PDA

View Full Version : Competitor broke (first use) :P

Echidna
06-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Aw man.
Am I unlucky or what?

So I've used my Finis Competitor the first time today in our local pool (after having mailed to and fro with the seller because of the white rubbery substance in and on all of the footpocket),
it was a blast, great to swim in, aaand

now there's a crack in it.
First use. Experienced finswimmer. Careful as hell with transport and in the water.
Can you believe it? :(

Mermaid Allie
06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
WHAT?!?! No way! Call finis and tell them!! There must be a warranty.

Mermaid Harmony
06-11-2013, 01:00 PM
NOOOOOOOO!

ShyMer
06-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh no!! Call them, they're pretty good with replacements from what I've seen.

Echidna
06-11-2013, 02:15 PM
I've mailed them a photo of the crack, let's see what they say.

As the saying goes; bad luck comes in threes (counts on fingers)

AniaR
06-11-2013, 06:01 PM
return that. I have put my fin through hell and it's never cracked.

Echidna
06-11-2013, 06:40 PM
^^ I'll try, if they let me.
Purchase was around one and a half week ago.

I just don't understand it- the fin looks exactly as do other competitors, and they say it was absolutely new:confused:
I can only assume they had it stored for years in some corner where the conditions weren't suitable :(

Mermaid Kalliope
06-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Did you buy it FROM finnis or from a private seller? O.o

Christopher Chandler
06-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Warranty and Returns Your Product is warranted by FINIS to be free of defects in materials of workmanship, under normal use, for a period of time from the purchase date (reference chart below for length of coverage).

Products Covered
Length of Coverage

Electronics
1 Year Limited Warranty

Swim Suits, Apparel, Goggles, Swim Caps, and Accessories
30 Day Limited Warranty

Technical Products (Fins, Snorkels, Paddles, etc.) and Pool Equipment
60 Day Limited Warranty

The limited warranty* excludes damage resulting from improper care of handling, accidents, modifications, unauthorized repairs, normal wear or other causes which are not defects in materials and workmanship. If there is a covered defect, we will repair or replace the product free of charge or issue a refund** at FINIS’ discretion.

Echidna
06-14-2013, 06:28 PM
thanks guys!
the seller (a dive shop) got word from finis, and they'll exchange it once I send the cracked one back.

so, again days of waiting without a proper tailfin :(
just when the weather was turning warm (first time this year)
>< grrr...

MerMarla
06-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Aww Caltuna, I so feel for you... they should send it overnite, too! That way you wait less!

Lots of ((((Hugz))) and Bubble https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/e/B0C'z
Mermaid Marla

Mermaid Allie
06-16-2013, 12:53 PM
GRRRR! I feel with you catluna. I had no pool, no friends that have a pool who aren't busy, and wonderful weather yesterday. And now today the weather is GROSS.

Mermaid Tula
06-16-2013, 01:05 PM
At least you'll be able to get a new one! <3

Echidna
06-16-2013, 01:58 PM
At least you'll be able to get a new one! <3

Yea, I hope at least that one will hold up a bit :p

Still, I started to feel very sorry for the cracked fin. I'll have to package it later today,
and already I've fretted about it along the lines of
"that poor fluke :( it's not its fault it was boxed so shabby without cushioning,
and now it's never going to be used again although I bet the crack could be fixed for a while", and so on and so forth.

Yep, I'm weird.
I even emailed the seller, trying to "save" it, but they said I won't get a replacement without sending in the other.
Poor fin :(

I'll probably order a Rapid too today from amazon.
For one, it can't hurt to have an extra fin;
secondly, next week is forecast to be up to 39°C warm (record of the millenium here lol),
that is THE opportunity to dare swimming in a lake,
so I absolutely need a respectable monofin to swim ;D

(especially since the summer here is usually exactly one week, and the rest of the year is cold, and coldER.)

Mermaid Allie
06-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Wow thats crazy! One week for summer?!?! Are you in like northern Sweden or something lol

Echidna
06-16-2013, 07:26 PM
hah, I wish xD
Sweden is supposedly pretty good to live in.
Norway too, and Norway is stunning to boot.

The weather has been arbitrary the last ten years or so.
We used to have nice temperate summers, and long but not overly harsh winters.
However, the winter has grown ever longer and usually lasts with snow and ice till well into April now;
summer is increasingly rainy and cold, then tops in one week being hot, only to fall down into abysmal again.
Then it's usually rainy and windy till winter.

On the other hand; the sunny south (Italy, Spain and such) has suffered from sudden freezing drops in temperature from time to time, in regions which have never known snow or ice.
People weren't prepared for it- no heating in their houses-, and many froze to death when that occurred.

So my guess is- the weather is completely out of control for unknown reasons.
If we're unlucky, these are the precursors of the gulf stream having stopped.
The result might be an iceage for all of Europe.

Mermaid Allie
06-17-2013, 06:20 PM
OMG wow!! I had no idea that was going on! Yeah my dad said london was really cold, and same with my sister, who is in Italy right now. Thats insane... any indoor pools you could use?

Echidna
06-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Yea, there is a decent indoor pool (adjacent to several outdoor pools) within one hour driving distance from our home,
where we usually go as often as I can motivate my mother to tag along
(I could drive on my own, but it's my parents' car :p they like to supervise me a bit)

The irony is; we could reach a pretty lake within 10 minutes.
It's called "The Pearl of the Forest" in the region, and people come from half a county away for a visit.
Sadly, it's meh for swimming; around 4-5ft deep, and with an underwater viewing distance of approx. 5cm.
That's 2 inches :p
They claim the water quality is impeccable, but that's not very helpful when you're swimming blind lol.

Seyani
06-19-2013, 06:29 PM
.___. Nasty that it broke after one swim! *patpat*