PDA

View Full Version : "Mermaid Insurance?" Or what would be the closest thing to it?

Melanie
06-25-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm getting ready to approach some more aquariums as soon as I have my new tail in, but I'm looking for that extra comfort to pitch to them that shows I know what I'm doing. Pictures 25 feet under the water is great, but seeing as I have worked for a theme park before I understand the safety concerns that could come with hiring a mermaid.

Surely there is some kind of insurance I should have? The first thought was diving insurance, but I don't think I can even have that if I'm not diving certified? Do other mers find being scuba certified important? It's not really the same as scuba diving so I've really been debating on if that's something I need to do. I don't feel nearly as comfortable with the idea of scuba diving as I do free diving on my own. I have previously researched "free diving certifications" but I am really getting the impression that that isn't a real thing anyway.

Where should I get insurance? Or is it a matter of convincing the aquarium to hire me as one of their employees so I would be covered under their own insurance? That seems as though it would be a lot more of a hassle to them than if I had my own and just did freelance performing with them. Thanks for any help.

AniaR
06-25-2013, 04:52 PM
You need performers insurance, and you should contact several agencies for a quote and take the best one. You can insure yourself and your tail, or just yourself. Unless you work directly for the aquarium already, it's my understanding from my researching and consulting that you need insurance. I've written a bit about it in my book too ;)

AniaR
06-25-2013, 04:53 PM
also, be sure to specific that it may only be for a specific amount of time. Time is a big factor. You can purchase insurance for 1 gig, or a year. A year full time can run around 1000$/year (broken into monthly payments) but a one shot can be 100 or so.

Melanie
06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Sounds perfect, thanks. (: Figure I'll get all the paperwork and quotes for it so I can tell them I can get it if I perform with them, then probably do it month to month or by gig. I'm still moving around too much between school and work so there's no point in having it an entire year yet.

AniaR
06-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Yeah even I don't do a year, because only a few things of what I do require insurance. Everything else I have people sign waivers.

Melanie
06-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Makes perfect sense. Not much different than needing location waivers when I'm filming. Thanks.

Are companies by states? Or is there someone you would recommend? I know your in Canada so that might make it different. Looks like I'll probably have to call around because I don't think mermaids are too common in NJ haha.

AniaR
06-25-2013, 06:58 PM
I go through a local independent business

Alexander
07-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Dear Melanie I am also searching for these information. I tried many times but could not get satisfactory results. I hope through your discussion i can get it.

Review or your personal and business risk (http://www.accountants-goldcoast.com.au/finance-insurance-planning/)

Mermaid~Summer
08-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Makes perfect sense. Not much different than needing location waivers when I'm filming. Thanks.

Are companies by states? Or is there someone you would recommend? I know your in Canada so that might make it different. Looks like I'll probably have to call around because I don't think mermaids are too common in NJ haha.

Where in NJ are you located? I live in NJ along the PA state line :D

PearlieMae
08-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Start with your car insurance or home owner's insurance company. I'm sure they are always willing to sell more insurance! If not, contact some folks that are professional party clowns or DJs, they may be able to point you in the right direction, and you may make some professional contacts that can recommend you for mermaid gigs! You can find lots of folks on social media like facebook.

I'm in Jersey, too! NYC metro area!

New York Mermaid
08-20-2013, 02:05 AM
if your talking about Jenkinsons aquarium, they don't want anything to do with mermaids other than a land mermaid. A friend of mine who is also a fellow mermaid went over there to speak to the director, not only did he laugh at the idea but explained how they did not want to risk the health of their fish. You guys need to come on over to Coney Island and meet up :D

Mermaid Harmony
12-12-2013, 08:55 PM
I have to buy insurance for a party coming up so i'll let you know what I find.

Spindrift
12-14-2013, 09:08 PM
I would also get the scuba certification too. It'll make you look more professional, and all other divers that work for aquariums are certified.

Seatan
12-14-2013, 09:39 PM
I wonder if mermaiding would fall under my DAN insurance as "skin diving"? Probably not, but I should call them and ask.

Mermaid Harmony
12-14-2013, 10:02 PM
So I haven't gotten my tails insured yet, but I got event insurance through eventhelper.com for an event that needed liability insurance. It ended up costing 114.

MerEmma
12-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Can I ask what kind of event it is/what made it need the insurance? I'm curious whether it's the location or the activities or how many people or what.

anami
08-23-2016, 01:34 PM
I get coverage from clown insurance for a little over $200 a year. Its a group policy shared by performers which makes it so cheap. Tjey cover my fire dancing, stilt walking, aerial work and a portable photbooth contraption art piece....they also insure hypnotists for an additional fee so mermaids might be right up their alley. Ill ask and post what they reply.

anami
08-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Yes specialty insurance agency coverage can include mermaids ;) www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

AniaR
08-24-2016, 08:18 PM
I have to wonder the type of insurance and what it covers though. I pay 130/month and it literally covers everything. loss damage of my tails, injury to a mermaid, injury to someone around mermaids, damage to property that isn't ours by a mermaid, 5 million liability insurance. I feel like a little over 200 year isn't going to cover much.

anami
08-25-2016, 05:16 AM
Its 5 million in liability against property and personal injury. It does not cover tails. Well...hmmm actually I think my portable parlor is covered...so maybe tails are. The reason why its so cheap is its a singular policy shared by thousands of performers. Fun fact, there has never been a claim against a fire dancer in america (this was as of 2012) its for clowns but coveres aerialists, fire dancers, stilt walkers. For instance I walk on broken glass. If someone ignores my many.methods to keep people out of my glass, someone gets curious and cuts themselves, that medical bill is covered. A stilt walker falls in someone...or something. The best part is that I can add additional insured. Like the city im performing in or the venue. Ive gotten to eat fire a lot of places most cant because of that handy feature.

Anyway, my point is no its real insurance and ive been a holder on and off for the last 14 years. Many people I know as well.
Ill shoot them an email and ask about the tail coverage. They are very mom and pop and I think literally a bunch a clowns...I have this quaint picture in my head of an office of clowns... im not sure if they cover outside of the us, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

AniaR
08-26-2016, 05:24 PM
well I had a brain fart when I wrote all this because mine insured 9 people hahahaha