PDA

View Full Version : corrugated plastic board as monofin?

Scilla Mermaid
06-17-2013, 03:41 AM
Hi,

I been thinking of using corrugated plastic board as monofins...not sure able to do it anot anyone try before?

merline
06-17-2013, 06:33 AM
try and let us know. Hope it won't be too brittle/fragile

Mermaid~Abby
07-09-2014, 10:34 AM
I've been thinking about this too! Have you tried it?

ShyMer
07-09-2014, 11:34 AM
This has been tried before- the problem is that once it bends, it's useless :( the first fishbutts tails were made with corregated plastic to cut costs, but they failed very quickly. You might make something work if it has enough layers, but that might be expensive, bulky, and can still fail. It sucks, but there aren't many good shortcuts for monofins.

Remember that any material you pick has to be able to return to its original shape, flex without snapping/creasing, and be strong enough to push you through the water. It should also be nonabsorbent, obviously.

A rubber door mat will bend without snapping, but it won't return to a flat shape in the water. Because of that, it won't be strong enough to push you through the water.

Acrylic sheet/plexiglass will keep its shape, but it can't bend far without shattering. It's also dangerous as the edges tend to be sharp and hard to find in the water.

Some people use cardboard and duct tape, which is cheap, but has the same problems as the corrugated plastic. It can still get wet, too, and then it's ruined.
Some people have made do with bi fins, but the shape isn't as nice.

Lexan is expensive, but it's really the best option for a diy monofin.

Mermaid Enora
07-09-2014, 02:31 PM
I made a DIY mono fin from lexan and it works great. It has a lot of push through the water.

Aquarianne
07-09-2014, 09:32 PM
What about as an addition to a monofin, if you're building a latex fluke over it and need some support in the sides of the fluke where there isn't a monofin underneath?

Mermaid Enora
07-09-2014, 09:55 PM
I cut my lexan in the exact shape that i wanted for the entire fluke.
It seems to work fine being one large piece. I haven't tried it out long term though since I'm
normally dressed as a fairy and just recently added mermaiding to the list of costumes I do.

Aquarianne
07-09-2014, 10:06 PM
What's the difference between lexan and the regular clear plastic sheeting you can get at the hardware store? is it more flexible?

Raayvhen
07-09-2014, 10:17 PM
If I remember correctly, the regular stuff shatters quite easily.

Mermaid Enora
07-09-2014, 10:29 PM
very true I tested out some regular plastic and one drop on the floor shattered the corners.

Lexan is insanely flexible and always returns to its original position. It also has enough strength to bend and push in the water without breaking. It's flexible enough to bend over on it self burrito style, not break, and then snap right back into place. The makers claim it's virtually unbreakable.
As a fun extra its also bulletproof.

Aquarianne
07-09-2014, 10:34 PM
"This summer, Enora is...BULLETPROOF MERMAID."

XD

Sounds like I definitely want a sheet of lexan, then! :D is there anywhere to buy it that's not online, or is online the way to go?

Mermaid Enora
07-09-2014, 10:45 PM
haha……bulletproof!!
You can get it at home depot or lowes.
It comes in varying shapes so if you want you can go and see which size and price
fits you best. I got the 2nd largest sheet for $70.
The cheapest sheet is maybe $20, but its quite small.
I have some extra lexan left over and I'm going to try to make a practice fin out of it.

Mermaid Wesley
07-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Home Depot and lowes carry it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Enora
07-09-2014, 10:46 PM
keep in mind it does require a jig saw to cut it

PearlieMae
07-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Do a search on the network for Lexan monofins. DON'T use regular acrylic, it will shatter and cut you! Home Depot has 36 " x 48" sheets, I haven't seen it at Lowes.

It is very hard to break, but it will! I've broken two so far...I picked up an 18" x 24" piece on my way home tonight, but it's too small and it's going back.

Aquarianne
07-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Awesome, glad I can get it locally! I have a massive amount of power tools and I knows how to use em, so no worries there. I don't need much, just a little bit to finish the edges around the monofin. Thanks guys!! :D