PDA

View Full Version : My Fabric Shell Top

SINicallyTwisted
06-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Hello everyone! Here is my fabric created shell top that I thought I'd share with you all.

There are 4 different types of fabric used to create this.
It's entirely handmade and hand beaded with sequin for a little extra sparkle.
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=12044&d=1372189713

Added a pearlize sheer fabric along the edge to finish it off.http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=12046&d=1372189908

Before and After
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=12047&d=1372189981

And here's a pic of me wearing it.
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=11875&d=1371226961

I made the skirt tail as well. You can see it here...
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?1389-SHoW-Us-YoUR-TaiLS-THReAd!!!&p=76840&viewfull=1#post76840

Echidna
06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
WOW!
Looks stunning!
Proof that great-looking accessories can be made with cloth.

SINicallyTwisted
06-25-2013, 05:23 PM
WOW!
Looks stunning!
Proof that great-looking accessories can be made with cloth.

Thank you! I'm glad you like it! Where there's a will, there's a way. ;)

I made the skirt tail as well.
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?1389-SHoW-Us-YoUR-TaiLS-THReAd!!!&p=76840&viewfull=1#post76840

Cornelia
06-25-2013, 05:49 PM
GREAT!!!!

Echidna
06-29-2013, 09:11 PM
There is another reason why I love this top.

I'm very uncomfortable with the knowledge that all common shelltops are made from real shells,
aka murdered mussels.
While I was looking for faux clams and stuff to merify my belt, to my horror I realized there are billions of shops around the world which all have a huge fundus of dead animals for decoration purposes only- clams, tritons, dried fish, seastars...
it's awful!
How can awareness of nature, and environmentalism, go hand in hand with using such materials for puny embellishments? :(

Therefore, I'm glad you have found a way to make something awesome-looking without having to use killed animals.
I'll try to emulate you when making my things.

AniaR
06-29-2013, 10:24 PM
lovely. And adorable photo!

LittleTreasure
06-30-2013, 12:29 AM
That's so pretty! ^-^

Ariel-Starfish
06-30-2013, 06:29 AM
I need a skirt like that un my life <3

Fathom delMar
06-30-2013, 05:10 PM
There is another reason why I love this top.

I'm very uncomfortable with the knowledge that all common shelltops are made from real shells,
aka murdered mussels.
While I was looking for faux clams and stuff to merify my belt, to my horror I realized there are billions of shops around the world which all have a huge fundus of dead animals for decoration purposes only- clams, tritons, dried fish, seastars...
it's awful!
How can awareness of nature, and environmentalism, go hand in hand with using such materials for puny embellishments? :(

Therefore, I'm glad you have found a way to make something awesome-looking without having to use killed animals.
I'll try to emulate you when making my things.
I can't speak for all places that sell shells, starfish, etc. But as far as I know the majority of them come from *found* items, not "murdered mussels". I am an avid beach comber and the majority of my creations in the past and currently are made from shells and assorted things that I have found myself, on my local beach, washed up on the sand. I didn't go around digging up living clams and oysters, cracking them open, throwing away the meat (WHY would you waste one of the most nutrient-dense foods on this planet??) and all just for some pretty shells. And again, I can't vouch for "shell shacks" as to where they get their shells, starfish, and seahorses, but I don't see anything wrong with using these natural objects if they were found as-is/harvested ethically.... Of course this is coming from someone who does not believe in wasting any part of an animal-- furs, bones, anything. I think it's, well, wasteful, and also a dishonor and complete disrespect to that animal to waste any part of it. I am also a bone collector. Besides a few bones that I have purchased specifically for ritual use and craft making (bought from ethical sources), the majority of mine are from roadkill that I have blessed and cleaned/processed myself..... I will say, that you should always try and source your purchases/supplies ethically. Just like with anything else-- food, clothes... ~Fathom

Ashe
06-30-2013, 06:01 PM
So pretty! And that skirt is genius ;)

Aziara
07-06-2013, 08:43 AM
I can't speak for all places that sell shells, starfish, etc. But as far as I know the majority of them come from *found* items, not "murdered mussels". I am an avid beach comber and the majority of my creations in the past and currently are made from shells and assorted things that I have found myself, on my local beach, washed up on the sand. I didn't go around digging up living clams and oysters, cracking them open, throwing away the meat (WHY would you waste one of the most nutrient-dense foods on this planet??) and all just for some pretty shells. And again, I can't vouch for "shell shacks" as to where they get their shells, starfish, and seahorses, but I don't see anything wrong with using these natural objects if they were found as-is/harvested ethically.... Of course this is coming from someone who does not believe in wasting any part of an animal-- furs, bones, anything. I think it's, well, wasteful, and also a dishonor and complete disrespect to that animal to waste any part of it. I am also a bone collector. Besides a few bones that I have purchased specifically for ritual use and craft making (bought from ethical sources), the majority of mine are from roadkill that I have blessed and cleaned/processed myself..... I will say, that you should always try and source your purchases/supplies ethically. Just like with anything else-- food, clothes... ~Fathom
I totally get that respect issue--I feel precisely the same way. I was raised on a farm, and we did our own butchery... I was taught, if you can possibly use it, don't throw it away! Even the stuff you can't eat gets put into the compost heap to feed next years garden. I guess you could say it's sort of a 'native' way of thinking of the animal. If you killed it, at least show the proper respect and make good use of it. I remember being horrified when I read about how in the past bison were killed for only the tongue!
Anyway, sorry for the hijacking of the thread... I totally love that hoopskirt/tail. I may have to make myself one eventually.

Kumori Kitsune
07-30-2013, 12:51 AM
So pretty Lol I have plastic shells