (Mild as in not OVERLY seasoned or what not) I actually have a friend who is the pickiest person I know. He won't eat anything that isn't super plain because taste just punches him in the face. But, he loves my cooking! I wish you lived closer! I would love to help you! <3

telzey.amberdon
06-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Scared of deep water, you go down and it gets black... Does it for me.

MerAnthony
06-03-2013, 10:18 PM
This may seem weird, I am alittle afraid of fish. Not like the ones in a tank you have at home. But like the one you catch with a pole. I have never been able to take them off by myself unless I use a rag to cover my hands an take the hook out. Or I would have my dad take the fish off the hook for me. It is kinda hard to explain the feeling. Just something makes me feel kinda squeemish an icky. Even to this day I still feel that way. Now I don't mind swimming with them but handling them is a different story.

Mermaid Tula
06-03-2013, 10:21 PM
I am terrified of June Bugs. I can deal with spiders, and most other bugs, but the moment I hear the buzz of June Bugs wings I start having a panic attack. The other night, I heard one buzzing around outside my window that was open. I closed it for the most part, but left about an inch open. Well one of those evil little bugs came in through the cracked open window and decided that I was a prime victim. So here's me, screaming and flailing, trying to keep it off my while trying to find my electric fly swatter. So I get it, wind up flailing like a mad woman, managed to hit it, It KEEPS FLYING AT ME! So I hit it again. It falls onto my couch, and I'm nearly in tears while smacking it with the fly swatter until it sticks onto it. I hurried and took it outside, shaking the swatter while it's still zapping that damned June Bug. So it's outside, and now off the swatter, I closed the window all the way, but I couldn't stop shaking! I'm getting the heebie jeebies just thinking about that experience.

Ayla of Duluth
06-03-2013, 10:23 PM
I have a fear of water intakes. Those drains at the bottom of pools? Forget about it. Where there's an intake, there's a propeller. Where there's a propeller, there is a risk of death. I think I'm mostly afraid of them because I can't see what's in them, so I don't know what's going to happen if my hair gets caught in one.

Also, the machines at waterparks that make the waves in wave pools. Seriously, have you seen how those things work?? massive.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Oh, I am also afraid of:

Death (That has been mentioned quite a lot) - I'm really not certain as to why I am, it may have to do with when I was really little. They gave me a medication that I am apparently deathly allergic to (if I have it again, I die. End of story.) and I almost died. I almost killed my mom while I was still in the womb. I grew too fast. haha

Electricity- OH MY MER GODS NO. It just. No. The crackling, the feeling, seeing it... *shudders* NO THANK YOU. I can go through a haunted maze or house or whatever and nothing creeps me out until there's an electric chair. Then I'm all like "I am outta here!" I think it may be due to almost being severely electrocuted when younger. I don't know. It's always just... Given me the heeby jeebies. I'm also a sensitive, so that probably doesn't help. ><

Mermaid Varshana
06-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Oh, I am also afraid of:

Death (That has been mentioned quite a lot) - I'm really not certain as to why I am

Ditto. Mostly death by car accident. I've been in 6.

Mermaid Dottie
06-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Since my brother died, I have a terrible fear of losing my son. I saw my mom go through losing a child, and I don't want to lose my baby to anything.

I'm also Claustrophobic, due to having almost been smothered by a pillow, once upon a time.

And I have a fear of falling from high places, yet I have never had a falling dream. Only flying ones.

LittleTreasure
06-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I can't say that I have any real phobias, but I am pretty scared of certain things:

1. COCKROACHES. THEY (in my primitive lizard brain) ARE THE MOST EVIL, DISGUSTING CREATURES EVER. I HATE them. When I see them I get completely freaked inside, and when I, God forbid, step on them, I squeal like a 2 year old. Now I know they're not so bad. They're just bugs. I know this. But they are so revolting...and to me they are a sign of filth and nasty water around that must have attracted them. My boyfriend gets them in his house, and...well, he cleans like your everyday bachelor - not very well. I saw like 6 in his garage the other night and got out of there as fast as I could. Anyway.

2. Needles. Needles can reduce me to tears in minutes. Plus I tremble and I have fainted twice before while getting shots. I can't stand seeing a doctor or nurse brandishing a needle, then unwrapping it, filling it up, whatever...but at the same time, I can't turn away. My whole body turns numb as I start to freak out. ^.^; I am such a baby.

3. Yes, you can laugh at this. It's funny: Stickers, tape and band-aids. I think those are pretty much, besides cockroaches, THE MOST disgusting things ever. I used to stay out of the pool and freak if I saw a sticker or band-aid floating in the water and I would whine until someone would get it out. Then I would stay out of that area for fear of another one popping up. I hate public pools because of band-aids. They're dirty, used, and what if one stuck to me and I didn't notice? UGH. I can't stand stickers on fruit (my mother LOVES leaving them on the sink after cleaning fruit) and old peeling tape/stickers, etc. It also completely freaks me out seeing that kind of stuff stuck on the street. Just the thought of touching/stepping on one makes me want to throw up.

3. For some reason I get pretty scared at night when I want to get something from the kitchen, or use the bathroom. I think it's a fear of the dark plus a fear of ghosts/demons/other unwanted strangers. I also hate looking in mirrors in the dark. In the dark, my reflected eyes look like endless pits because I can't see any detail. Kind of like seeing Bloody Mary or something! I know it's kind of irrational...but I believe in ghosts. And ghosts, by my reasoning, are usually not friendly since they've not gone anywhere after death. I also don't like Oija boards or things like that. What would possess someone to invite unpredictable spirits in to talk? But anyway, that's probably my religious side talking.

4. I also get pretty scared of diving down in water deeper than 5 feet. It's the uncertainty of, will I get back up to breathe in time? And, usually if I'm in that kind of water it's dark or I don't have my goggles which help me with this fear. Being able to see helps so much.

Speaking of religion, Mermaid Jewel - and I don't mean this to offend/annoy - if you never grew up with an established faith, what's stopped you from seeking one out? I can't imagine the uncertainty you must feel about death. Not knowing would scare me too. I grew up Catholic/Christian and having God to talk to is sometimes my only comfort. If you ever wanted someone to talk to about that you could always message me...and I wouldn't preach to you. That's not my style.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-03-2013, 11:39 PM
LittleTreasure- It is not silly to be wary of ghosts! I know that other beings are out there, I've seen them/interacted with them. But, I must say that not all ghosts are bad. Sometimes they stay behind to protect loved ones, not hurt people. I used to have my great grandmother and her best friend living in my room. I had never met either of them, nor had I seen pictures of the best friend. I described them to my grandmother and she knew exactly who I was talking about! I have also helped a friend of mine's girlfriend cross over. She stayed behind because she wanted him to know that she was okay and happy. That he shouldn't worry, and once he knew... she left! Now, not every being out there is nice, just like people. You can't blanket them all as "Bad". If you want (I read you are Christian/Catholic, so please don't be offended. I am wiccan/druid (pagan as a blanket term) and this helps me) get an amethyst charm and wear it at the level of your heart on a chain. It will protect you from any psychic attack. <3 I keep a large raw one by my bed and a small one around my neck that I can adjust the length depending on purpose.

I do hope that helps you! ^_^

Elle
06-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Scared of snakes. I hate them. I don't even like seeing them in captivity cos I'm scared the glass will break and they'll get out.
I'm also mildly afraid of glass topped coffee tables. I blame my cousin for dropping me on one when I was younger.... it hurt.

My partner has some issues with dark blood. We tried to start watching Dexter and got to ep 10 of the first season and had to stop watching it because of his childhood....not fun :(

Mermaid Varshana
06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
I guess I bring this up because the absence of an established faith, or fleeing one that feels wrong, doesn't always lead a person to choose an established faith, or to a belief that includes life after death. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that. The search is very individual.

I'm pantheistic, but I don't believe that our consciousness continues after death. Before we were born, our atoms comprised something else, and after we die, theyll become something else still. In a way, that's immortality. The study of neurology and religious history led me there. All in all, personally, I'm okay with that. I was raised an Independent Baptist, and after a very long journey, deep depression and the struggle to rationalize biblical belief with my own experiences of reality, I found "faith." I guess it's not a faith, so much as a perception and connectedness to the universe. Established faith gives a lot of people comfort and hope, but I can see how, for some, that would not be the case.

LittleTreasure
06-04-2013, 12:31 AM
LittleTreasure- It is not silly to be wary of ghosts! I know that other beings are out there, I've seen them/interacted with them. But, I must say that not all ghosts are bad. Sometimes they stay behind to protect loved ones, not hurt people. I used to have my great grandmother and her best friend living in my room. I had never met either of them, nor had I seen pictures of the best friend. I described them to my grandmother and she knew exactly who I was talking about! I have also helped a friend of mine's girlfriend cross over. She stayed behind because she wanted him to know that she was okay and happy. That he shouldn't worry, and once he knew... she left! Now, not every being out there is nice, just like people. You can't blanket them all as "Bad". If you want (I read you are Christian/Catholic, so please don't be offended. I am wiccan/druid (pagan as a blanket term) and this helps me) get an amethyst charm and wear it at the level of your heart on a chain. It will protect you from any psychic attack. <3 I keep a large raw one by my bed and a small one around my neck that I can adjust the length depending on purpose.

I do hope that helps you! ^_^

Thanks for your response! I am generally wary of anything dealing with ghosts/spirits, although the idea is really interesting and I love ghost story type tv shows, etc. My mom has told me she's felt her mom and her sister around occasionally after their deaths, and they were both wonderful strong women - like for example, my mom went to her mother's house one day (which we're renovating so I can live in it, which brought up the thought of ghosts) and the whole house smelled so strongly of her perfume that she asked her aunt that lives next door if she'd actually sprayed it in the house, because it was unusually strong. She said no. Mom thinks it was her mother trying to let her know everything was ok. And she has felt her sister out in the garden at the same house. I don't think all ghosts are bad, especially since those two have visited and left their mark occasionally, but I have a fear that if I asked my grandmother/aunt to come say hi sometime, an imposter with bad intentions would answer. I might see if I can find an amethyst necklace sometime. I have a book on different stones and their attributes - I wonder if that's in there?

Mermaid Kalliope
06-04-2013, 03:21 AM
The amethyst should be! There are a lot of ways to cleanse a house. If you don't mind, burn some white sage with only positive thoughts in mind. It helps to say "No negative energy may stay in this space, only positive energy may remain." Smudge some of the ash on each door way and window.

Or! If you prefer a method in line with your belief, ask your local priest to come and do a cleansing of the house. A lot of churches have no problem doing it for you or directing you to someone who can. Greek churches are great at helping out with blessings. :-) Worst comes to worse, get holy water and do your own blessing with prayers. All in all, what can come in is up to YOU. You must remember that it is YOUR house and nothing is allowed in without your express permission. I am sure if you have your heart open to your aunt and grandmother, they already have a door to the house, having lived there before, and they will most likely protect you. :-)

<3

SeaGlass Siren
06-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Illogical fear of clowns. dunno why. it just randomly developed.
Fear of ventriloquist dummies.
Illogical fear of mirrors (only at night and all the lights are off)
Irrational fear of people waving paper in my face because when i was younger, bullies tried to paper cut my eyes.. x[ it was horrible..
Fear of handling/using knives, esp. around people.

and this one takes the cake: the pain of giving birth and having your lady-hood stretched/ripped open twice the size it's supposed to be.. ;__;

Also, jewel... i watch too much CSI also. i carry around the holy trinity with me everywhere.. keys, cellphone, wallet.

SeaGlass Siren
06-04-2013, 08:15 PM
oh yes, and ghosts. i encountered a ghost one time... not fun.. not fun at all. i swear i mustve been going crazy...

XMermaidMarinaX
06-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Wasps
Being left alone in the dark
And.. spiders. Only when I can't see them though

Seven Devils
06-15-2013, 03:27 PM
I have terrible tokophobia (fear of pregnancies).
It has gotten so bad since last year that now even looking at a pregnant woman will send me into a panic attack. It wouldn't be a big problem, since I never want kids, if there wasn't a pregnant woman in my coven (fellow pagan/witchcraft practicing mers; is there another word I can use other than coven? I feel stupid using it). She's really nice and I'd love to properly introduce myself, but I always have to have my back to her and it makes me feel super rude. :/ I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I've tried therapy, but it doesn't help much. I'm starting to think I'll be tokophobic forever.

(Sorry for any typos, I'm on my phone. Haha.)

Mermaid Kalliope
06-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Wow, that is a new one! Tokophobia. Hm... Well, if it's too much to do in person, why don't you try to talk to her over e-mail and explain your phobia? It's not like she's going to stay pregnant forever! That baby has to come out sometime. *laughs* See if you can get another coven member to exchange e-mails for you guys and go from there.

As for "coven", it's very hard find another word for it. I know it has quite the negative tag attached to it, but I have heard some groups use "congregation" for their group. Since that is what it is. Though, most folks will assume Christian with that word. :-( Sorry I'm not much more help.

Seven Devils
06-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Oh wow, thank you! I never even THOUGHT to exchange emails with her!
I can have a friend of mine explain the situation to her, exchange our emails, and then I can personally explain to her why I've been so distant. :D
She is already seven months along though, so it won't be a problem for too much longer. Thanks again for the suggestion, that was such a good idea!

And I knoooow. Congregation' doesn't feel quite as personal as 'coven', which sucks, since it sounds a little better. I suppose I'll stick with 'coven' for now, even if I do feel a little silly. :p
But what's a witch to do? Haha.

Echidna
06-15-2013, 07:55 PM
is there another word I can use other than coven? I feel stupid using it

You could say "meditation circle" or "meditation group" or anything along those lines, whatever you feel expresses best what you're doing ;)

Mermaid Kenzie
06-15-2013, 08:17 PM
I have an anxiety disorder. It used to be really bad, to where I couldn't be around people for an extended period of time because it would wig me out. I needed to feel like everything was in control and if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to handle it and melt down. Now, I have worked a good bit of it out. I chew my fingernails like crazy still, though and occasionally have to seclude myself.

I also have an irrational fear of male doctors. I don't like them touching me in any way.

@Taom I literally have everything you mentioned (except biting my nails, I started picking under them instead), and was wondering if it's not too much to ask, what's the title of your disorder? P.s the doctor thing, I'm totally with you ;D Except it's really ALL doctors for me...

deepblue
06-16-2013, 04:20 PM
I don't see male doctors, either. Unless they're extremely, obviously femme, I can handle that. But when I go to a new office, I always tell them I must see a female doctor. One doctor I had knew me so well that when she had to have one of her male NPs see me, she said, "No, you'll be fine with this one." And indeed, I was very comfortable because he was quite femme.

I used to have extremely bad anxiety disorder, but after years and years of working on it, I do much better. You can get to a better place with it, but it takes work and a good help.

if there wasn't a pregnant woman in my coven (fellow pagan/witchcraft practicing mers; is there another word I can use other than coven?)

A lot of women in the coven I used to belong to simply called it their Circle. http://mernetwork.com/index/images/smilies/smile.png

Personally, dealing with fear and anxiety without the attacks is something I still deal with everyday. I had at one time not left my house for months, but that was a long time ago, and now I just do. I leave, I have my daughter to think of, and I just have to deal with the world.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Oh wow, thank you! I never even THOUGHT to exchange emails with her!
I can have a friend of mine explain the situation to her, exchange our emails, and then I can personally explain to her why I've been so distant. :D
She is already seven months along though, so it won't be a problem for too much longer. Thanks again for the suggestion, that was such a good idea!

And I knoooow. Congregation' doesn't feel quite as personal as 'coven', which sucks, since it sounds a little better. I suppose I'll stick with 'coven' for now, even if I do feel a little silly. :p
But what's a witch to do? Haha.

^_^ So glad I could help! <3 I really hope that everything works out for you. It is tough to not be able to communicate with someone due to a fear, but e-mail and telephones are a wonderful thing!

Jadestone
06-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Like Seven Devils, I have a fear of pregnancy, but in my case it's much broader than that and I haven't found a specific phrase/word for it listed anywhere. Basically, I'm afraid of things being inside me. "Unnatural" things, like IV needles or breathing tubes or parasites or a fetus (the organs that are supposed to be there and the healthy bacteria are all okay, so to me are "natural"). I don't know if it's debilitating enough to be considered a medical phobia, but it does impact my life/behavior and make me pretty unhappy when confronted with it :( So a very strong fear at least.

This has a couple different ways it seems to express itself... I fear swallowing foreign objects, I don't even put silverware very far into my mouth--if i'm eating with a fork, I just bite whatever's on the end of the fork with teeth as opposed to closing my mouth around the fork. If it's not a bite-able item or I'm eating with a spoon, I just put the edge of the utensil to my lips and "pour" into my mouth. For soup like things I could also slurp them in, but that's impolite :rolleyes:

Breathing tubes freak me out because in general they're unexpected. I've never had one but if I woke up wiht one in the hospital I would have a panic attack and rip it out which is really not a good idea but I would not be able to leave it inside me. I've started crying just THINKING TOO MUCH about this one, just describing it here is giving me the chills x_x

This next part may be TMI for some of you, so be warned... Another thing I can't do is wear tampons :/ The closest I've ever gotten was holding one before I started crying too hard to even consider actually putting it in. That was maybe 3 years ago, since I've considered retrying and then about 5 seconds later start to panic and realize it's probably just never going to be an option for me. Which sucks, as there's no options for me for swimming during my time of the month this way :( Relatedly, thinking about going to the ladyparts doctor sends me into full-blown panic mode. That's an appointment I'm never making nope.

I've only ever really talked about this (especially that last part) with a very few close friends, so it feels kind of good to get it out of me a little :)

Mermaid Varshana
06-18-2013, 10:27 PM
I hope someday you overcome your fear, Jadestone :( Ladyparts check ups can save lives. Of course, I'm one to talk. I haven't had one in 2 years due to money issues. And I have a family history of ladyparts issues :/

Mermaid Muir
06-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Funny story. Im actually afraid of deep water. Im trying to get out of it like I did my fear of heights but it's taking some time. And being ousted for being my true self.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-18-2013, 10:58 PM
I don't know if it's a fear of pregnancy, per se, but I do quite loathe the idea of being pregnant. Seeing pregnant women doesn't scare me, I find it quite interesting, but the thought of myself being pregnant... *shudders* I'm good. And I'm right there with you, Jadestone. Ladypart doctor's appointment... No thank you. >< I do not want someone I barely know poking around down there. :-/

I think the air tubes, IV lines and a few other pokey items are a fear of many. I, personally, believe it's because it IS unnatural to have a plastic tube shoved down your throat. Being uncomfortable with it is a normal, natural reaction. Same as surgery, scares the hell out of me if it is with humans. Animals, I'm okay with, but otherwise no. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Glad you feel better about getting that off your chest, Jadestone! And hopefully things can get better!

Mermaid Julianne
06-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Well, up until recently, I've been extremely afraid of pitch blackness/people in the dark with me. About two years ago, I watched Saw at midnight, and ever since then, I always imagine someone or something in the room with me when I'm alone at night, like when they abducted the guy with the camera in his house with the masks on. At night, I have to turn on all the lights so I have an open path to my room. No darkness whatsoever. Its a little insane. The same fear pops up when I walk my dog at night, and I continually think that some man is going to jump out of the woods and kidnap me. I have to walk in the middle of the road so I don't have a panic attack. Usually, I'm okay, but sometimes... Ugh. I can't.

Anyways, a few months ago I was in Target with my stepdad and I saw this light up lightsaber in the kids aisle. I immediately realized this was the exact thing I needed to solve my problem. Not only was this thing a super mega flashlight, it was also a weapon. If anyone tried to mess with me at night, I could beat the crap out of them. Somehow, I convinced myself that I am extremely powerful, I just hadn't had the opportunity to prove myself yet. Needless to say, my walks and trips to bed have gotten much better. All thanks to my special lightsaber.
(This was a facebook post of mine from May 4th)

Edit: I just realized how corny this sounds. But bottom line, the saber is a godsend. When I don't have it though, I still do the light thing. The thought of something in the room with me shakes to the bone. Thank god I've never played or watched Slender man.

deepblue
06-19-2013, 03:55 AM
I don't find it corny. One of my oldest online friends is a member of New York Jedi (http://newyorkjedi.com/), and she kicks ass with a light saber regularly, in performances. It is a heck of a workout. :) (If you look, she is the tiny petite gal with black wings (http://newyorkjedi.com/2013/06/07/yahoo-news-master-the-lightsaber-w-ny-jedi/) and two sabers.)

Really, whatever works for you, anyway. We all have to do what works for us. No one else need understand.

SeaGlass Siren
06-19-2013, 09:00 AM
That's not corny at all! I still sleep with my turtle nightlight that makes u feel like you're underwater!!

Mermaid Marissa
06-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I know mine are really weird.... I have this thing against mold and earwigs (the grossest insect ever!) I am usually not afraid of bugs (since I basically grew up in my yard lol) but I realllllllly don't like earwigs they freak me out just talking about them.

deepblue
06-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Mold is a good thing to be freaked out by, that stuff can be deadly, no joking. I'm deathly allergic to it, but it's bad for everyone.

I love insects, but even I avoid earwigs, they're just not a bug that's very safe to have around.

A lot of what I see here are perfectly reasonable things to be freaked out by. lol

BTW- I'm not making light of it. My family has a history of some pretty serious... stuff. My younger sister has a grasshopper and cricket phobia. And when I say phobia, I mean it... she can't function when she sees one, she's been known to fall to the ground with dry heaves, she will scream... when were kids, I'd put her on my back and walk her from a car to a door, etc. She can't go on lawns, etc.

She challenged it once by picking up a cricket statue, and the damn thing moved because it was made to only she hadn't known. She nealry had a breakdown.

I have serious mental crap in my life, but most of it I won't go into here. It is either too disturbing or people aren't educated enough about psychology outside of Hollywood to understand. So kudos to everyone talking about their phobias.

Mermaid Varshana
06-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Psych major here. PM me if you need to vent :)

Moon
06-20-2013, 05:07 PM
I have claustrophobia, trypophobia, achluophobia and coulrophobia.

deepblue
06-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Psych major here. PM me if you need to vent :)

Aw, thanks, that's sweet. But I don't need to vent most of the time. It's a daily thing, but I've 'mostly recovered' and only some pretty serious triggers take me back down to a bad level. Having been dealing with it all for most of my life, it's just.. life now.

There are things that I call phobias, like not seeing male doctors, but it's not a true phobia if you can ever do it. I was in an ambulance with male emts, and I didn't lose it, so it's more a bad, illogical fear that causes a lot of severe anxiety- but I can, if I have to, get past it if I must. I ended up with a male surgeon in an emergency, and I made it through without sedation (other than local aesthetic and all that). I'm technically claustrophobic, but not of small space- the problem I have is that in uneven, crowded spaces. It took me by surprise, and made me run from these spaces a few times before I figured it out. Now I force it, I refuse to let something like a poorly designed store make me stop breathing and have an anxiety attack.

So I don't consider these true phobias, because they're not debilitating like I see phobias are for some. My one, true phobia? I won't even talk about, it's so bad. ha.

theMerFanc
10-09-2015, 02:46 AM
So I don't think there is a technical 'phobia' word for any of my fears because they are so...well, let's be honest here... DUMB.

My first and largest fear that still really grips me is actually a fear of virtual water. Ironically enough I CANNOT WILL NOT play any video games that require you to do anything in the water. This fear stems from over a decade ago when I was playing WoW. My character was being rushed and boss leveled by another character. We swam out to a tiny little island and hug out for awhile just chatting and then he logged off and left me there. Int he middle of a massive ocean. In a region where the monsters where so high level they were just ???s. And I couldn't swim back because things would kill me before they even showed up on my map. I am not afraid of real water because I know I can control myself and to be honest, because i know if I die, thats that. id on't have to deal with retrieving my body for all of my gear... I tried playing Echo the Dolphin on PS2 once. It was a literal nightmare and I couldn't push buttons I was hyperventilating so badly.

My second fear is the Easter Bunny. Again, an incredibly ironic fear considering I love animals and want a rabbit someday. My specific fear is of the mall bunnies that have the creepy ass faces (which is yet again ironic because I am a freaking Furry). I am a tad embarrassed to say this fear actually stems from a short story called "Death to the Easter Bunny" that I read when I was too young to know better. And from then on any time I saw an Easter Bunny I would just sort of freak out. I have gotten a lot better about it since coming to college and making asshole friends that show me pictures of the imaginary friend bunny (Harley? Hardy? idk) that is like.... I can't even. Can we all just take a moment though to realize that Ostara is my second favorite holiday and just recognize my terribly confusion of self...

my third and final major fear is less of a phobia and more of a precautionary fear. Swallowing my hair. Too many times have I accidentally swallowed a still-attached hair while eating and then I have to pull the hair out of my throat because I have no scissors and it won't break. Let me tell you, a single strand of hair can cut a fragile trachea and DEAR GODS DOES IT HURT. Long story short, my hair never grows past my shoulders now.

Saren
10-09-2015, 04:49 AM
I have an extreme fear of needles. I legit can't handle it. Peoploe never believe me, they always say, "Oh I hate needles too, but I still get my vaccines".

No.

I don't hate needles. I'm a vet tech, I can draw blood and give vaccines IDGAF. I'm a cosplayer, I sew with needles. If I get pricked in either case, I'm a bit jolted but I can calm down and be like, no harm no foul, I'm good.

If a nurse comes at me wanting to draw my blood, perform a TB test, or give me a vaccine. Game over. When i was going through depression at 16, my mom tricked me into getting my blood drawn for routine testing. There were two things preventing me from running out in the street to get hit by a car: 1. my mother's firm grip on my arm, 2. the fear that I would live and would have to have even more needles inserted.

Just hearing about possible blood draws and vaccines that I would need gives me an anxiety attack. That blood draw I had at 16 was the last needle I had until I had to go to college. And that was just a TB test.

My only coping method is to bite myself, hard on the opposing arm. Usually the marks are gone after a month. I think if I had someone who could level with me, and recognize that my fear is real, but talk me through it. Maybe I could get better. I want to have kids in the future and I want to vaccinate them. I want them to not feel this fear that I do.

But I always get, "Oh honey it's not that bad it's a little prick, your making it a bigger deal than it really is"

Because I don't know that my fear is completely irrational and my reactions are obsurd. I do know. You guilt tripping me is not helping.

Man that was a rant. But it's good to get off my chest!

theMerFanc
10-09-2015, 05:20 AM
TheAfanc approves of this rant.

I think what most people without major crippling phobias do t realize is that by heir nature, phobias are irrational. Most spiders won't hurt you. You aren't going to just accidentally fall out of an airplane. A giant monster isn't going to consume you in the darkness. You aren't going to run out of air in a closet. These are irrational fears but they are still scary because despite what you KNOW to be true, your brain convinces you otherwise.

Fayrn, as a vet tech I am sure you know you aren't going to have all your blood sucked out. You aren't going to die. But it is still scary.

And people who say oh get over it, it's just a fucking bunny costume deserve to be ax murdered just don't understand the actual concept of terror.

End Affie rant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mermaid Jaffa
10-12-2015, 02:51 AM
Water so deep I can't see the bottom. Its one of the main reason why in all my 30 yrs of living in Australia, I don't go swimming in the ocean.
Other reasons are sharks, sea snakes and blue ring octopus. That's why I swim in a pool. I can see the bottom clearly, in addition see who's coming from the side to me. I can't do that in the ocean, especially everything looks so blue!

Mermaid Mystery
10-12-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm a bit terrified of butterflies and moths. I don't admit it much but I really really hate them and it's painful to be nearby them. I've gotten better since I started working because they always fly by, and I'm usually holding an animal so I can't drop everything and run. I even went in the butterfly aviary at six flags without crying. But if I ever get a job there, there is no way in hell I will ever be working with the butterflies. Hell no. It's not just an "ew" kind of thing. It's more than that.
So far with mermaiding the only thing that's unsettling is bees in the pool. I've been stung by bees twice while swimming. I try to save them because we're losing bees these days but I'm still really scared.

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
10-12-2015, 12:16 PM
I have a fear of heights.. but that really doesn't bother me much. What really bugs me, is my fear to dance. I just really can't. Whenever people around me dance I just stay away and try not to feel uncomfortable.. When someone tries to let me dance, I just freeze and all I want is to be invisible. Nobody understands me, and I have no clue where it comes from. In high school I actually had dancing lessons and no problems with it.. but somehow over the years it changed.
Its weird, because I don't have the feeling I would be horrible at it. I know the only way to overcome it, is to 'just do it'.. but that seems unreachable for me. :(

Mermaid Lorelei
10-12-2015, 02:10 PM
I have tokophobia, or the fear of pregnancy and childbirth. I adore children, but I have a severe, even morbid fear of actually getting pregnant and giving birth.

Amphitrite
10-17-2015, 10:08 PM
Claustrophobia for goodness' sake! I HATE SMALL SPACES! Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd people being in my personal space, both of which happens quite a lot here. :p I have a lot of fears. Probably not the kind with names. I despise anything related to zombies or creepy clowns. *shares too much* :p

Mermaid Alea
10-17-2015, 10:20 PM
I was afraid of frogs so I forced myself to touch one and hold it. I still don't like them, but I am not afraid of them anymore.

Imogen Finnly
10-22-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm afraid of the basics, spider, ghosts, the dark, and I have a phobia of pooping worms.. Haha a little graphic... sorry. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sherielle
10-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Guns.
Also, balloons.
Hate them.

Elodea the Mermaid
10-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Oh man. I'm afraid of everything from grasshoppers to the dogs. The ones that are phobic-level are my fear of the dark and of heights. I sleep with the light on. Not a nightlight, an actual lamp or even the overhead light in my room. As far as heights go, my mom convinced me to go on a slow moving open-air tram once and had to hold me down with her body because I was panicking enough to be at risk of falling out. Full on thrashing around, crying, all that. So awesome. So mature. I don't consider my fear of dogs to be a phobia because it isn't irrational. Many dogs are large and dangerous. Like any animal, they are unpredictable. If anything I think it is irrational NOT to fear a large dog, lol.

theMerFanc
10-23-2015, 12:54 PM
I don't consider my fear of dogs to be a phobia because it isn't irrational. Many dogs are large and dangerous. Like any animal, they are unpredictable. If anything I think it is irrational NOT to fear a large dog, lol.

So not to attempt to invalidate your feelings, but the larger the dog, the more cuddly they typically are. Small dogs like Poms, Chis, schnauzers, Maltese are scare vicious little creatures with a bark loud enough to burst your eardrums. But large dogs - husky a, AlMals, Danes, Shepards - are sweet, intelligent and exist only to please. In fact, Huskies and AlMals are some of the most commonly chosen breeds to use as therapy dogs for children's hospitals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vixy
11-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Fear of vomiting, the feeling of it coming and the feeling sick before. Plus the fear of doing it in front of people. I've had it for years, and my boyfriend also has it.

TheMerthropologist
11-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Honestly I tend to have a sense of dread about everything. I'm afraid of falling apart and failing miserably at just life itself. As if the world was going to swallow me up and drown me in my own sorrows and I constantly worry about being a disappointment to others. The prospect of the future frightens me.

And wasps. Spiders, no problem, wasps, nope I'm out. They are just embodiments of pure unadulterated anger and hatred.

Starfrit
11-15-2015, 10:29 PM
Crowded spaces. Not, like, tight spaces, mind you, but places crowded with people. Which, unfortunately, I have to deal with a lot because I work in a tiny-ass Tim Horton's in a busy part of town, so it gets cramped with people on both sides of the counter. I'm just baking personalized fudge for people as Christmas gifts this year because Christmas shopping is a nightmare and there's too many people and last year I got separated at the mall from my boyfriend and my phone died and I nearly had a panic attack before he found me again.

Maybe it's just people I'm scared of, really.

Also— and this one feels silly to admit, being a mermaid and all— water that goes over my head. I remember falling off a wharf when I was really, really little, and even now it's still a terrifying memory. It never stopped me from swimming, but any time my head was submerged past my nose, I'd freak out. It wasn't until after I joined MN that I started working on my fear, but I can only do it in really short bursts (I still forget to hold my breath, and when I'm submerged I immediately tense up and just start exhaling right away so I have to come again five seconds later. Slowly getting better at that... Slowly.)

@TheMerthropologist, I'm the exact same way. I am nervous panic attacks over it more often than I'd like to admit. :c The future really is terrifying, and dealing with anxiety on top of it all just makes it a thousand times worse.

Azurin Luna
11-17-2015, 05:23 AM
I have a fear of circlesaws, like those big saw tables you have in carpentry shops. I hated working with them when I went to carpetry school. I always asked if the teacher would stand by me, then I was able to use them. But once there shot a piece of wood away, because of the tension in the wood piece itself, it scared me so much, I was unable to finish my work. I'm so happy my teacher finished sawing the parts for me. And I didn't get the fear from the movie Saw, cause I never saw it, because of this fear.

I'm also afraid of loosing control over moving objects that can move very fast, like cars, motorbikes and the likes. It took a great deal of courage to get my license for riding a motorbike, but I am still afraid to step in a car behind the wheel, even when it's standing still and the engine is off. Being a passenger though, is no problem for me.

I also don't like tight spaces, to afraid I might get a limb stuck in it and have no possibility to get it out of my own. It's not like being claustrophobic though, cause I can sit in a closet without problem.

And earwigs give me the creeps, they need to be put outside or killed by someone else