PDA

View Full Version : Really old sewing machine. HALP

Echidna
06-28-2013, 02:53 PM
My spandex fabric arrived today.
I had read up on which kind of needle and thread to use, but then I have a really old machine (over 30 years), it's a Privileg 470 and doesn't have any of the new fancy stitches (it does have zig-zag and straight).

Now, the owner of the store where I bought the fabric told me swimwear fabric cannot be sewn using a normal ballpoint needle and a zig-zag stitch (what I had planned), now I'm confused.
I really don't want to ruin the fabric!

I googled which thread to use (some say polyester thread is good for swimwear, but idk.
Would these be any good: http://www.amazon.de/Garn-Polyester-Standard-N%C3%A4hmaschine-N%C3%A4hfaden/dp/B002NLZO4G ?).
I don't have a superstretch needle (which apparently should be used), and I'm not sure whether it would fit at all into my machine.

Can somebody help?

MerMarla
06-28-2013, 04:09 PM
My spandex fabric arrived today.
I had read up on which kind of needle and thread to use, but then I have a really old machine (over 30 years), it's a Privileg 470 and doesn't have any of the new fancy stitches (it does have zig-zag and straight).

Now, the owner of the store where I bought the fabric told me swimwear fabric cannot be sewn using a normal ballpoint needle and a zig-zag stitch (what I had planned), now I'm confused.
I really don't want to ruin the fabric!

I googled which thread to use (some say polyester thread is good for swimwear, but idk.
Would these be any good: http://www.amazon.de/Garn-Polyester-Standard-N%C3%A4hmaschine-N%C3%A4hfaden/dp/B002NLZO4G ?).
I don't have a superstretch needle (which apparently should be used), and I'm not sure whether it would fit at all into my machine.

Can somebody help?

Hi Caltuna, Yes those threads are fine. Schmetz makes a "Stretch" needle specifically for these materials. The package I have says 130/705 H-S and the needle size is 75/11.

My Sewing machine is 30+ years old too, but has the stretch stitches. You can use zig zag for the seams. Ball point needles will not go thru the spandex fabric and might snag it. To answer your question on if these needles will fit your machine... I'm betting they will. Its the one standard all the manufactures of machines I have used have done is use the same design for the needle top. Sewing machine manufacturers are in the business to make sewing machines, and rarely their own needles.

Let me know if you need more help. PM me if you want!

Mermaid Marla

ShyMer
06-28-2013, 04:50 PM
That's interesting that the use of ball point needles aren't recommended. I was under the impression that ball point is what you're supposed to use. I may have gotten mixed up of course.

I used a zig zag stitch for my spandex tail and it was fine. Do you know why she said it wouldn't work, Marla?

Echidna
06-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Awesome, thanks so much!

I was thinking that the needles should actually fit every machine, but I wasn't sure, neither was my mother
(who owns the machine :D )
I'll buy the polyester threads then and look for the stretch needle.
Will be back if more problems arise
*runs off excitedly*

MerMarla
06-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi ShyMer!

I have no idea, except to maybe make a sale on a new or used machine that does stretch stitches. I would have to try a ball point needle again in some spandex, but had much more success with the Schmetz Stretch needles. These may be considered a ball point, but with a different type or smaller ball tip, to push aside the threads and not "cut" them causing raveling. I also know from experience... always start with a NEW needle. I have a bad habit of keeping old used needles and shame on me, because in the long run you don't need problems you can easily fix with a new needle. I run many scraps of my fabric even with a new needle, just to make sure its the right one. I have had a brand new needle snag. Only once in the 45+ years of constant sewing did that happen, but it can.

Stretch stitches are wonderful to have, but zig zag is all I had on knits growing up and learning to sew. You just have to balance the width and length of the zig zag for the specific fabric application, and in areas of high stress would run an off-set and displaced 2nd row of stitches. Better now than trying to fix it later!

Mermaid Marla

Triton-Mahtlinnie
06-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Odd, I've always had success sewing stretch fabrics (including neoprene and spandex) using my usually dual-duty thread and a denim needle. My machine is around 50 years old or so, it pretty much just does zig zag and straight stitch. (I can't even adjust stitch length) I just have to pay close attention to my tension when I sew stretch stuff.

Echidna
06-28-2013, 07:52 PM
:D
now that's encouraging!

I ordered polyester thread, and some 75 stretch needles 130/705, as recommended.
Gonna sew with zig-zag everywhere, unless my mother can unearth a stretch stitch on her machine
(she earlier said she could dimly remember something like that lol!).

This is my first self-made tail, and I hope it won't be the last! :)