PDA

View Full Version : finis foil vs tail

Merrow Erie
07-06-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm saving like my life depends on it for a Raven tail, BUT it will probably be my first.

Since I've never swam in a tail, and I'm poor as shit, should I get a fabric one I can at least live with now, or get a monofin to practice with instead? Anyone been in this boat?

I'd love to get a fabric tail just to have one, but I really don't want to shell out $200 for something I'm not in love with. ALTHOUGH, that would give me an opportunity to try customizing my own tail... GAHH I HATE THIS GAME

Echidna
07-06-2013, 01:25 AM
It's highly recommended to learn underwater dolphin before buying a silicone tail
(they're heavy, and difficult to put on).
If you hate the idea of a fabric tail, no matter what it looks like (as I've said, there are ways to make a cloth tail look as good as any other material), learning on a monofin is a good solution, and will allow you to train without getting as many weird looks.

One can never have enough monofins anyway, and you might later on make your own tail to put it in.

Mermaid Tula
07-06-2013, 01:26 AM
I started out with my monofin, no modifications. then I modified it, then I made my own tail. It took me a while, but I finally found a fabric at Joann's fabric that I fell in love with. I'm still saving up for a tail from Finfolk Productions, but I know I'm not going to be able to get it anytime soon. I love my fabric tail. ^__^

Mermaid Varshana
07-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Starting with a silicone tail is NOT, NOT, NOT recommended. Has been stated numerous times in the community. I have started with a finis foil, I'm progressing to a mermaid shelly neoprene tail, and someday I might get a silicone one. Silicone tails aren't the end all be all of mermaiding, and plenty of us never get one :)

Mermaid Oshun
07-06-2013, 05:14 AM
I suggest you get 2 yards of stretch PVC, some Lumiere paints, and a finis foil monofin to make your own first tail. http://www.mjtrends.com/categories-Stretch-PVC,Fabric

Merrow Erie
07-06-2013, 07:41 AM
I don't have a sewing machineee and I've never used one in my life. I don't hate the idea of fabric tails, I'd love to get one. But even a lot of those are out of my price range right now. I don't want to start with silicone, believe me.

Mermaid Dottie
07-06-2013, 09:00 AM
You could start with neoprene. It can be glued, instead of sewn using a neoprene adhesive/sealant (which you can find at sporting goods stores, in the fishing aisles) and make the edges into a fringe. Makes it easier to take in, as well.
But whatever you do, buy a monofin to practice in. You're going to want to know what you're doing when you do get a silicone tail. Foils are a good option because they're inexpensive, and I think they look good inside tails. I'm actually going to ask for a foil in my next tail, because the straps don't have huge, sticky-outty clips on them, like the wave and competitor.