PDA

View Full Version : Making a silicone tail

Finesse
06-09-2013, 01:07 AM
I have heard much about platinum-cured dragonskin being the very best, but it's a little out of my price range. Doing some research, I stumbled upon LifeRite Skin Safe Silicone Rubber Body Casting Compoundhttp://www.amazon.com/LifeRite-Silicone-Rubber-Casting-Compound/dp/B000KI6W5E

Does anyone know much about this silicone and whether it would work for a tail? It's skin safe and better fits my budget, and looks like it'll be fairly easy to work with, but how flexible is it? How well would it hold up in water? Will it react like other silicones? Please help!

If not, suggestions for my first tail?
I made a tail out of fabric (I'm not really sure what kind) and made the scales out of hot glue, and covered the whole thing, and it was beautiful and wonderfully realistic, but just isn't flexible enough to swim in. I desperately want a silicone tail, but I just can't afford it right now. Would I be able to use the LifeRite to make a realistic and durable tail?

ShyMer
06-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I guess you would have to order a sample and test it out. We like Dragonskin because it's skin safe and durable. If you cannot find anyone here who has used this material for making a tail, I'd suggest that you google to see if other crafters have used this material to make anything other than a mold. I would read about what kind of silicone it is to find out if it is skin safe. If you can find its msds that would be great.
Keep yourself safe :)

Aziara
06-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Hmm...it is possible this stuff is actually MORE expensive than Dragonskin... $50 for only a pint...whereas dragonskin is $183.72 for 2 gallons (I know it says a gallon, but it is actually one gallon of EACH part A and part B) So $183.72 divided by 16 (to find the pint price) is $11.48. Even if an order of Dragonskin was only 1 gallon, it would still be $22.96 per pint.... I have looked around a bit, and so far, Dragonskin actually seems the cheapest out there, believe it or not.

Finesse
06-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Wow, really? I feel silly. I thought I was seeing the $50 for 3 pounds. Where did you see the pint measure?
Thank you for your feedback so far.
The price of the dragonskin is not the issue, it's all of the supplies combined. I saw a list somewhere and the total cost came up to somewhere near $900.

An additional question- is there any way to pour the dragonskin onto a cloth tail on my legs, or would that be too messy/unsafe? Is there any way to avoid the other mold-making materials?

Mermaid Photine
06-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Maybe you could get some thickener and then pour a tail-shaped piece of silicone over something textured, sort of the way that latex tails are made?