PDA

View Full Version : ***Starting a Sequin Tail***

Mermaid Saphira
08-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I have been deciphering the idea of making a sequin tail I need something to do all winter right? LOL... It will take me quite a while but I think i just might take a swing at it! I'll use this thread to post my progress and to disscuss with other mers about tips, ideas, designs, and if I come up with a tip i"ll post it here to lend a helping had to the mers who want to make a sequin tail themselves.
Here a couple questions I have about getting started...

1) I've never made a tail properly (with the right material/fit) what kind of spandex do I use?

2) How do I go about attaching the sequins to the tail (sewing, glue)?

3) Will the tail be heavy or harder to swim in because of the sequins?

4) Have any other mers attemped at making a sequin tail?

Thank you...still deciphering, will probably do a semi sequined tail : )

melbel1023
08-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Though I have not tried making a sequin tail before, I've had many costuming buddies who have worked with crazy amounts of sequins for one piece (Like Columbia's corset in Rocky Horror).
I know Hannah uses neoprene for her tails - I think spandex might not be strong enough to hold onto the sequins, sewn or glued (Just because spandex is so thin). Maybe try finding neoprin, I know spandexworld sells it.
And I would try a mixture of sewing and gluing - You can't be too careful, ya know? At least that's what I would do.
And I have no idea what the weight will be like on a sequin tail. But good luck!

Mermaid Saphira
08-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanx so much for your help! My tail will not be entirely covered with the sequins but partially...It will have a thick lot of sequins around the waist and it will slowly spread out, minimizing the amount of the sequins. Sadly, spandexworl.com doesn't have the color i need (last time I checked anyway)

Mermaid Jewel
08-27-2011, 12:19 PM
They have lots of colors now. If not, you could always paint it! :) I'm planning a sequin one too with the neoprin I got from spandexworld

Mermaid Saphira
08-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I actually found what i neede! just plain white... I'm looking forward to seeing your tail as well Mermaid Jewel!

Spindrift
08-27-2011, 12:37 PM
If you're using spandex I would suggest sewing it, since it should be thin enough for that to not be too difficult. You could do both to the same sequin though, for extra support. As for weight, if you're swimming in deeper or open water extra weight might actually be a good thing, since its easiest to swim when you are neutrally buoyant. Also it should be near weightless in water anyway. I would be more worried about getting out of water, if anything.

Mermaid Saphira
08-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Tail design : )
Let me know what ya think!

Moonflower
08-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I really, really would not recommend using spandex to attach scales to. Even thick spandex will lose it's elasticity and you'll be left with saggy areas where you've attached the sequins to. Even if you were covering the whole tail, you'd soon have to be making modifications to the size of the tail as it would just start getting saggier and less form fitting, even before you swam in it.

If you're going to spend the time to individually add sequins to a costume, make sure you're using the right material first. In this case, I would strongly recommend neoprene (and, while the color selection may be horrible, JoAnn Fabrics is carrying neoprene right now, in the upholstery section. If you sign up for their newsletter, you can get their coupons and bring the price down significantly. It normally retails for 19.99 a yard).

As far as attaching goes, if you have the time to devote to it, I'd say stitch down the sequins. As much as I love me some e-6000 glue for projects like this, the stitching will be easier to replace if a sequin gets cracked or broken. Also, make sure you're using thread that is polyester based. Natural fibers break down over time in water.

Mermaid Saphira
08-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Good advice thank u.. and I wrote spandex on the paper but I ment to write neoprene Tee Hee!
Sadly my Jo-anns is the WORST jo-anns in the WORLD! They shouldn't even call them selves a fabric store they should change it to Jo-anns CRAFTS! They carried spandex for all of 1 week and never got it again! I prefer the dover Jo-anns but never have time to go up there...they have a GREAT selection : (

Winged Mermaid
08-27-2011, 03:18 PM
There's links to several lower priced neoprene distributors in the Materials static page. Navigate: Home > Making Tails > Materials, then scroll down to neoprene for the links.

Keep in mind you will need to sew each sequin individually- meaning you'll need to knot off your thread for each sequin you sew on. This makes things very time consuming but better to make the sequins secure. You'll have to do repairs for broken, missing, and sequins that have separated from their color film. Individual knotting makes this easier, plus if sequins break off and the thread is exposed and you have it as one piece and it breaks there goes a crap ton of your work, ya know?

I wouldn't use glue. I don't think i'd hold, first off. There's also a chance that it would only hold onto the color membrane and when it separated from the sequin you'd just be stuck with that there. Also the chance that if it gets damaged any other way you have no way to remove the damaged sequin to replace it. If I were you I'd just go with some good old fashioned sewing.

I like the design idea! I know Hannah did something similar with her blue tail (http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/winged_mermaid/Other%20Mermaids/Hannah%20Mermaid/AUDugongsEvent.jpg) before she retired it. It was kind of funny, she started with a few sequins on it then kept adding more and more then she started making whole sequined tails. Kind of felt out the sequin tail waters then plunged in :P

Mermaid Saphira
08-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanx for the advice...I'm planning on buying my material from spandexworld.com and yes I know the tail will be time consuming but we get snowed in alot so I'll just make it on snow days.. gives me something to do : )

mermaid hannah
08-27-2011, 08:23 PM
im making a sequin tail as well i think! i cant wait to share with you! design looks great!

Mermaid Saphira
08-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Why thank you! I can't wait to see how our tails turn out ; )

Mermaid Saphira
08-29-2011, 01:55 PM
My tail has been put off for a little while as I need to earn some more money to purchase materials, but I will definatley be posting pics and stuff as soon as I get the money and materials! I'll start right away : )

ivoryleopard
08-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Good luck! I'm planning on doing a sequins tail as well. I want to wait on creating mine for a while since my weight fluctuates like crazy right now. Plus extra $$$ for materials.

Mermaid Saphira
08-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Can't wait to check out your tail Ivory! My tail probably won't cost that much, I'm not covering the entire tail : )

ivoryleopard
08-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Aqua, I can't wait either! I'm still using my current tail (I need to post pictures of it online). It's beginning to be loose on me but it still stays on my bum until I swim really fast in it. My boyfriend likes to race with me. It's not painted but it's still a decent tail.

I would like to cover the tail up to the fluke. and paint the fluke. Kinda like one of Hannah's older tails. I like how those were not covered all the way with sequins but are still gorgeous and very mermaid like.

Mermaid Saphira
08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
That sounds fin-tastic LOL : )
Best of luck to you

ivoryleopard
08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
http://ivoryleopard.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d488mtl

This is the tail I am currently using. I was thinking of using sequins on this one but I want to do it in a different color.

Mermaid Saphira
08-30-2011, 07:20 PM
OOOO pretty! You should try green...ummm purple? maybe a really shiny white or silver

undine
10-31-2011, 01:22 AM
hello im undine im also starting my first tail i am following hannahs idea i already got the finis com mono fin i found the seashell sequins for my tail also the rubber floor matting for the translucent extra to the fluck and my doral i got my 3 yards of neoprene from the fashion area of nyc im going to get my ink and airbrush today im going to Posts some shot of my items and work and i cant wait to see u swin in your tail

item cost
1.finis com monofin 270 @ finis amazon.com
2.sequins seashells 140
3.neoPrene 18.99 a yard
4.rubber mat 11.99 each @a local new york hardware store
but thats all i have for now and i will be adding more

undine
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2psovlu.jpg

undine
10-31-2011, 01:38 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/v2u4u8.jpg

undine
10-31-2011, 01:40 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/sgjuio.jpg

undine
10-31-2011, 01:43 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/24o7uxf.jpg

undine
10-31-2011, 01:45 PM
thats my color idea ill be posting more soon and video happy swimming ttfn

Spindrift
10-31-2011, 02:37 PM
I like the look of the long side fins better. Good luck.

undine
11-01-2011, 12:29 AM
On which one ? and yes i would love feed back. also i was thinking of air brushing with glow in the dark colors for the fin and fluck extras for a nice effect

Spindrift
11-01-2011, 12:36 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/v2u4u8.jpg

I like the side fins on this one.
As for glow and the dark paint - please make sure that you research which paints you are using. Most of them are toxic and will leach in the water (or will have lead) - I've done a ton of research on it.

AniaR
11-01-2011, 10:20 AM
eeee, I am stalking this thread, such cool ideas

Mermaid Saphira
11-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Your drawings are amazing! I'm so excited to see your tail. I can't do my tail for possibly another year or so I'm just sooo busy! Best of luck to you : )

undine
11-01-2011, 05:08 PM
thank you so much. i am sewing it tonight but i don t know how i can adhise the monofin to the fabric

taom
11-01-2011, 11:15 PM
I love that design. It is so unique and absolutely GORGEOUS!!

undine
11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/20tfqpy.jpg

undine
11-02-2011, 09:40 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/15ceybt.jpg

undine
11-02-2011, 09:43 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/zqpsw.jpg

undine
11-02-2011, 09:45 PM
i just order more sequin it came up to 45.50

undine
11-02-2011, 09:48 PM
im going to my families home in ohio i cant wait to swim in our 50ft indoor pool. i also will be filming me in it so coming soon

taom
11-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Wow! I am totally impressed with how much detail you are putting into your planning process. It's really inspiring! Your tail is looking excellent so far!!!

Spindrift
11-02-2011, 10:43 PM
This is looking very promising! :)

undine
11-03-2011, 12:03 AM
thank u i try to look at it from all angles and i also have to think about how functional it is

undine
11-03-2011, 12:08 AM
i want to book hannah mermaid for my south beach new years party so bad

Mermaid Saphira
11-04-2011, 07:41 PM
OOOO! I can't wait to see more! YEAH! :D

undine
11-05-2011, 03:44 PM
i got my liquid nails today fluck fin day lol images coming tonight .send more comments

Mermaid Saphira
11-05-2011, 08:21 PM
PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!! Yea :D

Vicky Lynne
11-06-2011, 10:37 PM
I've added many shell-shaped sequins to my tail by sewing them on; one by one. It was tedious work, but I was able to make sure that each sequin was securely fastened to the fabric. They made no difference in my ability to swim. They catch the light very nicely and are worth the time and effort to sew onto the tail.
-Vicky Lynne

undine
11-07-2011, 09:40 AM
really what did u do about the ect fins and like the dorsal fin how did u glue it on or sew it on

undine
11-17-2011, 10:25 AM
hello mermaid family sorry been out of town and also been very busy on my tail i started sewing the sequins on fluck but do u know what i love about new york ? becuz when i was out of town i took my neoprene to crystal cleaners on myrtle broadway and for the price of 50 bucks he sewed its to geather with the zippers and waist belt and also the fluck zipper and i love it ill be posting pics
also going to the caymen islands with my new tail so exited

Mermaid Saphira
11-17-2011, 04:14 PM
ohh caymen islands! Please show pics of your tail! :)

Mermaid Saphira
12-11-2011, 09:57 AM
^ That is incredible! How on earth do you have the patience?? LOL :)

undine
12-11-2011, 09:58 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/123w904.jpg

Mermaid Saphira
12-11-2011, 10:04 AM
^ Boy you get back fast! Are you already sitting there? :) The tail is looking great! May I ask how you did the fringe (I assume it's office matting but...)

Mermaid Shelly
12-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Such a work of art! I have so much respect for mers that have the patience and fortitude to hand-sew sequins. Gosh, it is such a labor of love and it shows! Beautiful :)

thelocalmermaid
01-15-2012, 05:23 AM
looks amazing! i've just started this journey as well! got some neoprene, and sequins!! but by the looks of yours, i'm going to need a BILLION MORE! :P

quick question, I have 12 mm sequins, and they are much smaller than what I would want to use.. are you using 12 as well? they look small to me, but my perception could be off.
Ideally I would like to be using 20mm sequins, but I have searched everywhere and cannot find ANY sign of larger sequins.. but I know they're out there!!! GRRR..

otherwise, this tail is amazing and is going to be so wonderful!!! LOVING THE PICTURES! :)

merboy78xy
01-15-2012, 01:31 PM
You know, spandexworld in NYC has AMAZING selection of ALL KINDS of spandex already sequined... does that not appeal? It'd be a HELL of a lot less work to just buy the fabric and sew it together as opposed to doing it all by hand. Tho I understand that you may want something more specific. In which case, you may not have a choice.
As far as large sequins.. I know there are also plenty of trim shops in the fashion district that have huge selections of sequins... but I'm not sure they have an online web presence... check out:
www.bqtrimmings.com
as a start?

AniaR
01-15-2012, 02:23 PM
I have often wondered about beading a mermaid tail having seen some elaborate piece at the gallery where I work. Those sequins look great, man now I want a sequinned tail. lol

Anita Mermaid
01-19-2012, 04:31 AM
I can't wait for this mer to post more! I WANNA SEE THAT CAYMAN ISLANDS VIDEO XDDDD

Mermaid Saphira
01-19-2012, 03:49 PM
^ Absolutly!!!!! :D

Mermaid Nyla
02-24-2012, 06:58 PM
wow! you work is so inspiring :D i am also starting a sequined tail but i won't be covering the entire thing, kinduv like hannah mermaids signature blue tail. i am also going to be using the rubber floor matting for the back fins. super excited! I've already purchased the mono fin and 4mm neoprene.

here is a quick sketch of my tail

you can't really see it, but i will be using the matting on the fluke as well as the back. :)

Nim
02-25-2012, 09:16 AM
absolutely beautiful!!!!

Mermaid Saphira
02-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Wow @.@

MafaldaMermaid
02-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Oh my god! I'm starting to sew sequins as well, on my tail from MagicTail!
This inspires me a lot! Thank you for posting this :D

Mermaid Annariea
02-26-2012, 01:22 AM
wow :D
since we're on the subject of sequins on our tails, i thought id put up the sketch i made of my tail design.
http://briannamermaid.deviantart.com/#/d4jms7k
its based off of a purple fire dartfish (as says the label haha), although i have since made some changes to it in my mind, and havent gotten to putting it down on paper yet. like, around the side seams and the back dorsal fringe, its going to have red and purple sequins (fading into each other as it looks in the fringe, and theyre going to fade out into clear iridescent sequins, which will show the natural light tan color of the fabric, which will be neoprene. same thing with the fluke, it will be sequined a lot at the bottom where there's fringe, and then itll fade up into clear ones.
im quite excited about making this tail, i just have to somehow acquire money. -sigh- all travel and no work make me a broke girl. lol.

Mermaid Nyla
02-26-2012, 02:21 AM
Cool idea! That's going to look so cool with the sequins slowly fading out. I also like the red you used on the dorsal fins :)

Mermaid Saphira
02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
wow :D
since we're on the subject of sequins on our tails, i thought id put up the sketch i made of my tail design.
http://briannamermaid.deviantart.com/#/d4jms7k
its based off of a purple fire dartfish (as says the label haha), although i have since made some changes to it in my mind, and havent gotten to putting it down on paper yet. like, around the side seams and the back dorsal fringe, its going to have red and purple sequins (fading into each other as it looks in the fringe, and theyre going to fade out into clear iridescent sequins, which will show the natural light tan color of the fabric, which will be neoprene. same thing with the fluke, it will be sequined a lot at the bottom where there's fringe, and then itll fade up into clear ones.
im quite excited about making this tail, i just have to somehow acquire money. -sigh- all travel and no work make me a broke girl. lol.

That is a really neat tail! :D

Mermaid Annariea
02-29-2012, 06:33 PM
thanks guys :D
i cant wait to get started on it.

Mermaid Saphira
02-29-2012, 06:37 PM
^ ur welcome ;)

MermaidSarah
08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Interesting design! :)

That reminds me I should start drawing out my designs.It's always nice to see how creative mermaids get with their tails.I'm thinking about doing a koi sequined tail myself.I love koi fish for some odd reason.Maybe because my neighbors have a koi fish pond and when I was a kid I would sit on the side and watch them swim around.Their body movement is fascinating.But I digress hehehe Sorry for the random rambling lol

Mer_Adella
08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I have actually considered doing this after thinking about what I want my tail to look like. I talked with my mom and she said that if you sew the sequins onto a seperate (same color) piece of spandex/swimsuit material, reinforce the back stitches with waterproof glue and then sew it onto the actual tail form of spandex/swimsuit material, it will hold better. To prove to me that it will work..she took apart an old swim suit of mine and showed me that that was how actual swimsuits with sequins were made. I think it would work like that and it will be my winter project for next summer.

Mer_Adella
08-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Mermaid Nyla,

how are you using the matting as fringe? I have looked throughout the forums and no one really explains what material it is and how they use it. also for the fins/fluke?

Spindrift
08-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Mermaid Nyla,

how are you using the matting as fringe? I have looked throughout the forums and no one really explains what material it is and how they use it. also for the fins/fluke?

I'm pretty sure it's stated a lot throughout the forum that the fringe is shelf liner. And I believe most people just glue it on. I would suggest sanding the attachment part first though, so that it will stick better, if you are choosing to do this.

Sea Pearl
08-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I love sequin tails! Keep us updated with photos :) It looks like it's going to be lovely.

Mer_Adella
08-29-2012, 08:01 AM

here are 2 different designs I made I like them both but I think I will be doing the red and black on first. More to come :D

Mermaid Saphira
09-03-2012, 09:18 AM
I really like both of them! However, I am a fan of purple and blue together ;)

Mer_Adella
09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
6097Design 1
6098Design 2
6099Design 3

which one?

Spindrift
09-07-2012, 09:31 AM
I like it without the black.

Mer_Adella
09-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Thansk spindrift...I did too. The flash of my camera kind of distorted the color of the fabric a little since it is shiny. Its a bright fuscia. I am thinking of a lot of sequins at the base of the tail before the fluke starts and more at my hips and them dissapating throughout the tail. but I am not sure. My fabric should be here by monday. Then my mom will take a little time to trace, cut and sew it together then I can play around with the sequins on the actual tail to see how I would like them to lay.

Mermaid Saphira
10-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I am currently trying to decide if I show make my next tail with lumiere paint or sequins... or even a mix of both!

Mer_Adella
10-25-2012, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=
Keep in mind you will need to sew each sequin individually- meaning you'll need to knot off your thread for each sequin you sew on. This makes things very time consuming but better to make the sequins secure. You'll have to do repairs for broken, missing, and sequins that have separated from their color film. Individual knotting makes this easier, plus if sequins break off and the thread is exposed and you have it as one piece and it breaks there goes a crap ton of your work, ya know?
[/QUOTE]

When doing my belly dance costumes I used this method (might be different depending on what kind of sequins you are using. so keep in mind this is how i used to sew sequins on that were round and had a center hole.

1. take your first sequin and hold it to the "start" point. knot your thread and enter on the opposite side of the showing sequin directly in the center.
2. pull the thread through until the knot is secure against the back of the fabric.
3. poke through the fabric on the left side of the sequin.
4. pull through, and put your needle through the center again.
5. pull through and put needle through on the right side.
6. pull through and place your next sequin on the right side of the other sequin just over lapping a bit.
7. repeat process but instead of going to the left of the sequin throug the fabric, loop your needle and thread throug the thread on the sequin on the left.

this gives each sequin a strong hold so that they wont move around while swimming. that is how i made most of my dance costumes that were filled with sequins.

otherwise: if you did sew each individual one it would give them a sense of motion (which could be interesting to see but you also dont want your scales to flop around when they are supposed to be "attached to your tail"

but that is my opinion and advice

Moonflower
10-31-2012, 02:02 PM
My I also suggest that, if you haven't started already, you don't use spandex for this project? The weight of the sequins in water will cause an incredible amount of drag, causing the spandex to balloon and become distorted. A sturdy fabric like neoprene would be a much better base for all your hard work.

Ayla of Duluth
10-31-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm curious, how hard is it to hand sew sequins onto neoprene? It seems like it would be quite a challenge seeing as you have a layer of rubber to punch through as well as two separate layers of fabric as well. does the rubber grab onto the needle and make it hard to hand sew? or are you supposed to use a lubricant like you would if you were using a machine?

Spindrift
10-31-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm curious, how hard is it to hand sew sequins onto neoprene? It seems like it would be quite a challenge seeing as you have a layer of rubber to punch through as well as two separate layers of fabric as well. does the rubber grab onto the needle and make it hard to hand sew? or are you supposed to use a lubricant like you would if you were using a machine?

I didn't think it was difficult at all. My needle went through the neoprene rubber really easily and I didn't use any lubricant.

starlite
11-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm sewing my first 3 mm neopren tail, i have a standart needle, and i have no problem at all. It is covered of nylon on both side. Tomorrow i will post picture there. I also have no problem for the sequin.

Mer_Adella
11-05-2012, 11:39 AM
I was curious if there is anything special you have to do if you sew through the neoprene. I mean as far as sewing the sequins on your going to have your thread on the inside of the tail. Is there a specific glue/sealer/etc to put on the thread to keep it from breaking, unraveling, or anything else?

Morticia Mermaid
11-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I've been told to not sew all the way through the neoprene when sewing on sequins because the thread creates a ton of tiny holes that makes the neoprene break down

Mer_Adella
11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Ok well that answers that...so its just a guessing game then on how far your should go down or what? lol

Morticia Mermaid
11-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I'd only go far enough to catch a tiny bit of the rubber, but not all the way through... If that makes any sense

starlite
11-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Mer Adela do you have a picture of the way you sew your sequin please ?

Mer_Adella
11-06-2012, 10:59 AM

basically this is it

sorry for the crappy "Paint" drawings. not as good on paint as i am on others

starlite
11-06-2012, 11:40 AM
that's perfect :-) big thanks !

Please how many sequins did you buy for ? How tall are you ? Because i have 12000 sequins and i don't know if it's enough...?

Moonflower
11-07-2012, 12:12 PM
It was suggested to me at the dive shop I'd inquired in about buying neoprene that using a nylon thread (upholstery thread) is better to use on anything used in the water on a regular basis, as cotton thread can break down over time from the constant wet then dry then wet then dry of use.

Mer_Adella
11-08-2012, 09:50 AM
I think i had like 2600 sequins, BUT i didn't cover my whole tail in sequins and still have a few left over... i am actually considering gluing more sequins on...

i have this idea in my head...i am going to buy a tail soon but i wanted to keep myself busy with tail making (crafts lets just say) so i am thinking of gluing more sequins on (since i have some left over and i fell my tail looks weird with "spots" of sequins) and then taking those orange stripes off the fluke, unstitching the fluke, cutting it down, resewing it and painting it with lumiere paint..... anyone think thats good or bad? if you look at my sig video my fluke to me looks too long :(

Jadestone
11-08-2012, 12:09 PM
To be honest, I actually really like the "spotted" look you have going on! And the seem to really catch the light in the vid in your sig! You remind me of the fish from the book The Rainbow Fish (: Anyone else love that book as a kid?
http://www.ticketloot.com/content_images/rainbow%20fish_orig.jpg
(hard to tell in the pic but the speckly-looking scales are actually shiny/sparkly).

I think my next tail may be a sequin tail :)

I think you could modify the fluke without having to change the rest of the tail if that's what you decide you want to go for.

Mer_Adella
11-08-2012, 12:16 PM
ya the fluke is just my main issue. but i have an event scheduled in januray with little kids and i am not quite sure how to answer them if they ask why i only have a few "scales" that was just my idea to add more sequins. i might just cover in a few of the bare spots but not real sure

Jadestone
11-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Hmm. Maybe you could make up a story? Say, you're shedding your old scales so new ones can grow in in time for spring :) Or maybe temporarily losing some scales is just what happens when mermaids spend time on land, and that's why you don't see many of them ;) Or you can always just say that's the way they grow. No one can tell you you're wrong!

Up to you, whatever you decide--I'm sure it will turn out lovely.

MermaidLana
04-16-2017, 10:03 AM
1) DO NOT use spandex. The fabric is to thin and cannot hold sequins. Use 2mm neoprene, it works much better!
2) Sew your sequins on, but with a zigzag stitch. You can otherwise get to many holes and the sequins might break underwater!
3)It's heavy to lift, but in the water it works awesome and so smooth!
4)I'm getting as much information as I can before making my sequin tail, but I know so much, I can always belp you!

-Lots of love! <3