PDA

View Full Version : I got hooked! :3

Seyani
06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Hello there,

I'm new to this world. And I'm glad I found it ..
I'm Seyani, 22 years old and I live in the Netherlands :3

I've always loved mermaids as a child and I still do, loved drawing them or try to swim like a dolphin/mermaid in the pools. After I watched the Little Mermaid, Splash or Blue Lagoon and began to love the waters, oceans more and more and I would love to some day swim with the sea creatures and learn to free dive.
When I was 6 years old I went to Malaysia for the first time to visit my family there. We went to the ocean and dear god, how beautiful that was. I'll never ever forget. I swam in the water till my skin was all pruney and still didn't want to get out. I've never had such a bad sunburn either, you could peel off my skin afterwards but it was all worth it. I remember diving for shells and even saw fish swimming near me and I tried to find them under water but they're fast :3
*sigh* Some day I'll have my tail ready *or atleast the mono fin* and I would want to swim there again, for sure.

What started my interest or what I like most of them? I don't know.. I guess what started my interest was the ocean .. The sea.. My dad used to have aquariums with colorful fish and that started my interest in the sea creatures. I read books about them in the library because I was fascinated by the underwater world. Not long after that I saw ofcourse, Ariel the Little Mermaid.... Haha and after that came my first mermaid Barbie doll, soo pretty. Her tail changed colors in cold and warm water ;D .. What I like about mermaids is the magic, fairy tale like stories and how they move in the water with such grace. But most of ALL, is how they can swim in the sea with no care, flying freely, weightless along with the magnificent life you have there. I just can't imagine how that would feel like, to have for example a sea turtle swimming next to you. That is magic to me.
Also, I love the folklores, myths and legends. Not only of mermaids but all myths and legends. Mermaids are mentioned in all cultures all over the world, it's interesting.

Till a week ago or so, I never thought of being a mermaid.. I thought that it was only possible in movies haha and I never even thought of constructing a tail, just make one yourself! *facepalm* It was Hannah Fraser that I saw first and inspired me so much. After hearing that she makes her own tails she showed me that it IS possible :3 I have respect for her because I have seen the docu The Cove before, without knowing that it was Hannah the Mermaid who took part in the docu aswell. After Hannah I've discovered a lot of amazing Mermaids out there <3.

I've always wanted to have a mono fin, because swimming like a dolphin under water is so fast! Even when you are not using a monofin. I can't wait to feel what it's like to have one on and.. Fly through water~
I don't have any tails yet but I'm going to make one, hopefully soon, depends on how I'm doing financially ._. First I'd need my monofin and I'll probably go for a Rapid to start with. *nodnod* I've made some sketches to get some ideas for the shape and frills etc. Not sure about what color I should do though O.O It's such a creative hobby and work of art, I think it's a great way to work on my portfolio too for art school.
I'll probably start with a neoprene tail, paint it and sow sequins on it .. :3 I can't wait to get started .. *bounce* I need a sowing machine too mwhaha ._."
Oh well, ... That's about it..I think :3

I'm so excited to have found this new adventure and in meeting you all :3 *wavewaves*

Her love,

Seyani.

Seyani
06-19-2013, 05:23 AM
Err.. sorry for the long intro ._."

Scilla Mermaid
06-19-2013, 05:25 AM
welcome :)

Seyani
06-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Yay thank you <3

MerAnthony
06-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Welcome. When you make up your mind to make a tail there is a ton of information to help or if you are to buy one. An don't be afraid to ask questions we are here to help.

Spindrift
06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Hello! I don't think there is anything wrong with a long intro!

Spindrift
06-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Also, Malaysia is beautiful! I remember watching bioluminescent waves crash onto shore at night, one of the times I visited.

Seyani
06-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Thank you so much ^^
No worries, I'll definetly ask plenty of questions I'm sure ;) because I'd like to make my own tail :3
Can't wait to get started. I've made some sketches in finding my tail that'll fit me. :D

Seyani
06-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Also, Malaysia is beautiful! I remember watching bioluminescent waves crash onto shore at night, one of the times I visited.

Thank you for not minding the long intro and reading it ^^. When I was there I remember walking on the beach at night after watching the sunset and taking pictures with the family x3 and the water seem to shimmer and glow from the moon and stars with the last rays of sun. It was beautiful there.. Trying to save up to visit again ._. <3 mwahaha

AniaR
06-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Long Intros are great. Welcome to the forum! We like to get to know, new mermaids!

Seyani
06-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Hehe goodie :3 Like your gif btw~

WavyMermaidy
06-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Welcome Seyani!

I have to say, even though it's not technically a mermaid movie The Blue Lagoon is one of my favorites. It's very cool that it was an inspiration for you to love the ocean!! Hope you enjoy it here...it's pretty amazing when you find out something you love so much - the dream of being a mermaid - is shared and lived by others around the world. :)

Echidna
06-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Hello and welcome!
Your intro is a good read :)

You are fortunate to have family in malaysia; the water there is fantastic to swim in.
Also; I recommend getting a monofin asap.
You can then start training to swim underwater/freedive, and worry about a tail later :)

Seyani
06-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Welcome Seyani!

I have to say, even though it's not technically a mermaid movie The Blue Lagoon is one of my favorites. It's very cool that it was an inspiration for you to love the ocean!! Hope you enjoy it here...it's pretty amazing when you find out something you love so much - the dream of being a mermaid - is shared and lived by others around the world. :)

Hello there and thanks! And yeah.. It's not a mermaid movie but it's one of my favorite movies. I guess it was just the way how they lived with the ocean that I admired so much. No need to have a tail hehe but it would be beautiful to have one mewhehe >:3 It's definitely amazing to know that there are so many people pursuing this mermaid dream and that you can actually join them. Also I think it's really creative work and art to make your own tail and very inspiring to see mermaids around here :D Making me all itchy to draw more~

WavyMermaidy
06-19-2013, 06:44 PM
I know what you mean about Blue Lagoon and the relationship of the characters to the ocean...very complicated relationship but beautiful!!!

Yeah, my first tail (of 2, soon to be 3) was one I made myself. I never thought of myself as being very crafty but I really loved the process and ended up loving the tail that I made as well. I've used it so much it's starting to need a little repair work which I haven't gotten around to doing, but it was such a worthwhile experience. I have designed my 2nd and 3rd tail and still make my own tops and accessories, and that's a fun experience too if that is something you are interested in. It sure gets the creative juices going, even if you are like me and didn't know you had the juices to begin with :D

Good luck whenever you are able to start working on a tail!!! And I agree, getting a monofin first is an awesome way to go. You'd be amazed how awed people are by the monofin alone, almost as interesting to them as a full on mermaid tail :)

Seyani
06-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Hello and welcome!
Your intro is a good read :)

You are fortunate to have family in malaysia; the water there is fantastic to swim in.
Also; I recommend getting a monofin asap.
You can then start training to swim underwater/freedive, and worry about a tail later :)

Helloo there! I'm glad you found it a good read O.O~
I do feel very lucky to have actually been there once, even though it has been years ago. I'm glad that I have family there, it's so pretty but unfortunately a bit far away from where I live now, hopefully soon I get the change to actually save up to go there~ The water is warm there.. I can't remember having it cold in the water, it was like a HUGE warm bath to swim in :3
*bounces up and down* I really can't wait to order my monofin, because Id like to swim in it and practice my swimming and stuff, because I haven't been swimming much the last years due to personal ...issues <.<", I really could use the practice. I'm actually going to the pool tomorrow, Aquadrome. The last time I've been there was with my cousins, I was 12 years old? I can't wait to swim and glide under water again like I used to do. I kept asking my bf when we're going swimming and finally he said "Fine, tomorrow" :D
No monofin yet but I can work on my dolphin kick ;D

Thank you all for the warm welcomes <3

Seyani
06-19-2013, 06:50 PM
I know what you mean about Blue Lagoon and the relationship of the characters to the ocean...very complicated relationship but beautiful!!!

Yeah, my first tail (of 2, soon to be 3) was one I made myself. I never thought of myself as being very crafty but I really loved the process and ended up loving the tail that I made as well. I've used it so much it's starting to need a little repair work which I haven't gotten around to doing, but it was such a worthwhile experience. I have designed my 2nd and 3rd tail and still make my own tops and accessories, and that's a fun experience too if that is something you are interested in. It sure gets the creative juices going, even if you are like me and didn't know you had the juices to begin with :D

Good luck whenever you are able to start working on a tail!!! And I agree, getting a monofin first is an awesome way to go. You'd be amazed how awed people are by the monofin alone, almost as interesting to them as a full on mermaid tail :)

Hehe I was actually telling people (since I can't get my mouth shut about my new found ...desires ;D) that I've always wanted a monofin...but that I actually NEVER saw ANYONE with one... So yeah, people will look flabbergasted with a monofin alone ... Let alone when I have a tail finished... I probably scare the pool or lake/where I am all empty, people running away screaming O.O" Because now.. I live in a small town, not even a city or so.. I wonder how they would take the tail. I'll need to record it, for sure.. *daydreams...*

Seyani
06-20-2013, 03:41 AM
Here's a drawing I made of a mermaid :3 It's pretty old and only the outlines.
I was planning on coloring her u.u

http://imageshack.us/a/img835/9530/ni6t.jpg

Alveric
06-20-2013, 12:11 PM
A very pretty image!

Seyani
06-20-2013, 12:26 PM
^___^ Thank you~

I took a picture of the drawing with my phone u.u no working scanner.

Mermaid Danielle
07-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Welcome!