PDA

View Full Version : Which bits are best for drilling sea shells?

deepblue
07-03-2013, 09:13 PM
I've been doing a lot of research online and finding only a lot conflicting information. I'm hoping some of you with experience can tell me what you would recommend.

I want to drill through sea shells. Which kind of diamond tip bit is best? Twisted, cylinder, or?

Also, any advice about drilling shells is appreciated. Here's what I do know about it: Wear a dust mask and goggles, and they get quite hot, so it's best to drill them submerged in water.

Would using a spray bottle of water to keep spraying them work as well? Any advice on how to keep them still while drilling, since I don't have a press? I plan to buy a small Dremel for fine work.

Thanks in advance. :)

MerAnthony
07-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Ok When you buy the Dremel tool you will need the bits that look like all silver grinding bits not stone grinding bits. They are the ones used for ecthing glass. They will work perfect for making small holes in the shells with out breaking them. You do not need to use a water bottle just a small dish of water is needed to rince off the dust from the shells. The type of Dremel you should buy is the one with a cord not a battery pack. The battery pack doesn't last very long. I had one an it was garbage. But get one with ajustable speed, they work great for all types of crafts. ( I have 3 ) Do NOT use a twist bit. It will flake the shell an ruin it. An as for the bits. you can buy a small pack of diamond grinding bits. They have different types in the pack so you have your choice on what to use.

MerMarla
07-04-2013, 01:26 AM
Hi DeepBlue!

I use a small soft-jaw bench vise to hold small pieces on various projects I've worked over the years. Hubby bought it for me ages ago, it has a suction cup to hold it to the bench or counter. Since its getting old and the suction cup isn't working well, I use big C-clamps to hold it down. You should be able to get one for relatively inexpensive at either hobby stores or even Lowes / Home Depot. Just make sure there are soft rubbery edges to the jaws. If you need more softness use craft foam or, I have been known to just use several layers of paper towel. For sea shells, I probably wouldn't go any larger than a 3 inch jaw, the larger the jaw, the harder I found it to work tiny pieces. Sometimes you can get smaller vises used for jewelry making. I find having a bench vise indispensable, it's my third hand in lots of projects!

Hope this helps!

Mermaid Marla

deepblue
07-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Ok When you buy the Dremel tool you will need the bits that look like all silver grinding bits not stone grinding bits. They are the ones used for ecthing glass.~snip~ Do NOT use a twist bit. It will flake the shell an ruin it. An as for the bits. you can buy a small pack of diamond grinding bits. They have different types in the pack so you have your choice on what to use.

Thanks! The Dremel I was hoping to buy comes with a silicon carbide stone, which the page says is for etching. So, I could use that, then?

Hi DeepBlue!

I use a small soft-jaw bench vise to hold small pieces on various projects I've worked over the years.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. lol That's how out of my element this is. :)

Thank you both so much!

Paula Smiley
12-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Ok When you buy the Dremel tool you will need the bits that look like all silver grinding bits not stone grinding bits. They are the ones used for ecthing glass. They will work perfect for making small holes in the shells with out breaking them. You do not need to use a water bottle just a small dish of water is needed to rince off the dust from the shells. The type of Dremel you should buy is the one with a cord not a battery pack. The battery pack doesn't last very long. I had one an it was garbage. But get one with ajustable speed, they work great for all types of crafts. ( I have 3 ) Do NOT use a twist bit. It will flake the shell an ruin it. An as for the bits. you can buy a small pack of diamond grinding bits. They have different types in the pack so you have your choice on what to use.
Thank you, this was really helpful !

PearlieMae
12-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Very important when grinding shells and/or bone: ALWAYS use a particle mask! Not just one of those little surgical masks, but something to keep out the dust! It can be very toxic to inhale! Especially bone.

SAFETY FIRST!

avril10
01-16-2017, 12:56 AM
I've been doing a lot of research online and finding only a lot conflicting information. I'm hoping some of you with experience can tell me what you would recommend.

I want to drill through sea shells for sale. (http://www.obxstore.com/seashell-store/) Which kind of diamond tip bit is best? Twisted, cylinder, or?

Also, any advice about drilling shells is appreciated. Here's what I do know about it: Wear a dust mask and goggles, and they get quite hot, so it's best to drill them submerged in water.

Would using a spray bottle of water to keep spraying them work as well? Any advice on how to keep them still while drilling, since I don't have a press? I plan to buy a small Dremel for fine work.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hello
You’ll need some sort of rotary tool. I used a Dremel, but there are many other brands which I’m sure would work just as well.

The choice of bit is far more important. You want a diamond wheel point bit – this is basically a shaft with a sphere on the end which is covered in tiny diamonds. The diamonds are hard enough to cut through the glass and shell. They come in various sizes; the 4.4mm one is the best one for this job – it makes a nice-sized hole for threading onto twine, etc. but more importantly, it’s the only one where the cutting bit is smaller than the shaft.

PearlieMae
01-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Also, if you place a sponge in a plastic bowl with some water, you can brace the shell on the sponge and the water will cool the shell as you drill. Don't press hard with the drill, let the bit do the work, otherwise you'll shatter the shell.

Mermaid_Auquita_123
10-02-2017, 06:59 PM
I was wondering what do you store your mermaid tails in? Is it a mermaid bag?

Also, if you place a sponge in a plastic bowl with some water, you can brace the shell on the sponge and the water will cool the shell as you drill. Don't press hard with the drill, let the bit do the work, otherwise you'll shatter the shell.

Sent from my LGL56VL using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

Mermaid_Auquita_123
10-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Thanks that really helped

Sent from my LGL56VL using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

PearlieMae
10-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Actually, I've made stands from pvc pipe for my tails - think very tall and narrow pyramids - but usually, once they are cleaned and dried, i throw them over the back of a kitchen chair. :D I live alone, so they don't bother me or get in my way.

Mermaid_Auquita_123
10-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Can I see a picture of the pvc pipe stand