PDA

View Full Version : Spray bottle with fabric ink?

MerAnthony
06-18-2013, 09:40 AM
I am going to dress up my spandex tail I got from Mermaid Morticia an I made a plactic pattern on a good size sheet. Now I have Speed Ball screen printing ink an it is water based. If I water it down enough to go through spray water bottle would it work to spray over a pattern? Could this work or would this work? An has anybody tried this before?

ShyMer
06-18-2013, 11:11 AM
I've of my watercolor teachers sometimes used spray bottles to make gradations. It won't be as fine of a spray as airbrush, and you'll need to take care to blend it enough, but the technique might be interesting.
I wonder, how thick is screen printing ink? Maybe dissolve it in a small amount of water first and then add it to the rest to avoid chunks of paint floating about in your spray bottle.
Wal-Mart has some small spray bottles in the health and beauty section of my store. They don't last very long, but they should do. I'd get the kind with the adjustable sprayer if I were you.

Test it out and see if it works!

MerAnthony
06-18-2013, 11:20 AM
The ink is pretty thick. Almost like jello pudding before it fully hardens. I just want to use it as a base coat, then touch up when dry.

Mermaid Allie
06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
I posted some of my designs for it on your other thread like you asked!

Mermaid Lilium
06-18-2013, 06:29 PM
http://www.fabricspray.co.uk/fabric-spray-paint I've seen people paint tshirts in multi-colour 'ombre' styles with these. No idea if these would be of any use?

MerAnthony
06-18-2013, 07:33 PM
I was thinking about these earlier, but how would they work on spandex? Our local Wal-Mart sell them.

Mermaid Lilium
06-20-2013, 02:52 PM
I was thinking about these earlier, but how would they work on spandex? Our local Wal-Mart sell them.

No idea, might be worth testing out though =)

Ponytales
06-20-2013, 06:51 PM
They're mostly made to work on cotton like for airbrush-look tshirts. It might work on spandex, though if you have a spare chunk floating around that you can spray, then stress-test it might help figure out the technique needed to get it the way you want. By stress-test I mean, spray it, let it dry, put the test piece in water and stretch/twist it to see how well the paint holds up in water.

MerAnthony
06-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Pony when Mermaid Morticia sent me my tail she also sent the extra fabric with it. I have enough fabric to make a full one piece (shoulder to crotch) swimsuit. Both gold an the royal blue. plus a little more.

Little_Orca
06-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I used a spray on my dark blue tail to get a scaled look. It is not very visible since the fabric was so dark and even using the white-and-glitter type of paint from the spray it didn't show more than just a little bit:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/My%20Mermaid%20Tail/Scales.jpg

On a lighter fabric it may work better. You can see how it looked on the paper next to the tail.

MerAnthony
06-24-2013, 09:59 AM
I used a spray on my dark blue tail to get a scaled look. It is not very visible since the fabric was so dark and even using the white-and-glitter type of paint from the spray it didn't show more than just a little bit:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/My%20Mermaid%20Tail/Scales.jpg

On a lighter fabric it may work better. You can see how it looked on the paper next to the tail.

How did it hold up in water? Did it come off in anyway?