PDA

View Full Version : How much liquid latex?

MermaidAubrin
08-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm about to head out to the store to get some liquid latex and I'm wondering how much I need for my tail and mermaid top

Winged Mermaid
08-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Be sure you buy slip casting latex AND latex thickener. I believe people said they needed 2-3 cases for a regular tail. A case of ALEX has 121.2 fl oz of material. A gallon has 128 fl oz, so 2-3 gallons. Make sure you keep your receipt in case you have an extra gallon left over.

Spindrift
08-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Is the ratio of latex to thickener 1:1?

Winged Mermaid
08-28-2011, 03:16 PM
No. Thickeners vary seller to seller- some are liquid, some are jell, some are powder, ect. From what I gather gel is the best. I've done my research and whatever type it is specifies the amount to use (and you can always use more if it isn't thick enough), but it's stuff that takes very little. Sold in tiny containers, all that.

Spindrift
08-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks :) I have two talis that I'm happy with so I'll keep this info for a future one :)

taom
08-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Neotail said something like this would do: http://www.amazon.com/AeroMarine-Liquid-Making-Rubber-gallons/dp/B0047R4CK6/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

According to him, that should be enough for a regular sized tail.

inactive account
08-29-2011, 07:38 AM
'According to him', Did I send you that specific link?. I would'nt use that Latex I would be safe and go for some Slip cast latex like Winged Mermaid said and she's pretty much got it all figured out , Good luck with your tail's merpeople, Remember I'm always here if you need any help or tips on creating a Latex tail you can just PM me, But please dont be rude, Thank's:)

taom
10-15-2011, 03:19 PM
No, no! The according to you bit was about the amount needed, not the product. I apologize for the confusion! I was not intending to be rude. I found what you had told me helpful and informative and was merely attempting to pass the knowledge on to the wider community. Again, I am deeply sorry if you found any offense at my words. No harm was intended.

inactive account
10-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Oh nononononononononooooo, I did not find you rude I meant People can send me messages as long as they are not rude to me in the messages :)

taom
11-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Oh! Ok, good! Whew! I was really upset at the thought of, well, upsetting you. XD

Also, that you soooooo much for pointing out my mistake! If you hadn't, I would have gone and bought the COMPLETELY wrong substance and that would probably have ending in disaster. Thank you again!!!

Ally
04-03-2012, 12:33 AM
So would half a gallon of thickener per tail be correct?