PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know your facebook fan page A GUIDE

AniaR
06-23-2013, 08:50 PM
A Facebook fan page can really help launch your mermaid career. But sometimes, they can be confusing. Especially with all the facebook changes! Here, I show you how to adjust some common settings to make the most out of your facebook fan page!

First of all, you can view your page after it is created either as your personal profile, or your page! When viewing as your personal profile, you can do all of the same things as when viewing as your page. When you view as your page however, whatever you comment on that's NOT on your page, will be signed by your FB page. This is a great way to network with other professionals.

In this screen cap, you can see how I have my personal page, but I also run my own, and am an admin for several others (including my sisters!) You'll see those notification numbers that let you know how many notifications you have that are unread.

Now, before you get too crazy with your page, let's take a look at some important settings you may wish to adjust first! Weather it's for privacy, or networking!
In the main above menu, you'll see many options. We're going to start with the "edit" function.

When you click on edit, this is the default page you will see. You can change these settings, to change your reach, or how things are manages! You can unpublish your page while you work on it, and then publish it when it's finished. You can set an age restriction if you feel your content is not appropriate for teens. You can restrict your page so only certain countries can view it, or block certain countries from viewing it. Neither of those things will help you get fans. You can select if others can tag themselves in your photos, post to your wall, send you messages etc. You can set your profanity settings. For anyone working with kids I suggest strong. This will AUTOMATICALLY hide posts with strong profanity. You can also add a list of words or names to the moderation list and it'll also automatically hide any content consisting of those words that users post. (Good if you don't want people to post certain things that offend you or you're afraid will offend your fans).

After you change those settings, I am going to SUGGEST that you skip down to FEATURED. Once you click Featured you will see this:

There's a few things important about this. The top box, simply allows you to feature other pages you like on your facebook. But that bottom box? IT IDENTIFIES WHO YOU ARE ON YOUR PERSONAL ACCOUNT TO YOUR FANPAGE. And it's very often defaulted to be turned ON when you first create a page. This means the "Page Owner" box will appear on your "Info" section of your facebook page.

So yeah, there you go. If this is selected, you will have a box on your facebook fan page that SHOWS and LINKS to your PERSONAL facebook profile as the owner of the page. That whole "FB doesn't even do that" is a lie. It's right there, and if you don't want a bunch of creepers adding you, I suggest making sure that box is unchecked ;) It also shows up on your personal page that you own this page, and if your "info" on your personal page is selected to be public, then it'll show up there. With so many of us being harassed by merverts, or wanting to keep our mermaid lives separate from our real lives, you want to have that deselected. However, you might enjoy having it selected if you also have a mermaid profile and a page, or if multiple people run your page and want credit or something. It's also great to know it's often defaulted to on, when people try to create pages to harass someone, you can check the "about" to see if this shows up, so you can report their personal profile for creating a page to get around your blocking them.

If it's selected, it'll look like this

which looks like this on your fan page:

and then you get this little notification on your wall and your "about" on your personal profile page that says "Page Owner"

The next thing I'm going to suggest you do, is select "Your settings" at the top page. You'll see this below, with everything automatically checked as a default.
There are pros and cons to having these selected. For the second one, you'll get an email for everything that happens on your page. This is great if you need to prove something, because even if something gets deleted it removed their is still an email record of it. The bottom one is a good one to have selected if you're planning on browsing through the browser on your phone instead of the FB app.

This next link is basic information. It's what'll show up when people click on "about". It's a great place to put your FAQ. If you're starting a page, I suggest using the "Username" function, so your account wont have all the numbers in the url. However, if you have the long url and do this, be aware that all your old FB links on the web will no longer work.
It's all pretty straight forward other than that.

Profile picture is fairly obvious and doesn't really need a screen shot. Just upload one, it'll prompt you to crop it.

Resources is just helpful facebook links

Next we click on "Admin Roles" You'll see yourself, and the opportunity to add others if you created the page.
If you add a manager, you can select what they're able to do. Unless you specify it, your manager will not be able to delete the page. Adding a manager can help if you're going away, on hiatus, or have a PR person helping you out. I don't have someone at the moment.

Clicking the Apps link shows you want apps are installed on your page. It's a bit clunky, and very difficult to add new aps that aren't made by FB. Whatever you select will show up here on your page
It's good to go to that area on your front page, and make sure the video app is there, so fans can find it easier.

you'll see that you also get an email address you can add to your phone contacts when you click "Mobile". Whenever you email a photo or video to that email from your phone, it'll be posted to your timeline on your fanpage. If you try and do it other ways, it'll sometimes only post to your wall as your personal profile. So I suggest adding the email!

After that we have "Insights" which simply shows you how your activity is, and when people like your stuff the most, demographics, etc. This is helpful in deciding what you should post and when.

Help is fairly obvious.

whenever you view your page, the admin panel will pop up. Here I have "Build Audience" selected, and here's how it works,
On the left, you see all your posts, how many people view them, and if you've paid to promote them how well it's doing. On the right, you see you can invite people to your page in a variety of ways. You also get a preview of messages in your inbox if you have the inbox turned on.

This is all I have for you now, but I'll be posting more information soon!

AniaR
06-23-2013, 09:04 PM
EDIT: A bunch of the screen shots messed up, so bare with me while I fix em!

AniaR
06-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Okay, fixed. Silly attachment issues. :p

spottedcatfish
06-24-2013, 04:16 AM
Admins: This post needs to be stickied.

Ariel-Starfish
06-24-2013, 06:04 AM
Thank you for posting this! I have some trouble with my page, scince I made it with another email adress, and not linked to a personal account :/

Cordelia
06-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Wow! Raina, you are awesome! Thanks for the tutorial. :D

AniaR
06-24-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm going to show more FB page tips too, just takes a while to throw a post together, and the attachments get all wonky!

Theobromine
06-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Oh man Raina, this is super helpful and timely. I was just planning on making my own page really soon, and I think I will definitely keep this tutorial open in another tab while I do so! Darn Facebook always makes things so tricky and screws around with your privacy!

AniaR
06-25-2013, 05:05 PM
awesome :) I will certainly add more soon!

AniaR
10-20-2013, 09:45 PM
It's important to note that in 2013 alone, FB pages received 5 updates all which change the way it looks. So even now, the screen shots I have here wont look the exact same as what you see on yours, but the steps are the same. :)

AniaR
02-08-2014, 10:24 PM
NEW CHANGES COMING TO FANPAGES

Arella
03-16-2014, 12:35 PM
This is really helpful thx so much!