PDA

View Full Version : Shark fin ban in California begins today.

deepblue
07-01-2013, 05:23 PM
YES! It's a good step in the right direction.

Shark fin ban in California begins today. (http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-dd-shark-fin-ban,0,6629903.story)

I especially like the last paragraph, because this is the truth of it.

In 2011, restaurant critic Jonathan Gold wrote an opinion piece deploring finning and urging a ban. "There is no third way with shark's fin — we either stop eating it because we choose to preserve the species, or we stop eating it because soon there will be none left to eat.

Of course, there are people claiming this is unfair to them and their traditions. I'm native american, I understand the value of tradition and culture- when it doesn't mutilate anyone against their will or destroy a species. But if a tradition is literally decimating a species and therefore damaging the ecosystem and throwing everything out of balance, and therby affecting everyone else, that tradition needs to die.

deepblue
07-01-2013, 05:27 PM
And don't even get me started on the way fins are collected these days.

Ashe
07-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Thank you! Finally something takes action. <3

Echidna
07-01-2013, 06:37 PM
But if a tradition is literally decimating a species and therefore damaging the ecosystem and throwing everything out of balance, and therby affecting everyone else, that tradition needs to die.

Not to mention, that such traditions usually developed when there were only a handful of people in the tribes in question.
The destructive ways of humans didn't matter much as long as there only existed a reasonable number of them (ecologically speaking; a few thousand probably).
As opposed to billions, and still reproducing as if the deluge had just happened.

deepblue
07-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Indeed- the way it used to be done, the way it used to be used, is so very different than today. The cultural view of shark fin soup was that it was something only the wealthy could do. And it's now a sad side effect of a blossom in economic status as well as more supply because of the methods of killing.

And it constantly blows my mind that the fin actually lends no flavor- none. It's a consistency that can be substituted, and the broth is made to taste exactly the same.

Those poor sharks. You know, when Gordon Ramsay even says a cuisine is cruel and destructive, that's saying something. I don't like him but I love the special he made about shark finning.

If you haven't seen it and you want to, it's here: http://youtu.be/4SAkq6lsnoE

Warning... incredibly upsetting footage is shown, but sometimes that's the only way to get through to people.

Echidna
07-01-2013, 08:44 PM
^^haven't watched it, but I can imagine.
(I throw a fit already when I see someone throwing out a fishing rod/net, so...)

It's one of the reasons why I left Asia.

Tropical islands, endless blue sea- and countless ships coming in with billions of tons of fish,
which then are gutted alive, and laid in the streets with their hearts still beating.
Shark finning and seasnake killing, the latter to make handbags (damn HANDBAGS!), even worse.

I loved it in Asia, and the climate is so much better for my health. Still consider it my home.
But I just couldn't watch what they do at the seas up close.

Apparently, the whole eastern and southern seas there are so overfished the big trawlers travel to Africa and Antarctica to fill their quota.

Spindrift
07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
This is great news! I think there's a ban in Hawaii and New York, too.