PDA

View Full Version : LiquidNails on Lexan

LittleTreasure
06-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Hey guys! I'm trying to revamp my tail for a trip to Orlando that I'm taking in a few days! I've already been working on the tail skin, adding texture and sequins. But I also want to create a new monofin that fits the tail better than my Finis Wave. I'm using Lexan and some swim shoes as foot pockets. I've read the Titania Monofin tutorial and it goes into detail about solvent welding, but I'm not sure I can accomplish that... I was thinking of using LiquidNails to attach the supporting piece around the edges:

The piece is rather big (At least 30x30 inches I think)? and I don't want to waste the $70 I paid for the lexan by having it split or fall apart... so does anyone think LiquidNails would work to bond the supporting piece and the fin together? Will it break in the water due to its size? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

MerAnthony
06-28-2013, 06:51 PM
LittleTreasure liquid nails will not work. I did the same thing about putting edges on the outside for support. What will work is ( M E K )= methyl ethyl ketone. It's called cold fusion. Wipe the pieces that you are putting together with Isopropyl Alcohol first. ( to get the extra oil an film off ) then put the pieces together with a clamp. Not to tight but just enough to keep them together. Use a shot glass or something that will hold the MEK. MEK will eat plastic. Pour a small amount along the edge an you should see it go between the 2 pieces. Be sure you get both sides an on the tip an edges along the whole thing. Let it sit for 24 hours for full strength. Then can be sanded smooth or milled or what ever. What I told you is cold welding Lexan. I made my own monofin with lexan as well an I have not had a problem with it sence I made it last year.

LittleTreasure
06-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks MerAnthony! I thought I would ask before I started and ruined it. I just walked out of Home Depot with MEK substitute - that's all they sell - so I guess I'm trying that.

MerAnthony
06-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Try like an ACE hardware or a true value hardware. They do carry MEK.

LittleTreasure
06-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Try like an ACE hardware or a true value hardware. They do carry MEK.

As far as I know (from calling/driving around to several hardware stores today), the real MEK can't be sold in Arkansas because of a government mandate. This is only according to one guy at Fuller and Son though, so I'm not sure...but I'm probably going to be stuck with the substitute.

Jinx
07-25-2013, 03:07 AM
Tried liquid nails once and it desolves in water even when dry. Try Goop Marine Glue. Works great its at ace hardware and works like rubber cement where you put some on both things you are gluing wait 2 minutes or so then press them together. This stuff is clear and amazing.

LittleTreasure
07-27-2013, 12:42 PM
I tried something similar actually, after I found out I can't have MEK... I tried waterproof Loctite, and lo and behold, it worked like a charm!! It's rubbery, crystal clear and wonderful. I love my new fin and I'm now figuring out how to really make it work for me (It's a bit of a learning curve from a Finis Wave)...

PearlieMae
08-03-2013, 06:01 PM
I wa going to suggest an epoxy and Loctite has a lot to choose from. MEK is good for solvent welding, but it is very dangerous to work with!. I had to go to the hospital for MEK poisoning when a former employer had me work with it all day without explaining its toxicity.

Capt Nemo
08-05-2013, 08:03 PM
MEK is some noxious stuff! I passed out from fumes while working in the back of an aircraft with it.

Use methylene chloride instead for solvent welding.