PDA

View Full Version : I made a mermaid top ...

MermaidAubrin
08-28-2011, 11:16 PM
things you will need latex or ALEX plus ( i used ALEX plus because im am still waiting for latex and this was mostly a experiment) paint and/or pigments ( i used both for shimmer and for color) and lastly a bra top ( i used an adhesive bra from target i tested swimming with it and the adhesive stays on ) you can also but some netting over it and you can put seashells and/or fake sea weed ( i will put some shells and fake sea weed on to hide the clasp ) heer are some pictures from far away and a close up of the scales

How to
1. mix your pigments and/or paints into your alex or latx (for paint i used a dark blue createx paint and i only need 2 or 3 drops because the alex dries clear)
2. paint a thin layer of your alex or latex on
3. paint 2-4 thicker layers( set each layer with heat or wait to get mostly dry)
4. press netting into it ( i used the netting that come with tangerines it creates very small scales
5. let cure ( this takes a couple of weeks )

i hope this was helpful to any one wanting to make a scale top

AniaR
08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
beautiful job

MermaidAubrin
08-28-2011, 11:25 PM
beautiful job thank you :)

taom
08-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Oh! That looks so amazing! I am so going to try this out now. Thanks so much Aubrin!

MermaidAubrin
08-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Oh! That looks so amazing! I am so going to try this out now. Thanks so much Aubrin!Yay I'm glad I could help :)

Mermaid Saphira
08-29-2011, 10:25 AM
I love the color! Great job : )

Winged Mermaid
08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
I bought a self adhesive bra for my top as well. By the end of the WMA Pool Party and the VIP Pool party it has virtually no stick left, even though before the adhesive was REALLY strong. For me It's okay because it's just meant to make it comfy and doesn't depend on the adhesive, but just letting you know you may want to be careful. Possibly invest in some spirit gum or something to keep it on once the adhesive starts to go. Usually the people that depend on the adhesive more buy the brand bras. The reason they're expensive is that the adhesive lasts. I've owned a NuBra brand bra before, and the adhesive on it is SO much better than the off brand and lasts a LOT longer.

FreshWaterMermaid
12-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Wow! That looks great! Love the color choice too ;)
I bought one of those adhesive bras too, they are incredible! I totally can't wait to finish mine!
Thanks for the step by step pictures, that helps alot for those using alx or latex! ^_^

malinghi
12-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Great work, it looks awesome! I'd love to add this to MerNetwork's directory of how-to guides, so I proofread it and made a PDF version. May I have permission to post this on the list? Here's a link to the PDF version of your guide. Are there any changes you'd like to make to it?

http://mernetwork.com/imgs/How%20to%20Make%20a%20Scale%20Top.pdf

Mermaid Saphira
12-11-2011, 10:13 AM
^ Great job on the PFD Malinghi!

Mermaid Shelly
12-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Just a beautiful job! That color looks great on you too! :)

SweeteSiren
12-11-2011, 01:42 PM
What a wonderful idea! I love your creativity!

Mermaid Sirena
12-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I only just saw this thread, that is so incredibly helpful! Thank you so much for sharing!

malinghi
12-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Update: I just added the PDF to the list of how to guides! Thanks so much for making this!

http://mernetwork.com/index/content.php?135-Tutorials-and-How-to-Guides

mermaidondine
01-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Wow, what a great idea! I've been looking for something like this as I'm not personally a fan of the seashell bra top look. I wanted to do something scaly, and possibly nude/flesh-toned, so thank you for sharing this tutorial of your's! The only thing I'm worried about is that an adhesive bra may not hold the same on me as I'm fairly big-busted. Definitely worth a try though! I love the scale texture you did too, by the way. I love those smaller, more intricate scales. Great idea with the tangerine netting! :-)

gypsymer
01-24-2012, 07:36 PM
This looks wonderful!

Nim
03-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Thank you for the tutorial :3

MermaidAubrin
03-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Wow, what a great idea! I've been looking for something like this as I'm not personally a fan of the seashell bra top look. I wanted to do something scaly, and possibly nude/flesh-toned, so thank you for sharing this tutorial of your's! The only thing I'm worried about is that an adhesive bra may not hold the same on me as I'm fairly big-busted. Definitely worth a try though! I love the scale texture you did too, by the way. I love those smaller, more intricate scales. Great idea with the tangerine netting! :-)

Thanks! The same brand has ones for bigger busts, so you might want to chek that out.

Also the adhesive sadly does stop working after 3 or 4 swims, so what I did was take some elastic measure it around yourself and sew it to the sides and if you want extra "safety" like a halter as well :)

Mermaid Muir
05-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Thank you so much. This is really helpful!