PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Spectar

spectar
06-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi Iím new here. I joined this site for my wife. She is the real mermaid fan. She was born blind so swimming in a tail is not going to be an option for her I donít think :( . She loves the h20 series and mermaid novels. So I joined hoping to come up with some ideas for her. Im pretty good at making props and toys. Im also good at casting with plastic resins. Im currently thinking about making my wife a nice Mermaid doll. On that would be better than the standard mermaid barbie. So she could feel it and pose it. If any one has any Mermaid book suggestions It would be much appreciated. I know she just finished the Mer-tales series.

AniaR
06-13-2013, 05:31 PM
she might enjoy the Lost Voices trilogy, and "Mermaid" by Carolyn Turgeon.

Welcome to the site!

Echidna
06-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Hello and welcome!

She was born blind so swimming in a tail is not going to be an option for her I donít think :(
Can she swim?
If yes, I don't see why she couldn't, as long as she has someone by her side in the water, telling her where to go.
I know blind people who play difficult 3D video games, and steer their avatars according to what their helper tells them over teamspeak.

If she can't swim, she should totally learn it :)
there's no healthier workout.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
06-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Making a room into a grotto (like Ariel's) might be fun and something she could feel and relax in, if you're handy around the house and with decoration.

Besides, I have to agree with caltuna... there are swimming events for the blind in the paralympics, so I see no reason why a blind mermaid couldn't happen as long as you didn't serve as a particularly attentive mertender.

spectar
06-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Oh no she can swim like a fish. I just did not think it would be a good idea to bound her legs up in a trail. I might be wrong though. Lol I know nothing about swimming in a tail. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mermaid Tula
06-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Welcome Spectar and wife! <3 Honestly, I'm not the strongest swimmer, but when I'm using my monofin, I swim really well.

Taylor is a Mermaid
06-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Oh no she can swim like a fish. I just did not think it would be a good idea to bound her legs up in a trail. I might be wrong though. Lol I know nothing about swimming in a tail. Thanks for the suggestions.
For a strong swimmer who knows how to do the dolphin kick, I personally think it's pretty safe. There are even children who have their own tails and swim in them. You might try getting her a monofin and seeing how that goes first. Also, one of our members is selling custom-made crochet mermaid dolls: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2787-Wedding-Tails-Fundhttp://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2787-Wedding-Tails-Fund I second the book recommendations Raina gave you. Both Lost Voices and Mermaid are great books.

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
06-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Honestly, though I enjoyed finally reading it (it was a mernetwork secret santa gift, and I'd long been looking forward to it), I found Lost Voices to be pretty obnoxious. I'd suggest the Mermaid Summer, Mermaid Tales from Around the World, etc.

Mermaid Dottie
06-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi there!
Welcome to you both!
If she likes to swim, I see no reason why she couldn't in a tail. Just have her keep her hands out in front of her (which I'm sure she does anyway) to keep from smacking her head on the wall. I've done that more times than I can count.

Seyani
06-19-2013, 05:14 AM
I understand your concern of her legs being bound together, but if she's used to swimming underwater using dolphin kick, she can get used to a tail as well. Or she can try and learn it by practicing with just a monofin first like Taylor said. I suggest every new mermaidswimmer should practice with the monofin first before slipping into their first tail :3

Edit : Lol Welcome btw! XD