PDA

View Full Version : Help. Monofin questions! Coast Guard questions!

Mermaid Tula
06-11-2013, 06:46 PM
So I called up my local pool to see if I could swim in my tail. I explained to them that it's a swimsuit that goes down my legs and I wear a monofin. (had to explain what a monofin was too *sigh*)

So here's my question. My pool said that as long as it was 'Coast Guard approved' then I could use it no problem.

Where can I find out if my monofin (Finis Wave) is approved or not?

I've tried googling it, but I couldn't find anything about anything being 'Coast Guard approved' except for life jackets.

So can anyone help?

Elle
06-11-2013, 06:59 PM
This is just the info from the finis site.....Maybe you'll have to call up your local coast guard as ask them about it, usually coast guard approved is for safety devices not swim devices so you're best to give them a call..
But the wave is designed as a teaching device, to build leg strength (Like all monofins) and build confidence (at least that's what the description says)
Good luck :)
Flexible Blade
Makes learning dolphin kick fun and easy
Patented Single Blade Design
Teaches young swimmers the undulation needed for a proper dolphin kick
Build Leg and Core Strength
Dolphin kicking activates 60% of your muscle mass, including the core and lower body
Stability Ridge
Built for proper flexion and speed
Stabilization Channels
Forces fin to flex in the optimum wave motion
Quick Release Straps
Provides added safety in the water, while making the fin easy to adjust
Open Toe Design
Fits men's US shoe size 1-7 or women's 2-8
Versatile
Can be used in pool, lake or ocean

The Wave is a youth size recreational monofin that teaches younger swimmers the undulation needed for a proper dolphin kick. Safe to use in a pool, lake or ocean, the Wave will build a child's leg strength and make them a more confident swimmer. The Wave has a built in stability ridge for proper flexion and comes with an adjustable heel strap that can be fitted to men's US shoe sizes 1 to 7 or women's 2-8, making it a great product for beginning competitive swimmers. The Wave comes with quick-release foot straps for added safety and easy adjusting. Plastic protection inserts are included in order to keep the shape of the foot pocket during storage. The Wave is a great swim toy and comes with a signature of approval from Olympic gold medalist and FINIS founder, Pablo Morales.

Echidna
06-11-2013, 07:12 PM
eh...the approval is usually only for stuff (life jackets, floating devices, fire extinguishers...) kept on a boat.
I googled this exerpt
"Approval means that the Coast Guard has not only looked at the item and inspected it, but also tested it to see that it meets all of the regulations that apply. The testing is usually contracted out to an independent laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories.
For something to be Certified or Approved there must be a law or regulation that specifies what items must be certified or approved, and the process for getting them certified or approved."

I could find nothing on the list about monofin, so I guess they just heard "swimsuit" and then thought "ah-hah, swimjacket, needs to be approved".
I'm not sure what you can do, other than tell them your specific item does not need an approval, and that you are ok and safe swimming with it (?).
Maybe they are afraid you wear something not suitable for swimming and they have to save you or something.

Mermaid Tula
06-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks Elle! I'll have to print that off and keep it with my tail when I go to the pool.

Mermaid Tula
06-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Thanks Catluna! I'll keep that in mind if they ask again.

I think when I go, if they're still wary, I'll see if they'll let me just show them that I can swim in it.

Echidna
06-11-2013, 07:46 PM
^^that usually works.
Once they see you can swim well (and don't whack your fluke over other people's heads),
they'll leave you alone I'm sure :D

Mermaid Tula
06-11-2013, 07:53 PM
haha yeah. I've only whacked someone's leg with my fluke, and she was my friend lol. Plus one of the lifeguards will probably stand up for me since she lifeguards at both the local public pool and the college pool I swim at normally.

Mermaidmechanic
06-12-2013, 06:25 PM
... I'm in the coast guard. We don't worry about the approval of fins, only life saving devices. I approve of your mono fin, therefore it is now coast guard approved. :3

Mermaid Tula
06-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Yay! <3 Thanks Mech <3

Mermaid Allie
06-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Comatose here is a wonderful sheet from Thalassa explaining to them what the tail is :)

Mermaid Tula
06-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Thanks Allie! I'll have to make some modifications, since my tail is fabric.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-13-2013, 04:40 AM
That's brilliant! I'd have to modify it a bit, but that's a great idea!

Nashoba
06-14-2013, 01:39 AM
You are a brilliant lady!