PDA

View Full Version : Hello MerNetwork

Sishakir
07-06-2013, 09:44 AM
My name is Luka, I'm 19 years old and living in Germany.

I am some kind of new to the mermaid community itself for I unfortunately didn't spent a lot of time swimming (and especially diving) during the last years. Nonetheless, neither my fascination for the ocean nor for fantasy is new. I think, it really started when I was about twelve years old and a close friend of mine asked me to promise her I'd never become an aduld. It was a really strange time for both of us because our friends started to act seriously and slowly stopped believing in all the mysteries which make a child's life worth living.
I think, I myself have changed a lot since that time - I am studying business administration and acting serious way too often but I never lost my fascination in fantasy. Within the last years, I visited a couple of medieval and fantasy spectacles, bought myself some medieval-based clothes, trained different theme-based stuff and so on. A few days days ago, I once again searched for some mermaid-related stuff on the internet. I found some photos and watched a few videos and suddenly, I knew again, why all this had fascinated me so much when I was a child. Now, I am about to get my first tail in about a few weeks and waiting for whatever will happen afterwards.

Well, I don't know if it fits here but I want to write something about the stuff I usually do, too.
One of my greatest passions is dancing. I used to dance the more "classical" dances for some years but when my partner did not want to continue, I wasn't motivated at all to find myself a new partner to dance with. That's why I started bellydancing a few months ago - something I really learned to enjoy, too.
Apart from that, I love reading, writing and painting/drawing (even though I am a terrible artist ^^"). I used to love riding, too but I havn't done this for some years right now and have no idea if I will do it again.

That's enough for this post, I guess. Sorry for me being a litte chaotic in mind and for all the grammar mistakes I certainly have integrated in the text. ;)

Echidna
07-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Well, hello there! *waves*
Welcome to Mernetwork!

You'll love it here.
There is a ton of useful information and many lovely people on here.

Dance- especially Bellydance- goes great with tailswimming!
(Bellydance moves can be done in a tail and look good in water)

If you ever are in the vicinity of Stuttgart, we should totally swim together :D

AniaR
07-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Welcome! I wasn't much of a swimmer either, and now, well, it's my life ;) hehe I think you'll fit in just fine here!

Kiule Moana
07-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Luka,

Welcome!! I understand what it's like to have friends that "grow-up" faster than you. My best friend and I used to enjoy fantasy together. Now that we're older, she thinks we were silly for ever loving mythology and the fake stories we would spend hours making up. She moved across country four years ago and she hasn't mentioned our "childhood games" since.

I still hold on to my passion for fantasy and mythology and I hope you will too. Sometimes it's nice to escape from reality and dive into you're imagination.

Enjoy the network!

~ Kiule Moana

Sishakir
07-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Caltuna: I feel like I've already read a few posts from almost every section of this forum - so many information and friendly people everywhere! :o
In fact, I live in Bremerhaven, so Stuttgart is quite some kilometers away but when I travel there the next time, I'd be glad if you wouldn't mind me to contact you before. ;)

Kiule Moana was faster than I was, so here the edit: Well, I think, I wouldn't have had the strengh to carry on with my belief if my friend had not asked me like this when we were young. I guess, it is really hard to even know how precious and important fantasy is when you start getting into adult age. All the more I am happy that you hold on to your passion even though your friend thinks otherwise today.

MerAnthony
07-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Welcome, I myself being an old mer(44) have never lost faith in fantasy. An beleive that anything is possable if you put your mind to it. There is a time an place for everything so don't worry an just be yourself.

Sishakir
07-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Aaand another thank you very much. :)

Mermaid Danielle
07-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Welcome!

MerMarla
07-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Welcome Luka, I wish my German was as good as your English! We are all here to enjoy each others accomplishments. Being a mermaid doesn't mean you have to have a tail! It's in your blood, heart and soul. You've come to the right place, as we honor each Mer for what they do to contribute to their goals, be it teaching children about the environment, saving whales and dolphins, writing stories or poetry, so many things being a Mermaid is about. We have many land-bound Mers here, with no ocean, river or lake nearby. They still do Mer activities, with or without a tail.

I am thrilled you are getting your tail! Ask many questions, and lots of knowledgeable mers will try to answer. I have loved fantasy since childhood, princesses and dragons, and Hans Christian Anderson's "Little Mermaid". Especially the art on the pages, my old books have beautiful drawings in them.

I am an old mermaid, too. MerAnthony is still a "young Merman"! :) I still swim, and am back to designing my fabric mermaid tail. I started swimming as a mermaid over 40 years ago. I will be 61 in September! You are in a wonderful place, we love new mers!

(((HUGz))) & Bubble https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/e/B0C'z
Mermaid Marla

Sishakir
07-08-2013, 01:39 PM
So many friendly people here o.O
Thank you, Danielle and Marla :)
Whoow, I hope, I will still be able to swim the way I want to when I have my 61th birthday! You really have my respect for this, Marla.

Mermaid Octavia
07-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Welcome Sishakir! /waves from the west coast

Never lose faith in fantasy - it's what keeps us young, I think. I'm almost 27 and have a "normal" career but I think what keeps me happy and grounded is being able to do what believe in. Being a mermaid has really changed my life for the better and I hope it does the same for you too!